Retraining

Old Nov 5th 2008, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Retraining

How many people have retrained to change careers for there move to Oz? If so what did you do before and what do you do now? Where did you do the retraining? Why did you decide to do it?

Sorry for the questions. Having a quarter-life crisis at 28
Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Retraining

I changed careers, but not specifically to come to Oz - I did the change first then decided to come over.

Not a big one - I was doing electronics and embedded software design for communications systems. I jumped over to high voltage engineering. The problem that seems to be in technical fields is that if you work in one branch, eg energy, telecommunications, railways etc, if you try to get a job in a different branch - even if doing the same thing - they have an attitude 'but we want somebody who has spent so many years in this field, which you haven't' while ignoring all those skills that you can bring over.

I jumped over because my company was 'restructuring' and it wasn't looking good. I decided to use the last of my time there constructively by properly deciding what I wanted to do, researching it thoroughly then looking for a position. There's nothing more depressing than waiting for the outcome of restructuring when the walls are crashing down.

I decided on high voltage engineering because it seems to be fairly stable right now. The telecommunications industry was bombing back in 2003 and 2004. I suppose all industries go through cycles of growth and cuts, you just have to try to ride the wave and be prepared to jump ship when it comes to it.

I went back to university and did a course. It was quite industry focussed which meant I got to mingle with important people and use them to find work over here. Doing a course seemed to be the best way to overcome the 'you don't have any experience in our industry' that I got when trying to job hunt.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:33 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
How many people have retrained to change careers for there move to Oz? If so what did you do before and what do you do now? Where did you do the retraining? Why did you decide to do it?

was a hairdresser now currently in the middle of a bachelor of occupational health and safety degree, reasons its better paid than hairdressing will ever be.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Wanted to retrain as a Gigelo but sadly did not measure up
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Wanted to retrain as a Gigelo but sadly did not measure up
Wow 4 posts in before a response like that, thought it would be quicker than that

Thx everyone. I'm currently in IT Support and really starting to hate it, got no passion for it anymore. I work part time as a racing school instructor but this isn't going to work in Oz so I was looking at something else.

Always wanted to work a chef but not sure how feasible this would be to retrain in. Other areas I'm not sure about. Suppose I could be a cheerleaders team oil boy???
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Wow 4 posts in before a response like that, thought it would be quicker than that

Thx everyone. I'm currently in IT Support and really starting to hate it, got no passion for it anymore. I work part time as a racing school instructor but this isn't going to work in Oz so I was looking at something else.

Always wanted to work a chef but not sure how feasible this would be to retrain in. Other areas I'm not sure about. Suppose I could be a cheerleaders team oil boy???
Could always use your IT skills to get the visa to Australia - then drop that and do racing instruction instead
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:12 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't retrain before coming over here but am having a career change now I'm here - joining the Police Force.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Could always use your IT skills to get the visa to Australia - then drop that and do racing instruction instead
Thats what I've done at the moment. I would do racing instruction if I could but not sure how much of a market there is for that thing down under.

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I didn't retrain before coming over here but am having a career change now I'm here - joining the Police Force.
How are you finding the change? Did you have to quit you job to do full time training or something?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 1:02 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

How are you finding the change? Did you have to quit you job to do full time training or something?
Yeah if you get in you have to go to the Police Academy full time for 6 months (you get paid something like 80% of a first year constable's pay while you're there), then you have another 12 months at a station working as a cop but with sort of supervision.
Old Nov 8th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I would do racing instruction if I could but not sure how much of a market there is for that thing down under.
What sort of racing instruction?
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:12 am
Account Closed

stevenglish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louie
Glad you asked, not me

I've been on the railway 24 years but have swapped disciplines, good job too cos it gave me the chance to come out here

Where in Kent louie? I'm from Ashford
Old Nov 8th 2008, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevenglish
Where in Kent louie? I'm from Ashford
Beautiful Tunbridge Wells. Overcast at the moment but the autumn trees are looking gorgeous.
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by louie
I used to race semi professionally in single seaters in the UK & USA but my career ran out of steam after the money dried up. I went back to full time work doing IT Support but also did part time work at weekends at racing schools around the UK.

Basically its being an instructor at corporate/experience days where you turn to up to drive Ferrari's/Porsches/Lamborghini's etc and I teach you how to drive them properly. Also do one-to-one race tution for drivers who want to improve certain skills or work on there technique. I could do it full time in the UK but it pays really low which is an issue, plus its only March-November so the rest of the year I need to do something else.

Great fun though
Old Nov 10th 2008, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, I to am an IT support guy by trade and I to have become fed up with it, well to be honest I have been fed up with it for years ! I tried to use my qualifications to get into australia which proved difficult as they dont accept any microsoft or industry standards eventually I got in through a family sponsored visa as I had an uncle.

At the end of the day if your not happy in your job, change it, its your life you only get one shot at it. Dont worry about being to old, dont worry about the money, when you reach the end of your life will you be there regretting you never did it or will you have no regrets...

I know for one am trying to make a change away from IT support, if it doesnt work out at least I tried.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.