British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   A rising force to be reckoned with... AUSTRALIA!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/rising-force-reckoned-australia-538869/)

WelshSarah May 26th 2008 12:14 am

A rising force to be reckoned with... AUSTRALIA!!!

Just read this with some interest... We got here in time eh!!:thumbsup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ralia_and.html

Amazulu May 26th 2008 1:04 am

Re: A rising force to be reckoned with... AUSTRALIA!!!

Originally Posted by justsarah (Post 6393445)
Just read this with some interest... We got here in time eh!!:thumbsup:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ralia_and.html

A great article, although I think this guy is overstating it a bit. Australia is getting more powerful but only on a limited, regional basis. To be a major power, Australia can only do this in an alliance - and the ally will be/is the US.
As I work in resources I can see the scale of what is going on here. It is truly breathtaking. I'm so glad we chose Australia to live. The future here is so bright, you've gotta wear shades!

renth May 26th 2008 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6393527)
The future here is so bright, you've gotta wear shades!

Yeah, if you're in the resources sector it is. It's just getting more and mores expensive for everyone else.

Amazulu May 26th 2008 1:28 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 6393533)
Yeah, if you're in the resources sector it is. It's just getting more and mores expensive for everyone else.

I hear you. Maybe I am out of touch with reality.

Thought of changing careers?

renth May 26th 2008 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6393568)
I hear you. Maybe I am out of touch with reality.

Thought of changing careers?

Nah, I've got a job for life at the Uni. I'll still be here long after the boom is over.. It's a bit like tortoise and hare, I'm the tortoise.

But I guess you, the hare will have retired long before I do.

Amazulu May 26th 2008 1:41 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 6393571)
Nah, I've got a job for life at the Uni. I'll still be here long after the boom is over.. It's a bit like tortoise and hare, I'm the tortoise.

Sure. I'm 45 now and I will be done with this by the time I am 50. At 50 I plan to semi-retire/work from home for 2-3 days per week.

I guess I'm lucky to be working in resources at this time and to have the income to enable me to plan this. On the other hand, I don't think that I am that highly skilled. It's just that my skills are just right for here and now - and there is a huge shortage for them. I doubt whether I would have had the same opportunities if I had stayed in the UK. Relatively young guys like me, with the experience that I have, do not exist in Australia - and they are not moving here either.

renth May 26th 2008 1:48 am

I've got a job for life at the Uni.

Plus I get to letch at all the hot undergrads all day long. That's got to be worth 10 grand a year, at least.

Amazulu May 26th 2008 2:05 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 6393594)
Plus I get to letch at all the hot undergrads all day long. That's got to be worth 10 grand a year, at least.

Gotta be good! Although this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too. Maybe they are attracted to Andrew Forrest's billions!

WelshSarah May 26th 2008 2:17 am

This sounds like Zoo magazine!!!

Big Galah May 26th 2008 2:47 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 6393624)
...this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too...

:lol: Though there's the, ahem, "frustration", that goes with that too - the "what would I give", if you get my meaning...

DunRoaminTheUK May 26th 2008 3:04 am

Gotta be good! Although this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too. Maybe they are attracted to Andrew Forrest's billions!

I await the reaction with a great sense of anticipation. :lol:

rabsody May 26th 2008 6:47 am

Gotta be good! Although this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too.

What a delightful turn of phrase to describe your female coworkers. :mad: Dearie me, the Pankhursts would be turning in their graves.

Amazulu May 26th 2008 6:54 am

Originally Posted by rabsody (Post 6394090)
What a delightful turn of phrase to describe your female coworkers. :mad:

That's because they look delightful. :)

Budawang May 26th 2008 10:24 am

There are a number of countries that are setting the standard in their region or globally. They're mostly smallish countries like Norway, Ireland, Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark, Singapore, Hong Kong (if you count it as a country) and UAE. These countries are kicking ass for the quality of life they offer their citizens compared to some of the bigger world powers. I would say Australia can be included in this group.

What do these countries have in common? Most of them value creativity, good governance and provide a low risk environment for investors. Their enviable lifestyles attract talented people from around the world.

Despite its massive natural advantages, the US is suffering severely because it no longer offers the enviable lifestyle it once did and can no longer attract top talent. Who would want to live in a country which spends most of its tax dollars on massive military, penal and judicial systems rather than healthcare, education and public infrastructure? Even travelling to the US for a short term assisgnment, business trip or convention isn't much fun these days. Security phobia is in your face, airports are often chaotic and people are stressed.

Creative jobs are the jobs of the future. Countries embroiled in military quagmires and obsessed with security cannot nurture a creative environment. Is it a coincidence that some of GM's best designers are in Australia? Is it a coincidence that America's ivy league colleges can no longer automatically attract the best international students?

Wol May 26th 2008 10:52 am

Ah - remember the Zeno paradox <g>