Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Right hook turns and other gotchas - driving in Oz

Right hook turns and other gotchas - driving in Oz

Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:52 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Right hook turns and other gotchas - driving in Oz

Hello

Well having read Geordie mandy's post about right hook turns, I got thinking about my own trip in a couple of weeks time, and realised that although I have been to Oz twice before and driven around QLD and NSW I have no idea what a right hook turn is and how I should execute one, or what I should do if some other nutter is in the process of executing one.

So can someone tell me in simple terms that a Buzzy can understand how I perform this manoeuveur?

Are there any other different driving rules I should be aware of?

Thanks

Buzzy
Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:56 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Right hook turns and other gotchas - driving in Oz

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hello

Well having read Geordie mandy's post about right hook turns, I got thinking about my own trip in a couple of weeks time, and realised that although I have been to Oz twice before and driven around QLD and NSW I have no idea what a right hook turn is and how I should execute one, or what I should do if some other nutter is in the process of executing one.

So can someone tell me in simple terms that a Buzzy can understand how I perform this manoeuveur?

Thanks

Buzzy
They are EASY!! When you drive in the City(which is the only place you can do the hook turn anyway) with all the trams, they make alot of sense.

If you are wanting to turn right at an intersection where the tram goes straight ahead, you pull into the left lane with your right indicator on. You sit in front of the traffic that are on your left, heading in the direction you want to turn until their lights change and then you take off in front of them....

Clear as mud???
Old Oct 29th 2006, 4:58 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Thanks

Buzzy
You get in left hand lane to turn right....
You get in front of the line of traffic that is stationary, and pointing in the direction you want to go ...then when the lights change....you go....smartish
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:00 am

Hels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond reputeHels Bells has a reputation beyond repute

this might make it easier to understand
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Are they just a Victorian thing? I know we don't have them in Qld
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hels Bells
this might make it easier to understand
Where is the arsehole tailgating the green car?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CasG
Where is the arsehole tailgating the green car?

Or the tithead in an old Falcon/Commodore trying to undertake you before you get a chance to do any kind of manoeuvre :scared:
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Are they just a Victorian thing? I know we don't have them in Qld

Yeah, just Victorian as they are designed to allow the traffic to flow around the trams....
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jond
Or the tithead in an old Falcon/Commodore trying to undertake you before you get a chance to do any kind of manoeuvre :scared:
oh yes !!!

Why is they always have those!!

Do you have one...! ?? !

You have the arsehole tailgating you as you ram into the tithead.......and then the lights change!!!
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:18 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hello

Thanks

Buzzy
When you arrive we will do one - not worth loosing sleep over - designed to avoid tram versus car collisions. Now they just need to work on Truck to big for bridge

Last edited by thebears; Oct 29th 2006 at 5:24 am.
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:18 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Right hook turns and other gotchas - driving in Oz

Right, thanks Hels for the vid of how everything should work in an ideal world.

Thanks everyone else for removing the confidence I was just gaining!!! :scared:

Buzzy
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:19 am
Account Closed

Right, thanks Hels for the vid of how everything should work in an ideal world.

Thanks everyone else for removing the confidence I was just gaining!!! :scared:

Buzzy
You're welcome
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=CasG]oh yes !!!

Do you have one...! ?? !

Nah I am the hoon in the Impreza (or so the OH reckons)

I think since I got that car my driving habits have gone backwards 20 years, I feel like I did when I used to have my 3.0ltr Capri, but what do you expect I am an Essex boy
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:28 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jond]
oh yes !!!

Do you have one...! ?? !

I think since I got that car my driving habits have gone backwards 20 years, I feel like I did when I used to have my 3.0ltr Capri, but what do you expect I am an Essex boy
Snap I had a 2.8i sport - why did work keep calling me Body?
Old Oct 29th 2006, 5:30 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=jond]
oh yes !!!

Do you have one...! ?? !

....expect nothing less

I have a big Ford job....but really miss my Celica Sports....just not the same ....but then again...you can't do 120 mph down the roads here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.