Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it right to ask if I have children at a job interview?

Is it right to ask if I have children at a job interview?

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by keyurlavingia
I would say that the employer is just taking another business risk in not asking that question. I can understand their concerns regarding the time and money they have to invest in hiring people, but he/she has to decide on hiring the employee based on skills and not based on discriminatory questions like this. They should hire the person and then if need be fire that person if they start taking their job lightly. Other than that, its purely discriminatory.

Thats just my opinion though.

Keyur
Keyur.
One problem is that firing a person is never that easy. Even when you are allowed to.
I've never liked doing it, even when it had to be done.

I'd much rather find a way to get the RIGHT person first, and that means getting as much info as possible. But with the rights of an employer being eroded it gets harder and harder.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:07 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by owieb
You may not be interested, but I've had interviews where I've been chatting to people in a relaxed manner and making conversation. It's quite feasible that someone would say that they are doing something with their children at the weekend etc.
From the way your original question was phrased, my assumption was that it wasn't 'in normal, relaxed conversation', such as 'we have a family do this weekend, as my kids want to...' but was made as a statement, instead. i.e. 'I have kids. Four of 'em. Wanna make something of it?!'

My mistake.

In the 'normal, relaxed conversation' way of bringing kids into the conversation I wouldn't have a problem with that. I'm not really interested in people's kids, except in the way they affect the employee's working habits. That may sound harsh, but it's not meant to be. People's kids are very important to THEM. that's fine. Just don't expect me to be interested in hearing you gush about how Junior managed to smear his crap all over the wall and you're sure he's going to be an important artist one day!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:09 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by downunderpom
I'm not really interested in people's kids, except in the way they affect the employee's working habits.
Bingo, we have a winner!!!!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:10 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
That's me!

I think my views on kids have caused some chuckles.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:11 pm
ABCDiamond

You type faster than me

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:12 pm
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
You type faster than me
LOL, actually doubt it
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:15 pm
ABCDiamond

LOL, actually doubt it
It may be that I always do a preview, to check my spelling mistakes, and see what it looks like and then see who else has posted something.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 3:46 pm
owieb

Originally posted by Ceri
The point is you can not ask the question.. by law
Do you ask what a persons religion is? and yes it's relevant.

you may think some people may not turn up for work on Friday, and women all rush off because they are a woman.

There are laws in place to protect people with children, men and women , religion, etc etc.

I've just given you the law in my above post
Is there some big list of questions that can't be asked then? (Not trying to be argumentative, I just can't believe it is written down that you can't ask someone if they have children)

You could realistically say that any question could be discriminating if someone takes offence to it.

For example, when I joined the fire service I had to go through an extensive interview, character check and medical to make sure that I was suitable for the job. They asked very personal questions about my relationship with my girlfriend to ensure that I understood the risk/danger element of the job.

They also asked questions about my attitude towards woman on the force as this had become a big issue and woman were complaining that they were being discriminated against joining. The problem that the fire service was having is that male fighters weren't happy to work with female fire fighters unless they were capable of doing the exact same role as their male colleagues. This came about because of an incident where a male firefighter became trapped in a burning building. He was with a female firefighter at the time and she was unable to carry him out because she didn't have the strength. So the male firefighters weren't happy about having their lives put at risk because someone wasn't suitable for the job. The female firefighters argument was that even though they may not be as strong (as some) male firefighters it shouldn't stop them doing the job as there are bound to be instances when another male firefighter would not be strong enough.

As you can imagine, the fire service being such a high profile employer; didn't have a clue what to do and neither did anyone else! There were a few test cases brought against them, but I'm not sure what the outcome was.

So I would say that relevant questions will be asked at interviews (whether they are legal or not), and maybe at this particular interview asking about children was relevant?

If there is a law that states "You must not ask someone if they have children" then Janeyray should make an official complaint to the appropriate government department and get them to look into it.

BTW My wife had to do a series of psychometric tests for her current job. Is that being discriminating against "not very intelligent people"?

Last edited by owieb; Feb 2nd 2004 at 3:52 pm.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

It DOES seem to be common practise to ask the question here and when you have never been asked it before, it does come as a bit of a shock, maybe all the new arrivals should rehearse their "Positive" answer to the question.

The big boss at my place said that as I had quite a large network of family here he didn't think that childcare wouldn't be an issue in an emergency so maybe this does show that they view pommes in a different light in this matter. I hadn't really thought about that before.:scared:
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

I am horrified that a potential employer would ask if you had any children. Back in the UK I was involved with a company where when one of the owners asked the woman being interviewed if she was planning to have any children and taking time off for maternity leave !!! The position was for Manager of a childrens day nursery. All 3 people on the interview panel clearly heard his question. The woman immediately sought the advice of a solicitor and the company made an out of court settlement, which I believe was about £1000. Up until the point when the letter came from her solicitor, she was ear marked for the position, once the letter came, the job was offered to the next most appropriate candidate.

