Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it the right time??

Is it the right time??

Old Nov 5th 2009, 8:35 pm
The Stars are Underground

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all
Default Is it the right time??

Everyone knows that I am going to Oz, they expected me to be gone months ago. With organizing, exchange rate etc, also changing my mind what part of Oz to go to, I haven't left yet.
So today I joked to them, that I was leaving for Oz this coming Sunday, which is after my Dads birthday, my sister who had just come in from work, immediatley shed a tear and my Dad looked shocked, my Mam was fine, as she was in on the joke, if she wasn't in on the joke, she would have probably acted like my Dad.

So is it the right time of year to go now? xmas coming up, finding accomadation in Melbs etc?
Or do I wait till January..a new year, everyone will be in better spirits for me leaving, and would it be easier to set myself up in Melb then, a place to live etc?

Any thoughts very welcome?
Old Nov 5th 2009, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice
Default Re: Is it the right time??

Hi Beachband
I don't have experience of Australia, but am from South Africa which has the same long summer vacation as well as Christmas/New Years over the next few months. If Oz is anything like SA I would say definitely postpone your move until late Jan. Everyone is so focused on the upcoming holidays and festivities that it is difficult to get anything done. Also the rental market may be very quiet. As a previous landlord I made sure that my property was never available in December as so few people want to move in December as they are either flat out in preparation for Christmas or away on holiday. The job market is also very quiet for the same reason.
Ozzies please chime in if I have got this wrong.
Cheers
Lynette
Old Nov 5th 2009, 10:39 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachband
Everyone knows that I am going to Oz, they expected me to be gone months ago. With organizing, exchange rate etc, also changing my mind what part of Oz to go to, I haven't left yet.
So today I joked to them, that I was leaving for Oz this coming Sunday, which is after my Dads birthday, my sister who had just come in from work, immediatley shed a tear and my Dad looked shocked, my Mam was fine, as she was in on the joke, if she wasn't in on the joke, she would have probably acted like my Dad.

So is it the right time of year to go now? xmas coming up, finding accomadation in Melbs etc?
Or do I wait till January..a new year, everyone will be in better spirits for me leaving, and would it be easier to set myself up in Melb then, a place to live etc?

Any thoughts very welcome?
Have one more xmas and come over in the new year

Dec/Jan things go quiet so you wont really achieve much coming any earlier
Old Nov 6th 2009, 11:06 pm

Beachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to allBeachband is a name known to all

Cheers guys, anyone else have any thoughts?
So it seems like I would achieve a bit more a little easier if I come out in Janury as opposed to before xmas?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am not in Australia yet but I imagine most places go quiet in terms of recruitment in the Christmas run up. Also I expect your family would like to have a really special Christmas before you make the move.

So January I say.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

Bootch is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd leave it till the start of February if I was you. Main 6 weeks holiday don't finish until the end of January out here so things will be quiet on the job front until then
Old Nov 7th 2009, 3:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Completely agree with those who say to wait until Jan/Feb.
Old Nov 7th 2009, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
Completely agree with those who say to wait until Jan/Feb.

Me too!
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Leedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the roughLeedelta is a jewel in the rough

I decided to leave in late Jan after talking to travel agents who told me flights would be cheaper after mid Jan
Old Nov 7th 2009, 11:54 pm

It makes sense to wait on till mid January then, nice one, looking forward to the sunshine, its pretty cold here in the Irish Isle!!
Old Nov 8th 2009, 4:09 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachband
Cheers guys, anyone else have any thoughts?
So it seems like I would achieve a bit more a little easier if I come out in Janury as opposed to before xmas?
Absolutely. GG is dead on here with what he said. Certainly when it comes to the job market, Oz shuts down in Dec/Jan. Its the Summer holidays and things slow down a lot as a result. Maybe the heat has something to do with it too ;-)

Good luck with your move.
Old Nov 8th 2009, 7:28 pm

Cheers, it is more about finding an apartment.
So will it be easier to find an apartment if I come out mid January as opposed to November?
Old Nov 8th 2009, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

face it - you are never going
Old Nov 8th 2009, 9:28 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

So are you going to Melbourne now Beachband
Old Nov 8th 2009, 10:11 pm

After much thought I decided on Melbourne a couple of months ago, therfore I had to do a bit of research again, previously it was WA where I was going to, but having been there a couple of times on holiday I reckon I should try Melbourne now as I have never been over that way before.
I kind of left it a bit late changing my mind on which part of Oz to go to, and before I knew it...it's getting close to xmas! And I think it would maybe be better now to spend xmas with family and go in January.
Also the flights would be cheaper in Jan, and was wondering is that a better time to find an apartment etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.