Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Was it the right move for you?

Was it the right move for you?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:41 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was it the right move for you?

Originally Posted by annn
Annn, did you come to retire here? What is it that's lacking in your opinion?

No I didn't come to retire, if I had I'd have died of boredom.

The thing for me is what you haven't had you never miss. I have had and I am suffering the withdrawal from life and buzz. Like I said I don't hate it here and there are many amazing sights I have yet to see. However much as I love walking and sightseeing, I want more and i'm pretty sure my kids will too when they're older.
I will be shot down no doubt with my boredom statement, but we're all different and what flicks my switch may not flick somebody elses.
I want an adrenalin rush that doesn't involve a huntsman or a snake and I want to stay up after 10pm

Maybe it's a midlife crisis [/QUOTE]

no midlife crisis. you just know what you want and where you live doesn't have it. it might have that special something for someone else, different strokes for different folks as they say.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Whereabouts are you Annn???
Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:54 am
Forum Regular

annn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura aboutannn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hoots nan

Adelaide
Old Nov 15th 2006, 4:54 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like myself too Ann.

Am I to young to be having a midlife crisis at 32??? :scared:

Originally Posted by northernbird
No I didn't come to retire, if I had I'd have died of boredom.

The thing for me is what you haven't had you never miss. I have had and I am suffering the withdrawal from life and buzz. Like I said I don't hate it here and there are many amazing sights I have yet to see. However much as I love walking and sightseeing, I want more and i'm pretty sure my kids will too when they're older.
I will be shot down no doubt with my boredom statement, but we're all different and what flicks my switch may not flick somebody elses.
I want an adrenalin rush that doesn't involve a huntsman or a snake and I want to stay up after 10pm

Maybe it's a midlife crisis
no midlife crisis. you just know what you want and where you live doesn't have it. it might have that special something for someone else, different strokes for different folks as they say.[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:01 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Think I sit somewhere in the middle not totally happy but not unhappy. I still struggle to fill the weekends and dont really have anyone who I would class as good friends but I keep on plodding on trying to fill the time.
I was hoping that there was some substance to the 'BExpats are all happy in QLD' theory till I got to your post! I'll cancel my flight...

It wasn't the right move for me, but it has been the right move for my OH. My quality of life is probably less than it was at home, his is higher. He's happier, he likes the outdoors and less frenetic pace of life. And isn't fussed about the quality of the media, culture and shops. He likes history and old buildings, but doesn't feel the same connection to them that I do - but he grew up in a new town in the home counties.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Hope you dont mind me snooping, we are not in Australia yet so was interested to see all your opinons. We arrive hopefully the beginning of Feb to give it a go for a couple for years. Who knows, it took me a while to settle in Spain so I am prepared a little, although its a lot further than Spain!!! We are planning on the Brisbane area, anyone live there who can recommend family districts or schools?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:05 am
BE Enthusiast

LIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond reputeLIBBY has a reputation beyond repute

Adelaide
When we were in Adelaide we felt the same way.....now we are on the Gold Coast things are 100% better....try somewhere else if possible.

LibbyX
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:07 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

It seems the ones in Adelaide and Perth and the most unhappy while those in Queensland are the happiest, also have'nt heard many compalints from those in Victoria.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:08 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Adelaide
Most Aussies consdier Adelaide to be a boring place also, why don't you move to Another part of OZ, regarding snakes and huntsman spiders l lived in aDELAIDE fro 5 years never saw either of one.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:15 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Hope you dont mind me snooping, we are not in Australia yet so was interested to see all your opinons. We arrive hopefully the beginning of Feb to give it a go for a couple for years. Who knows, it took me a while to settle in Spain so I am prepared a little, although its a lot further than Spain!!! We are planning on the Brisbane area, anyone live there who can recommend family districts or schools?
Hello

We have been in Brisbane for just over a year. To stay relevant to the thread, we (me, my Mrs and 3 kids 3,8,10) have been through an absolute roller coaster of highs and lows. My OH is keen to go back but I'm 'fairly' happy but think there is something missing, we have no close friends which I think is a big deal as we had a good network of friends in the UK. Sure, it takes time to meet people of similar mind, likes, values, humour etc....and with similar aged kids I suppose.

In answer to your Brissy questions, we really liked Carindale, we rented there for 6 months and the kids are in Belmont State School which has a good rep and we have no complaints (except the youngest who cannot start school for another year!!). There are other nice suburbs a bit further out towards the bay like Wellington Point which is very nice. No Idea about the North side but it depends if you intend to commute to the city as to where you go.

Good luck.....
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

paulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nicepaulainspain is just really nice

Originally Posted by Plug
Hello

We have been in Brisbane for just over a year. To stay relevant to the thread, we (me, my Mrs and 3 kids 3,8,10) have been through an absolute roller coaster of highs and lows. My OH is keen to go back but I'm 'fairly' happy but think there is something missing, we have no close friends which I think is a big deal as we had a good network of friends in the UK. Sure, it takes time to meet people of similar mind, likes, values, humour etc....and with similar aged kids I suppose.

In answer to your Brissy questions, we really liked Carindale, we rented there for 6 months and the kids are in Belmont State School which has a good rep and we have no complaints (except the youngest who cannot start school for another year!!). There are other nice suburbs a bit further out towards the bay like Wellington Point which is very nice. No Idea about the North side but it depends if you intend to commute to the city as to where you go.

Good luck.....
Many thanks, we found it difficult to settle in Spain to begin with, normal scenario, trying to make friends with likt minded people and missing the ones we had left behind, I know we will have to give it time again and hopefully we are more prepared, we visited Perth earlier in the year and thought it was too quiet that's why we decided Brisbane, bit more to do... Fingers crossed
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Originally Posted by paulainspain
Many thanks, we found it difficult to settle in Spain to begin with, normal scenario, trying to make friends with likt minded people and missing the ones we had left behind, I know we will have to give it time again and hopefully we are more prepared, we visited Perth earlier in the year and thought it was too quiet that's why we decided Brisbane, bit more to do... Fingers crossed
i''ve sent you a pm
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Was it the right move for you?

i''ve sent you a pm
Thanks, I've just read it. Will be in touch
Old Nov 15th 2006, 5:50 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
It seems the ones in Adelaide and Perth and the most unhappy while those in Queensland are the happiest, also have'nt heard many compalints from those in Victoria.
Think you'll find there are a few of us not happy in Vic.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Think you'll find there are a few of us not happy in Vic.
I'm interested to know what you are not happy with!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.