Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Roundabouts: is it just NSW drivers?

Roundabouts: is it just NSW drivers?

Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:10 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Roundabouts: is it just NSW drivers?

I find it fascinating how, at roundabouts, 99% of drivers indicate "right" all the time they are negotiating the thing, even until way after they have left it!

The logical way is to assume that anyone already *on* a roundabout will continue turning until he indicates "left" to exit.

Almost *nobody* here indicates that they are leaving - so you always have to wait before entering a roundabout until you can see that they really are.

Is it only in NSW that drivers have lost the use of the "left" indicator? Is there a nationwide virus? Should we be scared?

We need to know........
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:14 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Roundabouts: is it just NSW drivers?

The majority of Cairns drivers have cured this little problem.

The buggers don't indicate at all and not just on roundabouts
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:46 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

We've found the WA drivers not too bad on roundabouts - you get the odd nutter who just pulls out in front of other drivers but good indication and generally they've got the right idea....

Must admit, driving around Bunbury is a lot more "sane" than Perth!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:54 pm
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I find it fascinating how, at roundabouts, 99% of drivers indicate "right" all the time they are negotiating the thing, even until way after they have left it!

The logical way is to assume that anyone already *on* a roundabout will continue turning until he indicates "left" to exit.

Almost *nobody* here indicates that they are leaving - so you always have to wait before entering a roundabout until you can see that they really are.

Is it only in NSW that drivers have lost the use of the "left" indicator? Is there a nationwide virus? Should we be scared?

We need to know........
Same in Qld and the NT....bless the aussie drivers, so easily confused. Can't wait till mini roundabouts arrive...
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:57 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Same in Qld, but as an Aussie relative once told me: "It's different in Australia, it's not the person on the right who goes first on a roundabout, it's whoever got there first".
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:28 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Roundabout rules for NSW

I am pretty sure the rules apply across Australia.....

I learnt to drive here and its how I use roundabouts...
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:33 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Del Boy
Same in Qld and the NT....bless the aussie drivers, so easily confused. Can't wait till mini roundabouts arrive...
Or the double mini roundabouts! Time to go by bus I think when they arrive. They cant work roundabouts for toffee where I am, quite funny to start with then the novelty wore off. Everyone stops at the roundabout entrances and noone knows the rule about giving way to your right, so they all try to enter together then hesitate, abort then try again. Looks like a bunch of chickens all trying to cross a road together.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:57 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldnt know whether to laugh or cry if double roundabouts made it to my part of QLD but it would make a great spectator sport. Think I would pull up a fold out chair and watch the carnage.

Originally Posted by arkon
Or the double mini roundabouts! Time to go by bus I think when they arrive. They cant work roundabouts for toffee where I am, quite funny to start with then the novelty wore off. Everyone stops at the roundabout entrances and noone knows the rule about giving way to your right, so they all try to enter together then hesitate, abort then try again. Looks like a bunch of chickens all trying to cross a road together.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 12:16 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
The problem stems from the "Defer to traffic already ON the roundabout" rule. Like the "Give way alternately at crossroads" rule in the USA, the priority isn't cut and dried. If (when) there is a collision it's up to who you believe as to who had priority: ie who got there first.

In the UK rules it's not subject to question - if you are hit by someone coming round the RAB you are the one at fault!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams

We need to know........
I think they must all be Brits living in NSW!
Only joking - but serioulsy, I could have written the very same thing about drivers using roundabouts here in the UK. It causes me many moments of severe road rage! "Why bother indicating that you are going right around the roundabout you turkey when there is no other way to go! I only want to know when you are getting off the damn thing so I can get on!" (I think I probably use a few other expletives when the children are not in the car.) A roundabout is useless if motorists don't use that left indicator, and nine times out of ten they don't (well, north of the border anyway).
In Western Australia, they did a series of TV and newspaper advertisements to advise people of the correct way to use a roundabout. They even had a police presence on some of the larger roundabouts for a while to get the message across. It seemed to work so maybe they should take this initiative nationwide.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 5:23 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

If driving like a useless, old, pedantic, nannyish tw*t was an olympic sport, Western Australia would win the gold medal every time.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 6:48 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If driving like a useless, old, pedantic, nannyish tw*t was an olympic sport, Western Australia would win the gold medal every time.
You'd have to invent a platinum medal for the folks in Taree and Port Mcq. You just have to see them trying to park in Port Mcq in the middle of the road 90degrees to the flow of trafic with no right or wrong way to enter the space. So you can enter from both sides, many times I've had a bit of a giggle as 2 cars try it in the same space from different sides of the road. I must take the video camera next time and film it. Got to be worth 500 quid.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:09 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone get the guy from Swindon who designed this.....

Get him over here and will provide hours of entertainment for all the expats
Old Oct 31st 2005, 7:20 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

They are obsessed with the giveway to the right rule at Queensland Transport it's just non of the drivers on the road know it... :scared: .

And school traffic women just make them stop for half an hour you'd think the car drivers had gone to sleep.
Old Oct 31st 2005, 10:54 am
Just Joined

romukmelau is on a distinguished road

God you are lucky living anywhere but bloody Melbourne - NO (Hardly) ANY ROUNDABOUTS HERE!!

God I wish they would scrap those trams and ditch all the bloody traffic lights THEY ARE A TOTAL NIGHTMARE!!!

I still dont get Melbourne - Big Roads, Big engined cars, slow speed limits and more traffic lights = TRAFFIC CHAOS + HIGH POLLUTION + LONG SLOW JOURNEYS

On top of that if you speed AT ALL you are fined!!!

Yes lets have the Magic Roundabout from Swindon England in Melbourne please!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.