Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Reverse Lame Duck Situation

Reverse Lame Duck Situation

Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:30 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of
Default Reverse Lame Duck Situation

I have got my 175 visa, and now I am in this reverse lame duck situation. I know I will leave my current job and/or country in 1-year time, and in all likelihood never come back. It becomes hard to concentrate on task at hand. It becomes hard to have empathy for my colleagues and countrymen alike. Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice on how I should cope with this?

Old Dec 6th 2011, 7:58 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reverse Lame Duck Situation

Originally Posted by Paul2O
I have got my 175 visa, and now I am in this reverse lame duck situation. I know I will leave my current job and/or country in 1-year time, and in all likelihood never come back. It becomes hard to concentrate on task at hand. It becomes hard to have empathy for my colleagues and countrymen alike. Has anyone been in this situation? Any advice on how I should cope with this?

tempting as it is don't burn any bridges, you just never know - besides you need references too mate. It's allnormal and part of the journey.

Good luck mate
Old Dec 6th 2011, 2:50 pm
Emeritus Senior Minister

Paul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud ofPaul2O has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
tempting as it is don't burn any bridges, you just never know - besides you need references too mate. It's allnormal and part of the journey.

Good luck mate
So, I guess it is normal. It feels like the time between accepting job offer from new company and handing in the resignation letter to current company.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

mike_leaving_the_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

same boat here, as soon as the Visa is in I am out of here - I have quit in my head and keeping it all a secret is murder!!

To combat it I have applied for a promotion and making lots of positive noises at work - might as well make it bearable for the rest of them!!

Not much help but your not the only one
Old Dec 6th 2011, 5:56 pm

newjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond reputenewjersey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike_leaving_the_uk
same boat here, as soon as the Visa is in I am out of here - I have quit in my head and keeping it all a secret is murder!!

To combat it I have applied for a promotion and making lots of positive noises at work - might as well make it bearable for the rest of them!!

Not much help but your not the only one
So what happens if they offer you a promotion and a raise?
Old Dec 6th 2011, 6:47 pm
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

The Aussies go mad for endless references from former employers so be careful not to alienate anyone.
Old Dec 6th 2011, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

I've been in this exact situation for the last year, and have just formally resigned, and it is certainly a relief!

It is inevitable that you will become "semi-detached" but I assume you didn't get to where you are now without being professional and committed to your job. Hold onto that, set yourself some goals that are more short-term, and work your way through them.

There will be times when you have to be "economical with the truth" but do not lie. Being "diplomatic" in this way can become quite wearing, but it is all for the ultimate goal. Leaving in the right way is as important as arriving.

One of the things I did was to break the time up into smaller chunks and then recognise the passing of a particular chunk with a dinner out or even just a note-to-self.

And if you like planning, as I do, start planning like hell! Good Luck!
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:40 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Originally Posted by mike_leaving_the_uk;
Spot-on Mike. I have already quit the job and the country in my head. So, it is very difficult to stay motivated.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

As has been said don't burn too many bridges as a good proportion of migrants return home. Just be careful what you say and do.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:50 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Originally Posted by killerhales
One of the things I did was to break the time up into smaller chunks and then recognise the passing of a particular chunk with a dinner out or even just a note-to-self.
This is an excellent idea. I'll try to break up into 5 3-month chunks or something. Thanks.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 12:56 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Originally Posted by chris955
As has been said don't burn too many bridges as a good proportion of migrants return home. Just be careful what you say and do.
I'll trust the voice of reason.

Actually, an acquaintance from wife's side is quitting Sydney and returning to Singapore next year.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 1:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

The Mayan Calendar predicts the end of the world on 12-21-2012, so if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 2:40 am
Emeritus Senior Minister

Originally Posted by spartacus
The Mayan Calendar predicts the end of the world on 12-21-2012, so if I were you, I wouldn't worry about it.

Human race is a stubborn one. There may be end of the world, but it is only end of the world "as we know it". There will always be some pockets of humans surviving somewhere. Since I'll be in Australia, it will be something like Mad Max.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Human race is a stubborn one. There may be end of the world, but it is only end of the world "as we know it". There will always be some pockets of humans surviving somewhere. Since I'll be in Australia, it will be something like Mad Max.
More like 'Home & Away'.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 4:39 am
BE Enthusiast

In Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond reputeIn Exile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
More like 'Home & Away'.
more like The Castle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.