Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is this right decision???

Is this right decision???

Old Jun 23rd 2004, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Allison & delboy
It's only natural to have cold feet at what seems the point of no return....but nothing has to be forever - you could give Australia a go, (your lives will be richer for it even if your purse isn't!!) and review in say, 2 years. This might take the pressure off, and put the shine back into emigrating.

FWIW, we came back to UK to have our first baby - we decided that we wanted our baby to know its grandparents while it could (and vice versa). We also didn't personally believe that Australia offered our children a better lifestyle. Here in the UK we have a fabulous outdoor life and very healthy lifestyle - we don't need to be in Australia to achieve either of these. (There were lots of other reasons that stacked up in favour of the UK too.) But everyone wants different things out of life and people's priorities are personal and individual. No doubt, Oz is a great country (I just dont want to live there forever!)

Good luck with what you decide. And if you get to Oz, I'm sure you'll have a ball....even if it's for 6 months, 6 years, or eternity...!
Old Jun 23rd 2004, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future
Default Re: Is this right decision???

Here here Janeyray, totally agree with you. I also didn't realise how much my family meant to me until I was in Oz and we are not a family who get together a lot. We used to speak a lot on the phone etc so thought going to Oz and speaking on the phone wouldn't be any different, sorry but there was no comparison because before if I wanted to go to see them I could jump in the car and within half an hour I was there couldn't do this in Oz and it was an awful feeling.

My mum is planning to come over twice a year for probably 2 weeks (whilst she is still working) up to 3 months (when she has retired in 3 years) and my girlfriend's mum (and grandmother to my girlfriends son) is planning on coming out for 8 weeks each year.

We will see our family more than we do now. My mum has visited me twice in 6 years from Birmingham to Essex and my gf's mum only visits once a year. Yes we do visit them more often, but we will actually see our parent for more time when in OZ than we do now - how bizarre is that!!
Old Jun 24th 2004, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi Allison,

the best thing about posting a question like this is that you realise you're not alone. The worst thing is that no-one can make your mind up for you!

Before I came to Oz I felt exactly the same in terms of nerves & uncertainties altho I don't have kids. My parents were devastated
& even tho my mum drives me mad we are a close family & saying goodbye was completely heartbreaking.

I miss my folks & my 5 year old nephew, brother & sister-in-law loads & nothing could have prepared me for what it felt like.

On the other hand I have had the most incredible adventures & experiences since arriving here - far too many to mention (& I don't want to bore you)! I have also learnt a great deal about myself.

But it has been a real upheaval, I spent a few months pretty depressed because I felt so displaced & I have to say I don't know if it was the right decision to come here. On the other hand, Mr Bella has found it a truly liberating experience.

I will be returning to the UK & hope, once settled, I will look back with my positive hat on.

I agree with Dotty in terms of thinking through all the options & perhaps consider you will be on a long holiday.

I really hope it all works out for you & that you're happy whatever you choose

Bella