Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Returned from valiation visit to Perth...

Returned from valiation visit to Perth...

Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returned from valiation visit to Perth...

Just got back from my trip to validate our visas and although I wasn't really wanting to waste the cash going over for a trip it's been a blessing in disguise.
My eyes have been opened big time, you don't notice everyday things when you're on holiday.
Firstly , my cash isn't going to buy me the dream. I'm going to have a big mortgage over there, just like home.
The houses arent all 4 bed 2 bath big plot ideals!!
The houses you see on the internet and get you exited are cheap for a reason. Probably bad area, in the middle of nowhere, on a freeway etc, just like UK.
There isn't that much to do at night, some pubs in Subiaco, one of the better nightlife areas shut on Sunday!. Others are empty 5 nights of the week.
Speaking to other Expats I met, work is hard to come by, and when it does, it will probably be of the casual low paid variety.
Thats all the bad stuff,
It hasn't put me off in the slightest though, if emigrating was easy everyone would have done it. The good thing is I have the 6 months to prepare. If, as I orginally planned, went without being in Oz since a 3 week holiday 5 years ago I would be shocked and a bit disapointed. Forewarned, forearmed and all that.
I'll keep a good chunk of money back to see me for a year just in case.

In short, learned a lot, now more realistic, no less keen.

Good luck to all, I think we may need it!!,
Old Feb 27th 2004, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Blueboy is an unknown quantity at this point

GengaKev, This is my first time posting on this newsgroup so am just finding my feet.
I`m considering taking the big plunge and moving over to Perth (from the UK) next year. Where is the best place to start gathering some info?

I`m basically starting at the beginning some would welcome info on how best to prepare for the move and also info on what Perth has to offer.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:35 pm
EEL
Forum Regular

EEL is an unknown quantity at this point

Have yourself a couple of kids - you will either be too tired to go out or won't be able to get babysitters so the lack of nightlife won't worry you at all.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Any reason why you are choosing Perth? Jobs seem to be had to come by there, you could always consider the East coast it might give you more opportunities.
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
Any reason why you are choosing Perth? Jobs seem to be had to come by there, you could always consider the East coast it might give you more opportunities.
This seems to be one of life's eternal mysteries Tina

G
Old Feb 27th 2004, 9:56 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Will you be a furnace stoker or a scrounger:

Perth - Scrounger City?
Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:53 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Returned from valiation visit to Perth...

Originally posted by GengaKev
Firstly , my cash isn't going to buy me the dream. I'm going to have a big mortgage over there, just like home.

The houses arent all 4 bed 2 bath big plot ideals!!

The houses you see on the internet and get you exited are cheap for a reason. Probably bad area, in the middle of nowhere, on a freeway etc, just like UK.

There isn't that much to do at night,

Speaking to other Expats I met, work is hard to come by, and when it does, it will probably be of the casual low paid variety.

Good luck to all, I think we may need it!!,
You certainly will need all the luck in the world.

You've got Perth off to a tee
Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:49 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!!!!!!!!!
See, validation trips aren't everything, but they can certainly mean a lot!!!

Luckily, we aren't looking for a big house, and certainly not nightlife!
And hoping that work will be allright because we are in our 20's, have a few contacts and are willing to do everything (yes, even cleaning!)
We'll just have to see, luckily we don't really have anything to lose! (I have no job, we rent, no kids, husband could probably even get his job back if we came back!)

Old Feb 28th 2004, 1:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

I am also glad that we made the validation trip. It gave us the cjance to have a look around at suburbs and investigate businesses etc and open bank accounts.

We also found out that it was going to be easier for us to open up our own business than husband getting a job.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

GengaKev is an unknown quantity at this point

Which line of business did you decide to you into?, The low wages have made me consider looking at a franchise. We'll go over and try getting jobs first though. Who knows, Perth might seem grim after a year?. Did anybody try Brisbane first?.

The bottom line is at least We've deen it first hand before sending all our pocessions over. I'd be daunted if I arrived and was looking at areas, houses, cars and thats without the added pressure of kids. God only knows what thoughts go through those poor folks minds. If anything I'm going to enjoy my last few months in the UK more. The simple joy of pub culture, not getting lost constantly, even getting up in the morning to go to work??!!
Old Feb 28th 2004, 2:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Genga

We are headed for the Gold Coast. We are going into the hospitality business when we get there.
Old Feb 28th 2004, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

neal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
Genga

We are headed for the Gold Coast. We are going into the hospitality business when we get there.
Hi Debsy-have sent you a pm.Mrs.N
Old Feb 29th 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Blueboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by tinaj
Main reason for choosing Perth was the good weather (i here that Southern OZ is similarly unpredictable like UK), more of a relaxed way of living and cheaper housing. At the moment i don`t know a great deal about the place, which is why i am trying to find out more about it. We haven`t particularly set our hearts on Perth so i suppose the East Coast is very much an option.

My dad spent about 12 months in Perth (albeit 20+ years ago) and he loved the place, i guess he has pretty much sold it to us. We are planning a months holiday in OZ later this year, doing Sydney, Cairnes and Perth of course. So i hope to get a better idea about the place.

I really would like to know what peoples honest views are about Perth. I`m not neccessarily worried about the employment side of things, cos being a "Scrounger" as someone has kindly posted, i can always rob a few cars for a living. Seriously though i`d like to know more about the culture. Is the pace of life slower, friendlier? What type of environment is it like for a couple of young Kids? These are the sorts of things that i would like people to comment on.

Thanks.

BB.