Rotoura

Old Mar 12th 2003, 1:32 pm
Not here

Florida_03 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
Hello,
Thats where we are hopefully heading to. We had thought about Tauranga, but eventually settled for Rotorua. Relatively inexpensive housing, loads to do, fairly central for travelling etc etc
What sort of post was your wife offered? I'm a nurse.

Gill and Rob
Good on ya...glad to see that you are not following the sheep to Perth. New Zealand will be better place with your arrival...although it does have a lot of sheep...Kia Ora!
Old Mar 12th 2003, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I like sheep, although I couldn't eat a whole one......well not in one sitting.

Gill
Old Mar 13th 2003, 8:28 am
Just Joined

jezzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Hello,
Thats where we are hopefully heading to. We had thought about Tauranga, but eventually settled for Rotorua. Relatively inexpensive housing, loads to do, fairly central for travelling etc etc
What sort of post was your wife offered? I'm a nurse.

Gill and Rob
Hi we are heading for Tauranga next month and my wifes a nurse too.
Maybe we could meet up when you arrive.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It would be great to meet up, I'll send you a PM/email.
If it doesn't arrive contact me direct, I'm still very new to all this.

Gill and Rob
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

gowie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rotoura

Hi
It would be great to meet up, I'll send you a PM/email.
If it doesn't arrive contact me direct, I'm still very new to all this.

Gill and Rob
Hi,

Maybe we could all meet up sometime in the future, as it's always good to have some contact with the "natives". My wife is an Occupational Therapist, and i'm a Buyer so we'll never run short of medical issues to talk about! Whats a PM, as this is all very new to us.

Gowie.
Old Mar 13th 2003, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Hello

PM is private message, I'm still finding out about how to use all this myself !!. Check out the home page {I think I might have sent you an email}
Do you have a job to go to out there?

Gill and Rob
Old Mar 13th 2003, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

PM is private message, I'm still finding out about how to use all this myself !!. Check out the home page {I think I might have sent you an email}

Gill and Rob

hi all!

this is great! where have all you nurses been hiding until now! i'm another one and hoping to settle in christchurch althought am going to nz on holiday next month so that could change.

i take it you all have jobs lined up already. how did you do that? are you dealing with recruitment agencies or going it alone?

would be really pleased if you could pass on any info especially if anyone has sussed the salary end of things. i would love an idea of what to try to negotiate in case i get to that stage next month!

if you want to send personal messages by the way, just go to "my forum" tab at the top and its all in there. just fill in the user name you want to contact and the subject and write a short message. it can only deal with 1000 characters i think so don't write a whole screed coz you will have to delete it all out again! been there i'm afraid!

look forward to more nurse talk!
Old Mar 13th 2003, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

gowie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Gill and Rob
No, my wife is currently being considered for a post in rotorua and i'll hopefully pick up something when we get there, even if it's not in my line of work.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 5:55 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Rotorua has a high population of maori, take that how you want.
And i beleive that pakeha is maori for white man.Going on my home work Rotorua has got a small ammount of industry,Also nick named as 'sulphur city'.I don't know about you but when i looked at where to live on the east coast of the north island one of my considerations was earthquakes. Hastings hawkes bay has had its fair share in its past.i fact in 1931 the place was completely flattened
Old Mar 14th 2003, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Florida_03
Sorry gowie can't help myself have a look at...

http://www.activenewzealand.com/new-zealand-history.htm

The Mäori are a proad and fierce people who I admire greatly. It would pay great dividends to understand them and the history. Remember that they signed a treaty and never capitulated to the British...New Zealand was never a true colony like Australia...
Only someone living outside NZ could make that statement. I think you will find Maori culture is not so widely respected by Pakeha in NZ as you would like to think. Their history is not exactly glorious!! But don't just take my word for it http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepres...1a6427,00.html
Old Mar 14th 2003, 10:09 pm
on the road again member

travelling_kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rotoura

Originally posted by gowie
My wife and i are looking at moving to NZ in the next couple of months, she has been offered a post in the Rotoura region of the North Island. Can anyone provide info on the place as to standard of living and general outlook on migrants?

Thanks.
if you like getting outa the house this town is perfect.
is a popular destination for kiwis also, offers biking, lake oriented activities, skydiving, geothermal hooha to look at & of course the luge which still has some skin off my elbows/knees on its track - basically there are all sorts of things to see & do to keep you amused.
no visit to NZ is complete without a stop in rotorua and is therefore a good place to entertain your visiting family & guests.
not too far from the coast & all important coromandel.

rotorua will always be an economically sound town mostly due to tourism, forestry & farming. climate is fairly decent.
i would definitely live there.
Old Mar 14th 2003, 10:31 pm
Now in Tauranga

ratliffe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
Only someone living outside NZ could make that statement. I think you will find Maori culture is not so widely respected by Pakeha in NZ as you would like to think. Their history is not exactly glorious!! But don't just take my word for it http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/thepres...1a6427,00.html
I'm a bit confused with that comment!
1,it was not a statement
2,i was purley giving a little knowledge of what i have read one that off being that rotorua has a population of moari, i even said you can take that how you want so as not to make it as a racial comment.seems i cant win either way!!
Old Mar 15th 2003, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Jaffa30 is an unknown quantity at this point

ratcliffe, i think muppetking's comments were directed towards florida_03.

i am in shock as i am finding myself agreeing with muppetking quick, i need a beer

it's only my opinion, but while relations between pakeha (white caucasians) and the maori are pretty good, there is some 'friction' there. some pakeha are resentful of maori land claims and the way some of the tribes have wasted government funds which were provided to help them develop enterprise.