Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rising NZ house prices

Rising NZ house prices

Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rising NZ house prices

Is anyone else worried about this? Just read an article in the Press newspaper (via stuff.co.nz) that house prices in Christchurch have risen by something like 21.5% in the past year and in Dunedin by 26.4 (from memory)! The article goes on to talk of speculation of rising prices for the next 18 months or so and then stabalising or pulling back a bit!! Typical, I thought! No-one wants to live in NZ until we want to go and then their prices take a hike and we can't sell the blessed house we have here!!

Sorry, but personally I blame this forum! I think it's time to stop talking about how great a place we all think NZ is!!

Last edited by jajpe; Aug 20th 2003 at 10:00 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Prices in Auckland are still on the move. I bought in Mar 03 and the estate agent reckons that we are seeing growth of 2.5% per quarter.

The market looks set to remain strong because interest rates are on a downward turn and there is a healthy flow of migrants looking to buy property.

In the desirable parts of Auckland there are lots of buyers chasing not too many properties which drives the prices up.

Average house prices are still low in comparison to the UK and migrants coming here with a few pounds from the sale of UK property should be OK depending on what your expectations are.

The avarege house price in Auckland is about $360k but nice houses in nice suburbs in good school zones cost a lot more
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

Bladesman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by smithone
Prices in Auckland are still on the move. I bought in Mar 03 and the estate agent reckons that we are seeing growth of 2.5% per quarter.

The market looks set to remain strong because interest rates are on a downward turn and there is a healthy flow of migrants looking to buy property.

In the desirable parts of Auckland there are lots of buyers chasing not too many properties which drives the prices up.

Average house prices are still low in comparison to the UK and migrants coming here with a few pounds from the sale of UK property should be OK depending on what your expectations are.

The avarege house price in Auckland is about $360k but nice houses in nice suburbs in good school zones cost a lot more
couldnt agree more, I am trying to buy in Auckland at the moment and you cannot find a house for love nor money. I am looking in West Auckland and the market has gone crazy, I would say that 2.5% per quarter is a very conservative estimate.
I agree with the comparison to the UK (especially souther England). It is a commonly held belief that it is the migrants that are upping the house prices.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rising NZ house prices

Originally posted by jajpe
Is anyone else worried about this? Just read an article in the Press newspaper (via stuff.co.nz) that house prices in Christchurch have risen by something like 21.5% in the past year and in Dunedin by 26.4 (from memory)! The article goes on to talk of speculation of rising prices for the next 18 months or so and then stabalising or pulling back a bit!! Typical, I thought! No-one wants to live in NZ until we want to go and then their prices take a hike and we can't sell the blessed house we have here!!

Sorry, but personally I blame this forum! I think it's time to stop talking about how great a place we all think NZ is!!
It's all relative. You make 20,30 or more % profit in £'s here and you have to pay 20,30 or more % in $NZ. You're still quids in aren't you?
When we sold our first house to move to a bigger house, but more importantly one with better schools in the area, we dropped the price to a level that was hard to resist. We had tried to sell a few years earlier, on the market for 12 months, no joy, so we gave up. When it became more important and urgent for us to move, we put up with the drop in price and sold within weeks. It depends on how keen you are to move I suppose. Best of luck. LMS
ps PM soon on way re nursing standards.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree its all relative and depends on what part of the UK you live in and what your expectations are over here. If you wnat to live in 4/5 bedroom home in Devonport, Remuera, Mission Bay areas then you'll not get much change out of $1m which is still a lot of money even if you have enjoyed healthly profits in the UK.

I still own a flat in London which I bought for 190k in Nov 2001, the price jumped to about 255k by Sep 02 but has now dropped to about 240k. The market in the part of London where I own seems flat whereas Auckland is on the up.

The price is not so much the issue in my expereince more a case of availability. Me and my wife looked at about 100 properties before we bought a place that we like but not perfect.