Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is that right, about University entry here?

Is that right, about University entry here?

Old May 10th 2008, 11:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is that right, about University entry here?

Talking to my Aussie neighbour about University the other day, she said your son cant just choose what he wants to study here.
Its up to University on what he gets at the end of the his year 12 result, then the University would send him a letter to say what degree he can go for.
What if he doesn’t like the choices he has been offered, what happens then.
Old May 11th 2008, 12:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is that right, about University entry here?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Talking to my Aussie neighbour about University the other day, she said your son cant just choose what he wants to study here.
Its up to University on what he gets at the end of the his year 12 result, then the University would send him a letter to say what degree he can go for.
Fascinating concept! Very planned economy!!

My daughter is due to choose her uni/course preferences in June.

Just like the UK they set the bar, get the score and you are in.

Where did they get the info from?

Ian
Old May 11th 2008, 1:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Fascinating concept! Very planned economy!!

My daughter is due to choose her uni/course preferences in June.

Just like the UK they set the bar, get the score and you are in.

Where did they get the info from?

Ian
www.mythsaboutaustralia.com ...... same site that tells you its always sunny and everything is cheap
Old May 11th 2008, 1:13 am
Just Joined

sussex2 is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughters did A levels in the UK before applying for uni in Oz, so possibly slightly different.
They worked out from the uni web site how many points the subjects taken in the UK would give them. I guess this equates to the score from Oz year
12. They then looked at the points that had been needed to take their chosen courses the previous year, again on the uni web site. (The uni was not able to give an exact number of points required for each subject in their coming entry year as it depended on the number of applicants for the course. Lots of applicants, the higher the score needed I guess).
They were able to give several preferences of courses on their applications. The uni then, (in Jan I think) did a round of offers and they were advised if they got their 1st, 2nd 3rd choice etc.
Bad memory I'm afraid, but I think that is how it worked.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Your neighbour is talking out of her backside or winding you up.
Old May 11th 2008, 2:43 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

here in queensland it goes by OP score or rank each course will have a OP score cut off point eg dentist will be OP1 whereas another course at a different uni may be a OP 15 so if you have a high score you can pick which course at which uni you want. you apply through QTAC and give 6 preferences no1 the one you want followed by other choices if you dont have all the requirements for the first course you will be offered 2nd choice and so on, most get first choice i only know of one person at my uni who was given 2nd choice but he wanted to be a doctor and took 2nd choice as a science degree then after so many credits will be able to go on as a doctor
hope that helps k
Old May 11th 2008, 3:11 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

Although it might be a good idea, stop the unis pumping out people with worthless media studies and sociology degree (with the option center link form module)

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Old May 11th 2008, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
actually no they're not. your OP score dictates which degree you can go for. for instance if you get an OP8 and you want to study psychology which needs an OP4 to get in, you can't study it (there are other ways of getting in further down the line). there is a minimum OP requirement for every degree, if you don't get the results, you don't get in.
Old May 11th 2008, 4:24 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
actually no they're not. your OP score dictates which degree you can go for. for instance if you get an OP8 and you want to study psychology which needs an OP4 to get in, you can't study it (there are other ways of getting in further down the line). there is a minimum OP requirement for every degree, if you don't get the results, you don't get in.
thats not entirely true you can get in with a lower OP if the course is undersubscribed. the OP or rank is only a guide on the previous year
Old May 11th 2008, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You can certainly fail to qualify for some courses but that is not different from the situation in UK where you had to get certain grades at A level in order to qualify. But it certainly isnt a case of plugging in your year 12 pass grades and see what they offer you - you can make a choice of what to apply for.
Old May 11th 2008, 5:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

That's no different from how it works anywhere generally. She was told the Uni decides what degree the person goes for apparently irrespective of what they want to do - that's wrong.
Old May 11th 2008, 5:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Is that right, about University entry here?

Absolute bollocks.

When you apply to a university, you provide them with three preferences, in order of priority. If the university has room for you, and if your school results are sufficient to meet the requirements of your preferred degree, then you get your #1 choice.

If you don't meet the requirements, you are instead offered a placement for one of your remaining two preferences (again, depending on quota levels and your school results).

At no time does a university tell you what you are going to study and force you to take it; they simply offer one or more of your three preferences.

That is not the same as a university telling you what you are going to study, regardless of your personal preference.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; May 11th 2008 at 5:13 am.
Old May 11th 2008, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

And remember that most degrees can be undertaken part-time.

I know someone who was absolutely gutted to miss out on his first (only?) choice - an accounting degree. He obtained a "trainee accountant" job, which combined part-time study with his job..he started doing bookkeeping etc initially and then worked his way up. After five or six years, he was way ahead of his peers career wise.

(Remember that in Oz, many people go to uni in their home town, so still live at home. Going to uni is less of a "lets move to the other side of the country for a wild time" period in one's life.)
Old May 11th 2008, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
And remember that most degrees can be undertaken part-time.

I know someone who was absolutely gutted to miss out on his first (only?) choice - an accounting degree. He obtained a "trainee accountant" job, which combined part-time study with his job..he started doing bookkeeping etc initially and then worked his way up. After five or six years, he was way ahead of his peers career wise.

(Remember that in Oz, many people go to uni in their home town, so still live at home. Going to uni is less of a "lets move to the other side of the country for a wild time" period in one's life.)
Thanks for all your replies, I'm still confuse, as she said that's what she was told at her daughter's school, she's going to Uni next year.
I'm going to call his school tomorrow to check about what my next door neighbour mentioned.
Let you guys know the answer tomorrow.
Old May 12th 2008, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

So this is what I found out today, which is very useful for the University entry for Qld only, like someone said you get 6 preferences to choose.
Then you send it off to QTAC not the university itself I think she said you, and then your school would send the result of your final exam to them.
So that's how they decided whether you get the first choice for your degree & your Uni, if the student decide that he doesn’t want go to their first choice after all, then it would be offer to someone else who couldn’t get in because they didn’t get the right result & so on.
Each state is slightly different, so I was told if my son wants to go & study in another State he has to do the perfences for that State only.
He cannot put his preferences of different state in his Qld form, I don’t know if you get me.
I know it sounds confusing, but now I got it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.