Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rip off Australia!

Rip off Australia!

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rip off Australia!

Cheap pizzas, I would rather see cheap fruit and veg, junk food is cheap, take that whopper/hungry jacks type stuff, also a fraction of the price here, but all full of hydrogenated fat, a concern when you think that the levels allowed here are banned in some countries.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Some of us have. It's time you stopped painting us with the same brush.

ZX.......
Sorry, I thought you were liking it here? I didn't mean everyone anyway as I'm still here and I can't stand the place.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond reputePommie Granite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
(Best not to get involved) ...In world of his own, me thinks!

He's watched one too many reruns of The Sullivans and is having having problems distinguishing 2006 reality from 1940s fiction.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:34 am
Just Joined

daniel1 has a brilliant futuredaniel1 has a brilliant futuredaniel1 has a brilliant futuredaniel1 has a brilliant futuredaniel1 has a brilliant futuredaniel1 has a brilliant futuredaniel1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Most Aussies that live in Oz are boors and are anything but "comfortable with themselves". No, they have a massive chip on their sunburnt shoulders. They
That's a terrible thing to say and incorrect. You are displaying the boorish behaviour I'm talking about. All very un-English and un-Australian.

A different form of class system - but class nonetheless - is alive and well in Oz. The gap between rich and poor in Oz is rapidly approaching that of the UK. That's the Oz egalitarian myth for you.
During my time in London, I like many others (Irish, Scots, Yanks, Liverpudians etc.) have had to concern ourselves with trivial little things like one's accent to get ahead in the workplace and to be accepted socially. If only one's university counted! (because I can hold my own on that count). But no - it's the old boys clubs forged in public schools that *really* count.

Sure, old boys clubs also exist in Aus, but not to the same extent.
I'm a second generation Australian-Italian. I've found Australia to be incredibly fair in terms of receiving a top-notch education and having access to professional employment. My cousins in Italy have not had the same chances.

Of course, the aborigines are off the scale and are still treated like 4th class citizens.
That's a bit rich coming from a country with a history of imperialism, colonisation and slave trade.

As for control over your destiny, you're kidding yourself. Oz has far more concentrated wealth and media ownership than UK.
Pfff....When I talk about control of your destiny, I simply mean having paid out one's morgage and maybe having a few investments. In this way, one is not at the beckon call of their boss. One can terminate their work whenever it does not suit.

Its about freedom, a concept much better understood in Aus than anywhere in Europe.

D1.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:39 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

I am closing this thread as it is no longer on-topic.