Reload this Page >

Rockhampton, QLD

Rockhampton, QLD

Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:39 am
highwayman59

Highwayman59 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Rockhampton, QLD

Hi Guys,
Is there anybody out there able to tell me anything about Rockhampton. I am a civil engineer may have the opportunity to be interviewed for Works Engineer with the city council....I'll know if the interview is to go ahead later tonight, but if anyone has been, Lives there any information gratefully received....

Cheers
Old Mar 1st 2007, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rockhampton, QLD

Originally Posted by Highwayman59
Hi Guys,
Is there anybody out there able to tell me anything about Rockhampton. I am a civil engineer may have the opportunity to be interviewed for Works Engineer with the city council....I'll know if the interview is to go ahead later tonight, but if anyone has been, Lives there any information gratefully received....

Cheers
More commonly called Rocky and plenty in Mackay from there because of work situation. Sorry but you need bumped up to get better info.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Hi Guys,

Cheers

Hi Highwayman59

We live here in Rocky. Moved out last Septemeber. It's not too bad a place but given that it's the only part of Oz that I have really seen I can't compare it to anywhere else. One of the locals said to me when we first got here that 'Rocky is country without being too country'. I think I am slowly beginning to understand what she meant. The people here are very friendly. It takes us about 30 mintues to get to the coast but having moved from the Midlands it's like having the beach on your doorstep.

Everyone was warning us about the heat when we first arrived and how we were going to suffer in the summer but it really hasn't been too bad. It does get hot and humid but nothing really life threatening. If you live out here though air con is a must and as long as you use it, it's fine.

Not too sure about the night life because being old stick in the muds we tend not to go out late of an evening. There are plenty of places to dine out and of course, loads of take aways The public transport system is virtually non-existent. I don't drive and I manage to cope. The are plenty of good schools. There are three state secondary, god knows how many primary but there are plenty of private schools, which I am told are very good. For the older kids there is the TAFE and a local uni.

There are enough shops to keep me going, the majority are situated on the north side whereas you have the CBD south of the river. We have the usual Bunnings, Harvey Norman and so on, so no problems getting the house kitted out. Water supplies are very good here and much to the disgust of some people can still use hose pipes on the lawns.

House prices, to buy and rent, like many other places, are experiencing significant increases. I can't really compare rates and water prices to anywhere else but they are no more than what we were paying in the UK. There are some very nice areas to live but like most places there are also some not so nice areas. There are several flights daily to Brisbane and we do get the odd one or two trains stop by too! I don't think a place where you get many expats but there are one or two of us about.

Overall it suits us very nicely at the minute. If you need to know anything else just ask.

good luck

Mx
Old Mar 1st 2007, 3:50 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I live at Yeppoon 30 minutes from Rocky........hubby works in Rocky and commutes every day... quiet road so no worries there....we love it here sooo chilled out. Send me a pm if you want to know anymore and I will see what I can do to help.
H
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:29 pm
highwayman59

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
Hi Highwayman59

We live here in Rocky. Moved out last Septemeber. It's not too bad a place but given that it's the only part of Oz that I have really seen I can't compare it to anywhere else. One of the locals said to me when we first got here that 'Rocky is country without being too country'. I think I am slowly beginning to understand what she meant. The people here are very friendly. It takes us about 30 mintues to get to the coast but having moved from the Midlands it's like having the beach on your doorstep.

Everyone was warning us about the heat when we first arrived and how we were going to suffer in the summer but it really hasn't been too bad. It does get hot and humid but nothing really life threatening. If you live out here though air con is a must and as long as you use it, it's fine.

Not too sure about the night life because being old stick in the muds we tend not to go out late of an evening. There are plenty of places to dine out and of course, loads of take aways The public transport system is virtually non-existent. I don't drive and I manage to cope. The are plenty of good schools. There are three state secondary, god knows how many primary but there are plenty of private schools, which I am told are very good. For the older kids there is the TAFE and a local uni.

There are enough shops to keep me going, the majority are situated on the north side whereas you have the CBD south of the river. We have the usual Bunnings, Harvey Norman and so on, so no problems getting the house kitted out. Water supplies are very good here and much to the disgust of some people can still use hose pipes on the lawns.

House prices, to buy and rent, like many other places, are experiencing significant increases. I can't really compare rates and water prices to anywhere else but they are no more than what we were paying in the UK. There are some very nice areas to live but like most places there are also some not so nice areas. There are several flights daily to Brisbane and we do get the odd one or two trains stop by too! I don't think a place where you get many expats but there are one or two of us about.

