Rights at Work

Old Nov 8th 2005, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Chappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to allChappers is a name known to all
Default Rights at Work

Stumbled over this. Makes interesting reading:

http://www.rightsatwork.com.au/thefacts/
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice
Default Re: Rights at Work

Originally Posted by Chappers
Stumbled over this. Makes interesting reading:

http://www.rightsatwork.com.au/thefacts/
Hi

Just had a quick look. It has some interesting information but just be aware it is clearly from a very anti government / pro union standpoint. There is nothing wrong with this point of view, however it is important to know from where the bias is coming.

Regards
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NIGENABBY
Hi

Just had a quick look. It has some interesting information but just be aware it is clearly from a very anti government / pro union standpoint. There is nothing wrong with this point of view, however it is important to know from where the bias is coming.

Regards

Its actually quite a bit bigger than that unfortunately, major concern for just about anybody working in australia, its been bumped off the front page by a well timed government terror alert, but most workers will be worse off.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:00 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Rights at Work

That site has an awful lot of "the government wants to...", but nothing to prove its claims.

Where's the evidence? Where's the proof? Where's the documentation to substantiate any of this? Nowhere that I can see.

And hey, I can do that too: "The unions want to prohibit employers from taking on non-union workers. With the help of national lobby groups and sympathetic Liberal MPs, they aim to have this pushed through the Senate by the end of 2006."

I don't doubt that the Howard government is keen to keep the minimum wage low; I'd just prefer to see a more credible discussion of the issue from a reliable source, that's all.

As an aside, I've never belonged to a union and never seen any need to join.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Nov 8th 2005 at 9:10 am.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:08 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Rights at Work

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Its actually quite a bit bigger than that unfortunately, major concern for just about anybody working in australia, its been bumped off the front page by a well timed government terror alert, but most workers will be worse off.
I don't know of any "well timed government terror alert" (certainly haven't seen one lately), but I do know of a perfectly legitimate story about police raids and arrests of terror suspects in Victoria and NSW.

The press received a tip-off from the police, and it's now all over the news.

Where is this "terror alert" of which you speak?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I don't know of any "well timed government terror alert" (certainly haven't seen one lately), but I do know of a perfectly legitimate story about police raids and arrests of terror suspects in Victoria and NSW.

The press received a tip-off from the police, and it's now all over the news.

Where is this "terror alert" of which you speak?

Vash youve been away too long if you dont know about workplace reform and Howard crying wolf, check out the newspapers daily so you dont get too out of date with whats going on here these days .

Edit just seen you think australia still has bonfire nights mate you have been away one very long time

Last edited by jad n rich; Nov 8th 2005 at 9:27 am.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:27 am
Fighting my corner

Lightbulb Re: Rights at Work

Vash youve been away too long if you dont know about workplace reform and Howard crying wolf, check out the newspapers daily so you dont get too out of date with whats going on here these days.
I check the ABC and News.com.au at least once every week, as proved by the fact that I knew about the latest raids in NSW and VIC. However, I see no "terror alert" - and if there had been one, these latest raids have just vindicated it. (Hardly a case of "crying wolf" when suspects are shooting at police, is it?)

If you could post a link to that "terror alert", I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

I am aware that workplace reform is on the cards, and with a Liberal government in power we can expect it to favour employers over employees. However, when a union body makes specific claims about the government's proposals, it should be able to back those claims up with hard evidence. Misinformation only leads to scaremongering - and the unions are very good at it.

BTW, in case you're wondering - no, I did not vote Liberal in the last election. In fact, I don't vote at all.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I check the ABC and News.com.au at least once every week, as proved by the fact that I knew about the latest raids in NSW and VIC. However, I see no "terror alert" - and if there had been one, these latest raids have just vindicated it. (Hardly a case of "crying wolf" when suspects are shooting at police, is it?)

If you could post a link to that "terror alert", I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Vash, the terror warning was 2/3 days ago, howard got called wolf because it coincided with him pushing through workplace reform that hundreds of thousands of workers have been protesting against, long saga but search back on any of the papers or read the other thread on here about the terror arrests, some interesting points of view from people who live here. Oh yeah and OZ banned fireworks years ago apparently and fires you need a permit and then only to back burn. Local school could not even get a permit or insurance for the school fete
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:53 pm
Fighting my corner

Edit just seen you think australia still has bonfire nights mate you have been away one very long time
So tell me what I was celebrating in Tasmania every year.

And for the record, I have been away for less than two years.

Good grief.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:04 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Rights at Work

Vash, the terror warning was 2/3 days ago, howard got called wolf because it coincided with him pushing through workplace reform that hundreds of thousands of workers have been protesting against, long saga but search back on any of the papers or read the other thread on here about the terror arrests, some interesting points of view from people who live here.
And what was this terror warning, exactly? Could I have a link to a news story, please?

I have read about the terror arrests at news.com.au and the ABC online. I know for a fact that one of the suspects shot at police.

I'd call that legitimate grounds for arrest, wouldn't you?

Oh yeah and OZ banned fireworks years ago apparently
I know. But it was not a nationwide prohibition; each state introduced its own ban, in its own time. For example, Western Australian banned everything (except sparklers) in 1967, while fireworks were still legal in Tasmania when I was a teenager. They are, in fact, still legal in the ACT.

and fires you need a permit and then only to back burn. Local school could not even get a permit or insurance for the school fete
(1) You've always needed a permit for fires under certain conditions. (2) They are not only issued for backburning.

I lived in the suburbs (Midvale, WA) and as recently as three years ago I burned off a huge pile of prunings from trees I'd cut back in my yard. In fact, I did this twice.

On both occasions the resulting bonfire was at least six feet tall and ten feet wide. (Plenty of room for it on my block, as I had a quarter-acre to play with.) On both occasions I called the local ranger's office to ask if it was OK. On both occasions I was given the all clear, with no documentation required.

The trick is to burn off at the right time of year (autumn or winter) and on the right sort of day (preferably damp or cloudy, with a good chance of rain.) This ensures a low fire danger, and therefore a greater chance of the thumbs up from your local authorities.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:11 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

A few days ago John Howard said they had reliable information of an imminent terrorist attack within Australia.
Many cynics said this was to Howard calling wolf to hide the fact of the workplace reforms going through.

After yesterdays arrests, as the TV reporter on Channel 10 said last night, many people have been left with egg on their face.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Rights at Work

Originally Posted by Bordy
A few days ago John Howard said they had reliable information of an imminent terrorist attack within Australia.

Many cynics said this was to Howard calling wolf to hide the fact of the workplace reforms going through.

After yesterdays arrests, as the TV reporter on Channel 10 said last night, many people have been left with egg on their face.
Amen to that.

The Police Commissioner for NSW certainly seems to believe that something significant has occurred:

Earlier today New South Wales Police Commissioner Ken Moroney said the arrests of up to 15 people during raids by state and federal officers in NSW and Victoria had foiled a large scale terrorist attack in Australia.

"I'm satisfied that we have disrupted what I would regard as the final stages of a large scale terrorist attack ... here in Australia," he told ABC radio.
Source.

Any residual doubters are cordially invited to click here.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

has the work force reform come into force yet if so when, if not when is it due to come in
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Originally Posted by jonjon
has the work force reform come into force yet if so when, if not when is it due to come in
No, not yet - and I'm not sure when it's due to come in.

I suggest you have a hunt around on the Net and see what you can find. Best place to start would be here.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

you need a permit :
Wrong. You don't need a permit at certain times in at least one state. The only total ban is funnily enough, on Total Ban days. At least check with the local brigade. They'll give you the clear and tell you the parameters within which you can work. It's also a courtesy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.