Rex The Runt

Old May 30th 2003, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rex The Runt

Do any of you have children over here in Aus state schools? Can I please ask you if your children are subjected to almost daily viewings (at school) of "Rex The Runt"? or is this just my local state school`s idea of an education???

When he first mentioned it, I assumed it was some kind of biology lesson - you know the thing - how babies are born or something... how naive can you get???!!!

Rex is apparently an animated plasticine dog with the I.Q. of a retarded Platypus!!!

Still, I suppose it`s better than Muppet Treasure Island - this week`s "Disney Movie Time" at school for my 8 year old!!!

I`m getting a bit tired of my two coming home saying all they`re doing is watching cartoons - I have enough trouble keeping them away from the TV at home!!!
Old May 30th 2003, 6:25 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about that but my bright five year old (assessed with reading age of 7 in UK) was being given ABC type reading books. When my wife gently complained he was finally given a set of more demanding books. He has now read all of them and now no longer brings any books home to read.

I assumed all this was to do with later starting age for primary but am increasingly worried by other posters with older kids who testify to equally undemanding education in later years. We have always educated at home anyway ina very relaxed way but didn't think we'd have to make up so much for what the school is lacking.
Old May 30th 2003, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rex The Runt

Originally posted by Rosy
Do any of you have children over here in Aus state schools? Can I please ask you if your children are subjected to almost daily viewings (at school) of "Rex The Runt"? or is this just my local state school`s idea of an education???

When he first mentioned it, I assumed it was some kind of biology lesson - you know the thing - how babies are born or something... how naive can you get???!!!

Rex is apparently an animated plasticine dog with the I.Q. of a retarded Platypus!!!

Still, I suppose it`s better than Muppet Treasure Island - this week`s "Disney Movie Time" at school for my 8 year old!!!

I`m getting a bit tired of my two coming home saying all they`re doing is watching cartoons - I have enough trouble keeping them away from the TV at home!!!
You might be interested in my reply on the 'cost of education post'.

We don't have Rex in Perth but when my son (also 8 years old) was in our local state school I thought it was wrong how often they were allowed to watch disney videos and he seemed to have art lessons every day! I think the teachers like an easy life.

We've been in Perth a year and have now opted for private education, it's a very good private school but it's a shock paying such high fees after leaving a 'free' quality English school. State Education has been a big disappointment to us and no amount of research can prepare you for this, it depends on your children and your expectations as a parent. I've met some expats who are happy with the schools. If you have bright children or children that need a push it's a struggle, the state schools allow children to 'coast' along too much.
Old May 30th 2003, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jayr
Don't know about that but my bright five year old (assessed with reading age of 7 in UK) was being given ABC type reading books. When my wife gently complained he was finally given a set of more demanding books. He has now read all of them and now no longer brings any books home to read.

I assumed all this was to do with later starting age for primary but am increasingly worried by other posters with older kids who testify to equally undemanding education in later years. We have always educated at home anyway ina very relaxed way but didn't think we'd have to make up so much for what the school is lacking.
Hi,

If you`re doing some home educating, have you tried www.teachit.co.uk? I reckon it`s an excellent site and, coupled with the other resources I brought out from the UK, may well form the basis of my childrens` home education here for a while if things don`t pick up school-wise. I am sure we will be returning to the UK in the near future, and I would hate them to be so far behind. When we left, both mine were in the top groups in their respective classes at school...
Old May 30th 2003, 6:37 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rosy will take a look. Just remembered that before we left the UK my 5 year old was doing artwork based on Aboriginal art and the works of Gaugin (no, really) and this in a fairly economically deprived state primary. Yesterday he brought home a paper aeroplane.
Old May 30th 2003, 8:38 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by jayr
Thanks Rosy will take a look. Just remembered that before we left the UK my 5 year old was doing artwork based on Aboriginal art and the works of Gaugin (no, really) and this in a fairly economically deprived state primary. Yesterday he brought home a paper aeroplane.
Nothing wrong with learning the basics of aviation engineering - will get you further in life than studying the history of a dead painter (unless you intend on getting a job at Sotheby's).
Old May 30th 2003, 8:44 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Is a paper plane not art? I say it is more artistic than some lazy tarts unmade bed with her knickers and condoms lying about on it.
Old May 30th 2003, 8:57 am
Free at last!

Houdini is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by paulf
Is a paper plane not art? I say it is more artistic than some lazy tarts unmade bed with her knickers and condoms lying about on it.
Mind you, Picasso would be proud of her teeth.