Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A rising force to be reckoned with... AUSTRALIA!!!

A rising force to be reckoned with... AUSTRALIA!!!

Old May 26th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold
Default A rising force to be reckoned with... AUSTRALIA!!!

Just read this with some interest... We got here in time eh!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ralia_and.html
Old May 26th 2008, 1:04 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A rising force to be reckoned with... AUSTRALIA!!!

Originally Posted by justsarah
Just read this with some interest... We got here in time eh!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...ralia_and.html
A great article, although I think this guy is overstating it a bit. Australia is getting more powerful but only on a limited, regional basis. To be a major power, Australia can only do this in an alliance - and the ally will be/is the US.
As I work in resources I can see the scale of what is going on here. It is truly breathtaking. I'm so glad we chose Australia to live. The future here is so bright, you've gotta wear shades!
Old May 26th 2008, 1:08 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The future here is so bright, you've gotta wear shades!
Yeah, if you're in the resources sector it is. It's just getting more and mores expensive for everyone else.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:28 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Yeah, if you're in the resources sector it is. It's just getting more and mores expensive for everyone else.
I hear you. Maybe I am out of touch with reality.

Thought of changing careers?
Old May 26th 2008, 1:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I hear you. Maybe I am out of touch with reality.

Thought of changing careers?
Nah, I've got a job for life at the Uni. I'll still be here long after the boom is over.. It's a bit like tortoise and hare, I'm the tortoise.

But I guess you, the hare will have retired long before I do.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

Nah, I've got a job for life at the Uni. I'll still be here long after the boom is over.. It's a bit like tortoise and hare, I'm the tortoise.

Sure. I'm 45 now and I will be done with this by the time I am 50. At 50 I plan to semi-retire/work from home for 2-3 days per week.

I guess I'm lucky to be working in resources at this time and to have the income to enable me to plan this. On the other hand, I don't think that I am that highly skilled. It's just that my skills are just right for here and now - and there is a huge shortage for them. I doubt whether I would have had the same opportunities if I had stayed in the UK. Relatively young guys like me, with the experience that I have, do not exist in Australia - and they are not moving here either.
Old May 26th 2008, 1:48 am
(It's not my real name)

I've got a job for life at the Uni.
Plus I get to letch at all the hot undergrads all day long. That's got to be worth 10 grand a year, at least.
Old May 26th 2008, 2:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Plus I get to letch at all the hot undergrads all day long. That's got to be worth 10 grand a year, at least.
Gotta be good! Although this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too. Maybe they are attracted to Andrew Forrest's billions!
Old May 26th 2008, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

WelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to beholdWelshSarah is a splendid one to behold

This sounds like Zoo magazine!!!
Old May 26th 2008, 2:47 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

...this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too...
Though there's the, ahem, "frustration", that goes with that too - the "what would I give", if you get my meaning...
Old May 26th 2008, 3:04 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta be good! Although this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too. Maybe they are attracted to Andrew Forrest's billions!
I await the reaction with a great sense of anticipation.
Old May 26th 2008, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta be good! Although this office seems to be turning into hot bitch central too.
What a delightful turn of phrase to describe your female coworkers. Dearie me, the Pankhursts would be turning in their graves.
Old May 26th 2008, 6:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by rabsody
What a delightful turn of phrase to describe your female coworkers.
That's because they look delightful.
Old May 26th 2008, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

There are a number of countries that are setting the standard in their region or globally. They're mostly smallish countries like Norway, Ireland, Switzerland, Iceland, Denmark, Singapore, Hong Kong (if you count it as a country) and UAE. These countries are kicking ass for the quality of life they offer their citizens compared to some of the bigger world powers. I would say Australia can be included in this group.

What do these countries have in common? Most of them value creativity, good governance and provide a low risk environment for investors. Their enviable lifestyles attract talented people from around the world.

Despite its massive natural advantages, the US is suffering severely because it no longer offers the enviable lifestyle it once did and can no longer attract top talent. Who would want to live in a country which spends most of its tax dollars on massive military, penal and judicial systems rather than healthcare, education and public infrastructure? Even travelling to the US for a short term assisgnment, business trip or convention isn't much fun these days. Security phobia is in your face, airports are often chaotic and people are stressed.

Creative jobs are the jobs of the future. Countries embroiled in military quagmires and obsessed with security cannot nurture a creative environment. Is it a coincidence that some of GM's best designers are in Australia? Is it a coincidence that America's ivy league colleges can no longer automatically attract the best international students?
Old May 26th 2008, 10:52 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Ah - remember the Zeno paradox <g>