Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retraining as an electrician. (Perth area)

Retraining as an electrician. (Perth area)

Old Aug 20th 2005, 2:11 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light
Default Retraining as an electrician. (Perth area)

Friends of ours are arriving here soon, and the male of the partnership wants to retrain as an electrician (something he has always fancied doing apparantley) Does anyone know how he would go about doing that, and where he would do it etc. You hear all these stories of electricians and plumbers doing 10 day courses then being qualified.......but I guess its not as simple as that. Any help for them would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 20th 2005, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retraining as an electrician. (Perth area)

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Friends of ours are arriving here soon, and the male of the partnership wants to retrain as an electrician (something he has always fancied doing apparantley) Does anyone know how he would go about doing that, and where he would do it etc. You hear all these stories of electricians and plumbers doing 10 day courses then being qualified.......but I guess its not as simple as that. Any help for them would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Try these two addresses, one's for a college that instructs the course, the other is the licencing body for W.A.
Good Luck

http://www.cet.asn.au/index.htm
http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/en...lectrical.html
Old Aug 20th 2005, 1:26 pm
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by lilstewie
Try these two addresses, one's for a college that instructs the course, the other is the licencing body for W.A.
Good Luck

http://www.cet.asn.au/index.htm
http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/en...lectrical.html
Thanks for that, both look interesting. Does anyone happen to know the length of time it would take for a non-electrician to become an electrician.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Apprenticeships here are 4 years.
My husband has made a career change and is training to be a plumber- he wa the most mature person in his class (of 15-21 year olds) but is enjoying it and age should be no bar.

But your mate should be prepared for a 4 year slog through rubbish pay and some training.

(there are short courses but they will not make him a licensed electrician and you can do very little in your own right until licenced.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 1:31 am
Formerly Windsurfer UK

windsurfer WA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
You need an "A" class electrical licence to do electrical work in WA . I was unable to get recognition as though having worked as a lift engineer for 20 yrs in Britain and have electrical qualifications C&G ect..they are not recognised as I had a mechanical apprenticeship not an electrical one . Anyone working here on electrical equipment here needs an A class or at least a restricted electrical licence or they will not take you on . Moved on into a different field now so makes no difference now .
Fancied a change anyway after 20 yrs.
Regards, windy
Old Aug 21st 2005, 9:55 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm hoping by reading this then that Malc can just do the registration courses, as he should get his C&G results any day now..... (sure he's passed!)

Or will he still need to do the apprenticeship? (hes done his C&G but not much electrical hands on exp)
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bridiej
I'm hoping by reading this then that Malc can just do the registration courses, as he should get his C&G results any day now..... (sure he's passed!)

Or will he still need to do the apprenticeship? (hes done his C&G but not much electrical hands on exp)
australia does'nt seem to recognise citry and guilds.

john did 3 yrs and then another year doing advanced craft in brickwork and he has still had to do loads of paperwork and courses :scared: $$$$$$$$$$ .

start to finish it will take him 6 months to get his licence..
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by JJL family
australia does'nt seem to recognise citry and guilds.

john did 3 yrs and then another year doing advanced craft in brickwork and he has still had to do loads of paperwork and courses :scared: $$$$$$$$$$ .

start to finish it will take him 6 months to get his licence..
oh shit, so Malc has wasted 2 1/2 years and over £1000 then!

Will have to look into the options further I think....
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

lilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond reputelilstewie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
oh shit, so Malc has wasted 2 1/2 years and over £1000 then!

Will have to look into the options further I think....
Have hubby look into getting a JIB card, not 100% sure, but i believe it is now the Electrotechnical Certification Scheme. Providing he can get recognition, the licencing board in Oz should allow him to take the licencing test- apparently the JIB cards are recognised over there and cut down on waiting time for an assessment. Meanwhile, he needs to get as much hands on as he can-try asking around the local sparkies to see if they will take him on in a sort of training role at weekends/holidays etc. but mention that he is planning to emmigrate so there is no conflict with them for work in the future.
Have a look here:
http://www.jib.org.uk/ecshsa.htm
Also, have a look at the application form for W.A. it explains what you need to provide for the application:
http://www.energysafety.wa.gov.au/energysafety/media_include/Form_R018_0704.pdf
Best of luck, and chin up - you're almost there, wish i was as far on as you are.
Old Aug 21st 2005, 10:50 am

Thanks for the info

He tried getting work as a spark earlier in the year as he was going to leave his current job and do a few months full time, it's worse than the bloody masons though!! No one wanted to know, which crushed the little confidence he has.

I shall have another word with him as he did some work on the weekends with a guy - just awkward as not sure what to do about his tools / equipment as he needs to use his own but we'll have to get the shippers in soon.....

Blimey, never easy is it!! LOL!