Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Returning Australian Expats - Advice on Utilities

Returning Australian Expats - Advice on Utilities

Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:27 pm

merlotsmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Returning Australian Expats - Advice on Utilities

Lived in Oz up to a few years ago, planned return in next 18 months, has anyone has any difficulties in getting utility accounts (elec) and phone's back on?

We were the perfect customers over in Oz, paid on time and have old bills to back up.

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:34 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning Australian Expats - Advice on Utilities

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
Lived in Oz up to a few years ago, planned return in next 18 months, has anyone has any difficulties in getting utility accounts (elec) and phone's back on?

We were the perfect customers over in Oz, paid on time and have old bills to back up.

Thanks in advance
As a new customer, I had no probs with phone, had to pay $80 bond with leccy. Apparently I'll get that knocked off a bill after 12 months of good behaviour
Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by wmoore
As a new customer, I had no probs with phone, had to pay $80 bond with leccy. Apparently I'll get that knocked off a bill after 12 months of good behaviour
That means you will have to be a good boy then?

Many thanks
MMum
Old Dec 30th 2005, 12:40 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merlotsmum
That means you will have to be a good boy then?

Many thanks
MMum
I always am
Old Dec 30th 2005, 2:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I always am

We believe you (not!)
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:24 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Did you have to sign up for 12 months? We're planning on holiday accomodation for about 1 month then 6 months rental then hopefully buying after that. Would presume they'll be ok with that.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 30th 2005, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stitch
Did you have to sign up for 12 months? We're planning on holiday accomodation for about 1 month then 6 months rental then hopefully buying after that. Would presume they'll be ok with that.

Cheers

Ginny
Same as us.

Wendy
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:52 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Same as us.

Wendy
When and where are you going?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

When and where are you going?

Cheers

Ginny

As soon as possible to Adelaide. Hopefully around March (if they ever send the Visa)
Old Dec 30th 2005, 9:30 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Ginny
The only thing you are likely to be on a contract for is if you have broadband with the biggies like Telstra or Optus or a phone plan with them & even if you do have a contract with them you can move it to the next address, you just pay a moving fee. Just make sure that whatever house you move to you can get the service you already have. Or just choose the non-contract option if you really dont want to be tied in, its just usually more expensive.

Everything else like gas & electricity is pay as you go.

Merlot, I cant imagine why you would have any problems getting services.
Old Dec 31st 2005, 7:41 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
The only thing you are likely to be on a contract for is if you have broadband with the biggies like Telstra or Optus or a phone plan with them & even if you do have a contract with them you can move it to the next address, you just pay a moving fee. Just make sure that whatever house you move to you can get the service you already have. Or just choose the non-contract option if you really dont want to be tied in, its just usually more expensive.

Everything else like gas & electricity is pay as you go.

Cheers for that info. I didn't really think about asking if they cover areas but after reading ADL's post about being told he could and then finding out he couldn't I think I'll do a wee bit more searching.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 31st 2005, 10:08 am

Thx Mrs DB and all who have responded

We did not think we would but then again we didn't think we would have to jump through burning hoops to get back on the radar when we returned to the UK but weren't we in for a shock, what a pain in the bum getting set up here with no credit history for a number of years
Old Dec 31st 2005, 8:25 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that info. I didn't really think about asking if they cover areas but after reading ADL's post about being told he could and then finding out he couldn't I think I'll do a wee bit more searching.

Cheers

Ginny
Ginny, I think you will find that most of ADL's problem is that he is on an acreage estate, if you live in a normal house in a normal suburb, I dont think you will have a problem. You cant do much else than check the existing phone number on whirlpool.

Merlot, dont think it's anything like the same as the UK, don't worry, if it was any sort of problem for new arrivals, you would have heard about it on here (& then heard some more & some more ) .
Old Jan 1st 2006, 9:39 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Ginny, I think you will find that most of ADL's problem is that he is on an acreage estate, if you live in a normal house in a normal suburb, I dont think you will have a problem. You cant do much else than check the existing phone number on whirlpool.

Merlot, dont think it's anything like the same as the UK, don't worry, if it was any sort of problem for new arrivals, you would have heard about it on here (& then heard some more & some more ) .

Cheers MrsD. We're very unlikely to have an acreage estate (unless the our numbers come up!) so that shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:56 pm

You need to set up a gossip column in the Barbie section

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.