Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Road trip to Queensland... would love your advice and recommendations

Road trip to Queensland... would love your advice and recommendations

Old Dec 26th 2009, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Road trip to Queensland... would love your advice and recommendations

Has anyone driven from Melbourne to the Gold Coast/Brisbane/Sunshine Coast? If so I would love to hear about your trip. Which route you took, where you stayed, how long did it take???
I know this thread has probably already been done but we just wanted to get some up to date information as we are starting to think about a trip up there....

Thanks in advance

Gina
Old Dec 26th 2009, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Road trip to Queensland... would love your advice and recommendations

We drive up the Newell Highway and through Parkes, Armadale and Tenterfield and that way. The Newell has lots of trucks and its pretty boring for a while we take three days to do it. We like to have stopovers and look around. Also driven the Hume through Sydney and up the coast but again that road is pretty dangerous towards the QLD border lots of trucks.
Old Dec 26th 2009, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Road trip to Queensland... would love your advice and recommendations

hi guys
If you want something to see along the way here is a link to a map of big things around oz. There are plenty to see along the east coast and it could bring you to places you might otherwise not see.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...1b697f7f49&z=4
Old Dec 27th 2009, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

calNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to allcalNgary is a name known to all

We have just returned from driving Adelaide to Brisbane with our 2 children and we had a great time. I got loads of feedback before planning my route and we were really impressed with the places we saw.We purposely avoided the highways and towns notoriuos with big trucks,, feel free to drop me a pm or e-mail and i will send you the route we took and the places we stayed at. We didn't drive coastal though (due to time restrictions and wanting to see some country).

A must is the Waterfall Way,, stunning scenery in parts.

Credit to the volunteers who run the driver reviers they are stars and make a cracking cuppa to wake you up a bit en-route!!

Cal x
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

We just went this way as part of 6 months traveling in a campervan.

From Melboure we went to Philip Island for a few days. Then back up through Melbourne and drove till we got to Albany for the night. Then drove on and stopped in Kiama, NSW for a couple of days, really nice. Next onto Sydney (hated it) before heading north stopping at Hawkes Nest, Port Macquaire, Coffs Harbour, skip Byron its a dump, then into QLD. Nice place on the Gold Coast is Coolangatta before heading to Brisbane, into Maroochydoore, Coolum Beach, Noosa Heads.

Plenty to see and do once you get into QLD. Personally we didn't like NSW that much but each to there own. Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

UK-2-OZ will become famous soon enoughUK-2-OZ will become famous soon enough

Hi Gina
It depends on how long you have to get up there.
We have done this journey twice now and loved it each time.
Once we went coastal, it took forever but we had 4 weeks holiday.
The 2nd time we went up the Newell, take a look here for places to stay and see on route: http://www.newellhighway.org.au/
Going we stayed 3 nights in Coonabarabran (approx half way) an unusual and delightful B & B, I would highly recommend and hopefully we will get back to soon: http://www.pilligapottery.com.au/old_schoolhouse.html
Coming back we stayed in Dubbo. I wish we would have had more time there but when you know you have to go home sometimes you just want to get back.
I am not sure when you are thinking of going but there is the annual Elvis Festival in Parkes every January. http://www.parkeselvisfestival.com.au/
Have a great time
Kate
Old Dec 28th 2009, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Gina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this pointGina123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all so much for taking the time to respond.

I have been looking into all recommendations. We are looking at taking the Newell Highway from Melbourne on the way there, and I have sent an email to the owners of the Piliga pottery in Coonabarabran to see if they have vacancies... that looks like a lovley place to stay! Hopefully we will be able to stop off there for a couple of nights to break the trip up!
From there I am looking into other places to stay for one night inbetween Coonabarabran and Burleigh Heads. (any advice or recommendations appreciated)!!!

Just another quick question, we are planning on having a week on the GC so we can go to the theme parks, etc etc and someone has said to avoid surfers and get accomodation in Burleigh Heads. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice on good hotels/apartments in this area?

We are then trying to decide which way to return home, and were thinking maybe we would return on the coastal route, with 2 overnight stop offs on the way back??? Although the jury is still out on that one!

Again thanks to all who have replied... I didnt have a clue where to start planning this trip... but Im getting there now!