Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Richard and Judy tonight

Richard and Judy tonight

Old Jan 30th 2008, 5:25 pm
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about
Default Richard and Judy tonight

Tonights Richard and Judy had a segment about emigrating. They had a couple on there moving to Adelaide this June, an agent and the editor of the sun online (Australian). They gave the figure of approximately 700 a week leaving, and it is now at the stage of the 1950's. They showed some film clips from the 50's of British migrants leaving Waterloo.

The couple wanted to start a family and felt that Australia offered a better life for their future children. The sun online editor was working in the UK for better opportunities for himself but intends to go back and bring up a family in Australia.

I came to Australia in 1970, had 4 children and I really think that Australia is a great place to bring up a family.

I am in the UK and have been for a few months and will be going back soon. I still think after being here that Australia is a better place for kids.

What does everyone else think?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

LauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant future
Default Re: Richard and Judy tonight

Originally Posted by bluejohn
Tonights Richard and Judy had a segment about emigrating. They had a couple on there moving to Adelaide this June, an agent and the editor of the sun online (Australian). They gave the figure of approximately 700 a week leaving, and it is now at the stage of the 1950's. They showed some film clips from the 50's of British migrants leaving Waterloo.

The couple wanted to start a family and felt that Australia offered a better life for their future children. The sun online editor was working in the UK for better opportunities for himself but intends to go back and bring up a family in Australia.

I came to Australia in 1970, had 4 children and I really think that Australia is a great place to bring up a family.

I am in the UK and have been for a few months and will be going back soon. I still think after being here that Australia is a better place for kids.

What does everyone else think?
I came out here mainly for the kids and the weather!!!

My eldest is 5 and has been going to the 'little nippers' on a saturday since November and he loves it. As well as going to swimming lessons, tennis, karate. Both my kids have settled down well and love it out here. It is a tad more laid back and I believe moving out here was the best thing for them. Education standards is supposed to be better, but I guess time and my childrens abilities will tell.

As regards to whether it's the right thing to do - there is no right or wrong, just doing what you believe is best at the time.

For those that are not aware of the 'Little Nippers', it is a course at the local life saving club where they teach beach safety, play games in the sand and sea and tire the kids out for an hour.

BTW, my son starts school today (sob). I couldn't be more proud.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:14 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow 700 a week thats a lot of poeple...better get badgering my fella to go or by the time he decides the gate will be shut!!!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

crocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud ofcrocodileseamus has much to be proud of

Hope your son has a great first day. I'm almost 40 and I can still remember mine!!!!!! (it must be the brain training on kids ds)

I'm sure the morning will drag for you, but not for him. Take plenty of photos.

Lynne
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Racht70
Wow 700 a week thats a lot of poeple...better get badgering my fella to go or by the time he decides the gate will be shut!!!
please correct me if im wrong but I watched the Richard and Judy programe and it was 700 A DAY
Old Jan 30th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Hi, Hope your son had a great first day Regarding little Nippers - at what age can they start? I'll be arriving with a 3 and 5 year old and one of the first things we need to sort out is swimming lessons and maybe little Nippers.

Originally Posted by LauraandDes
I came out here mainly for the kids and the weather!!!

My eldest is 5 and has been going to the 'little nippers' on a saturday since November and he loves it. As well as going to swimming lessons, tennis, karate. Both my kids have settled down well and love it out here. It is a tad more laid back and I believe moving out here was the best thing for them. Education standards is supposed to be better, but I guess time and my childrens abilities will tell.

As regards to whether it's the right thing to do - there is no right or wrong, just doing what you believe is best at the time.

For those that are not aware of the 'Little Nippers', it is a course at the local life saving club where they teach beach safety, play games in the sand and sea and tire the kids out for an hour.

BTW, my son starts school today (sob). I couldn't be more proud.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

LauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant futureLauraandDes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Millie11
Hi, Hope your son had a great first day Regarding little Nippers - at what age can they start? I'll be arriving with a 3 and 5 year old and one of the first things we need to sort out is swimming lessons and maybe little Nippers.
Little Nippers is from the age of 5, do a google search on it. They dont enter competitions until (I think) the age of 7, but they do learn and have fun at the beach from 5. The cost is cheap too. It costs $75 for the year for one, or you pay a family membership of $150 for the year. They also have social events too like sausage sizzle, carnivals, etc.

Swimming, they really start to learn at 4 but they have classes for any age now. My daughter is 2 now and wants to go swimming so I will be enrolling her (hopefully) tonight.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:12 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

i watched bits of it too ... thought they were giving the usual 'its just like neighbours' view - BUT! thankfully, they pointed out that the migration process itself is a long, drawnout and stressful process ... they got something right there then!!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:14 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
please correct me if im wrong but I watched the Richard and Judy programe and it was 700 A DAY
Indeed, but only half of them are British Citizens... and don't forget the people coming in to the country, a large number of whom are British Citizens as well... The actual nett emigration of British Citizens is around 126,000 per annum at the moment... Not quite the sinking ship some would have you believe...!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:58 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DrWho
Indeed, but only half of them are British Citizens... and don't forget the people coming in to the country, a large number of whom are British Citizens as well... The actual nett emigration of British Citizens is around 126,000 per annum at the moment... Not quite the sinking ship some would have you believe...!
Quite true.....the tabloid press (particulary Daily Hate Mail & Express) is only to happy to point out the numbers leaving. They generally forget to mention the even larger numbers arriving in the UK. Except when it suits them to have you believe that 99.99% of those people are swan eating, benefit claiming, TB infected, gay Albanians. Sad, really it is.....especially the fact that a large section of the population seems content to swallow it all up.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

How many go back though? Judging by this website, quite a few.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
How many go back though? Judging by this website, quite a few.
I think a very small percentage of those that come to Oz go back to the UK. In the time that we have been in Australia I have not known a single family return to the UK. In terms of this site I think that those who want to go back to the UK are a small number of people who make a large number of posts. If you check out the MBTTUK forum the same user names crop up again and again. I think that the official statistics from the Australian Government also back this up.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

moonstaruk is an unknown quantity at this point

700 a day? are you sure? I'd have thought a week would have prob been right?

if its a day/ then 250,000 people go in a year?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:42 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

That was just Man city fans
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
I think a very small percentage of those that come to Oz go back to the UK. In the time that we have been in Australia I have not known a single family return to the UK. In terms of this site I think that those who want to go back to the UK are a small number of people who make a large number of posts. If you check out the MBTTUK forum the same user names crop up again and again. I think that the official statistics from the Australian Government also back this up.
I reckon it's 20-30% - not just from Australia though. The figure of 700/day was for people leaving the UK and not just coming to Australia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.