No one has dared to ask if I have children !!!
BTW I have 3 darlings and they have never interfered with my work.

Gill
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:04 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by owieb
Is there some big list of questions that can't be asked then? (Not trying to be argumentative, I just can't believe it is written down that you can't ask someone if they have children)

You could realistically say that any question could be discriminating if someone takes offence to it.

For example, when I joined the fire service I had to go through an extensive interview, character check and medical to make sure that I was suitable for the job. They asked very personal questions about my relationship with my girlfriend to ensure that I understood the risk/danger element of the job.

They also asked questions about my attitude towards woman on the force as this had become a big issue and woman were complaining that they were being discriminated against joining. The problem that the fire service was having is that male fighters weren't happy to work with female fire fighters unless they were capable of doing the exact same role as their male colleagues. This came about because of an incident where a male firefighter became trapped in a burning building. He was with a female firefighter at the time and she was unable to carry him out because she didn't have the strength. So the male firefighters weren't happy about having their lives put at risk because someone wasn't suitable for the job. The female firefighters argument was that even though they may not be as strong (as some) male firefighters it shouldn't stop them doing the job as there are bound to be instances when another male firefighter would not be strong enough.

As you can imagine, the fire service being such a high profile employer; didn't have a clue what to do and neither did anyone else! There were a few test cases brought against them, but I'm not sure what the outcome was.

So I would say that relevant questions will be asked at interviews (whether they are legal or not), and maybe at this particular interview asking about children was relevant?

If there is a law that states "You must not ask someone if they have children" then Janeyray should make an official complaint to the appropriate government department and get them to look into it.

BTW My wife had to do a series of psychometric tests for her current job. Is that being discriminating against "not very intelligent people"?

That is why discrimination laws run into industrial laws etc.

About the fire service - that is a different thing all together - if you're not physically fit enough to carry say an 80 kilo bloke - no way should you employ that person/woman , but some woman are capable of doing it , some men can not. That is fitness, nothing to do with sex discrimination.. so happens the likelihood of a woman carrying an 80 kilo bloke is hell of a lot lower than a man who can do it. But if a woman can to do the same job - yes she should be employed with no discrimination

the fact of asking a woman has she children in an official interview.. is discrimination - having children does not lower your capabilities, or nor can you tell if someone who has no children, or children will be a good time keeper -

this falls under the discrimination laws -- you can't just ask that in an official interview

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Feb 2nd 2004 at 4:11 pm.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:34 pm
owieb

Originally posted by Ceri
About the fire service - that is a different thing all together - if your not physically fit enough to carry say an 80 kilo bloke - no way should you employ that person/woman , but some woman are capable of doing it , some men can not. That is fitness, nothing to do with sex discrimination.. so happens the likelihood of a woman carrying an 80 kilo bloke is hell of a lot lower than a man who can do it. But if a woman can to do the same job - yes she be employed with no discrimination
Sorry, the point I was trying to make was they were interested in my attitude towards this situation. The question was not asked to female employees.

I'm not trying to argue, if janeyray shouldn't have been asked that question then she should complain and get an official stance on the matter.

Old Feb 2nd 2004, 4:41 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Half the issue is childcare but there is also the issue of time off to have the child. Employers do not want to have to train and pay extra for temps to cover the position. Without banning the asking of the questions empoyers will discriminate. Even after that they can discriminate during the probationary period.
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:15 pm
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by Gill and Rob
one of the owners asked the woman being interviewed if she was planning to have any children and taking time off for maternity leave !!! The woman immediately sought the advice of a solicitor and the company made an out of court settlement ..... Up until the point when the letter came from her solicitor, she was ear marked for the position, once the letter came, the job was offered to the next most appropriate candidate.
OK, you have got me stumped. The employer asks a question, prospective employee gets on the high horse & threatens to sue them for asking the question even though she was the one that was going to get the job anyway & then the employer changes his mind about employing her. And the problem is...?

I know that if I were the employer that she would have 2 chances of working for me - buckleys & none!
Old Feb 2nd 2004, 5:21 pm
WBB

Default Re: Is it right to ask if I have children at a job interview?

Originally posted by janeyray
I just wondered what your thoughts were to my question?

I went for an interview (3rd one in 11 months) the other day and the first thing I was asked is "do you have any children"?

My mind starting reeling then, should I lie and say no, or should I tell the truth?

I told the truth and he asked me what childcare arrangements I had made regarding to working before or after school hours. I find this quite a discriminating question and feel they shouldn't ask it at all.

I didn't get the job and wondered if it was because I had a child, I'll never know but it's always a thought.
got to agree here, of course they got the right to ask you if you have kids, why would you think otherwise?

if i was interviewing you i would want to know what arrangements had been made for day to day childcare and also for those little emergencies that crop up from time to time.

people with kids can sometimes be more reliable but it can have the reverse effect if the kids become ill or the million and one other things that can happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.