Overall it suits us very nicely at the minute. If you need to know anything else just ask.

good luck

Mx
Thank you for the info, latest news is that I have spoken with my potential employer and they are going to fly myself and my wife out next week for an interview and a look see.
My problem is that we have yet to start the visa process (employer is aware of this) and I am concerned about this, I am over 45! Another issue is that of my son who is 20 has very little work experience having moved to NZ with us a year and a half ago straight from college. Here in NZ he was not allowed a work visa and the poor lad is bored stupid and wants to work, I am worried that he could be in the same situation moving to OZ!!
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all

Thank you for the info, latest news is that I have spoken with my potential employer and they are going to fly myself and my wife out next week for an interview and a look see.
My problem is that we have yet to start the visa process (employer is aware of this) and I am concerned about this, I am over 45! Another issue is that of my son who is 20 has very little work experience having moved to NZ with us a year and a half ago straight from college. Here in NZ he was not allowed a work visa and the poor lad is bored stupid and wants to work, I am worried that he could be in the same situation moving to OZ!!
Good luck with the interview. My OH was just over 45 when we started the visa process so there are ways and means around it. Hope it all works out for you especially your son. I know what it's like to be stuck at home bored all day. I have an unrestricted work vias but nobody wants to give me a job Oh well I;ll keep trying. Let us know how the interview goes.

good luck

Mx
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:30 am

Good luck with the interview mate. Perhaps a chat with an immigration agent would be a good idea. I can give u the name of the one we used here in Oz if u want, ge me a shout
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:34 am
highwayman59

Originally Posted by micmay3_in_oz
Good luck with the interview. My OH was just over 45 when we started the visa process so there are ways and means around it. Hope it all works out for you especially your son. I know what it's like to be stuck at home bored all day. I have an unrestricted work vias but nobody wants to give me a job Oh well I;ll keep trying. Let us know how the interview goes.

good luck

Mx
M, thanks for the info, I beleive you are right about the age thing, from the research I've done I think it then comes downm to the employer to prove that you are the best they could get for the job in question. I'll give it my best and we'll see what happens. In any event we do not want to stay in NZ so if it all goes belly up it's back to Blighty for us...
Old Mar 6th 2007, 12:36 am
highwayman59

M, thanks for the info, I beleive you are right about the age thing, from the research I've done I think it then comes downm to the employer to prove that you are the best they could get for the job in question. I'll give it my best and we'll see what happens. In any event we do not want to stay in NZ so if it all goes belly up it's back to Blighty for us...
Biggy,
Again thank you for your good wishes...If you could provide those details I would be very grateful...

Cheers.....
Old Mar 9th 2007, 9:40 pm

Biggy,
Again thank you for your good wishes...If you could provide those details I would be very grateful...

Cheers.....
How did it go mate, I waved to ya lol did u see me H
Old Mar 11th 2007, 7:57 pm
highwayman59

Originally Posted by biggy
How did it go mate, I waved to ya lol did u see me H
Interview went very well and I was offered a job... I am waiting to hear if I can get the required visas...and they have to check my qualifications. Managed to get out to Yeppoon and had a nice lunch at the Marina, got to see the Rydges resort and most importantly for OH the shopping Mall in Rocky
Spent Friday night in Brisbane before flying back to Dunedin Saturday Morning...

Colin.......
Old Mar 11th 2007, 10:25 pm

Interview went very well and I was offered a job... I am waiting to hear if I can get the required visas...and they have to check my qualifications. Managed to get out to Yeppoon and had a nice lunch at the Marina, got to see the Rydges resort and most importantly for OH the shopping Mall in Rocky
Spent Friday night in Brisbane before flying back to Dunedin Saturday Morning...

Colin.......
Excellent stuff mate...did you like Yeppoon....you must have driven past my door well almost haha!!!! The marina is lovely and if you have a spare 1.2 mill u can get a lovely unit there!!!!!!

Rocky has several shopping Malls, theres city centre plaza which was along from your hotel...there is also Kmart [laza which is getting knocked down and rebuilt.......there is also Stocklands, Redhill and a few more in the pipeline. Depending on which way you came through Yeppoon you may have noticed the new Plaza being built there, its going to be fab when its finished as we wont need to go into Rocky any more. Best of luck with the job
H