Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retirement in Australia

Retirement in Australia

Old May 7th 2013, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Mims is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retirement in Australia

Just searching for some advice and pro's/cons of moving to Australia in retirement. Im a 58 yr old RN with a 63 yr old semi retired hubby. One of my two daughters has been in Aus for nearly 6 yrs and my other daughter is seriously planning to move within the next year or two. So that's it .... my two girls on the other side of the world. Hence the search for advice. Where do I begin (as the song goes)?
Old May 7th 2013, 2:13 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retirement in Australia

Hello there and welcome to the forum . Your question really needs to be addressed to those in Aus, so I'll shift your thread over to the Aus forum. I imagine we must have plenty of posters on here who have already retired in Australia. All the best with your decisions.
Old May 7th 2013, 3:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Do you want to move or are you just moving because they have? It could be an issue financially - check out the most likely visa for you Contributory Parent Vi$a - and also other little bonuses like frozen UK government pension, no access to Australian Aged Benefit payments for 10 years or other benefit payments for 2 years.

My parents ultimately decided against leaving their own home, social network, siblings, access to services etc but for 15 years they did the 6 month here 6 month there deal and it was a whole lot cheaper in the long run and they lived in a perpetual summer until at 81 they decided they couldnt hack the trip any more but by that time one of the grandkids had moved back to UK anyway.

Just a thought and good luck with your journey
Old May 7th 2013, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

I'm happy with my life here. I have a lovely home and garden in stunningly beautiful North Wales. We don't have many close friends but that's never been too much of a problem. I have family within 1 1/2 drive. We both enjoy caravaning and the countryside and to be 100% truthful I would never have even visited Australia until 6 yrs ago after my eldest left the UK 6 months pregnant with our first grandchild. I have spent one month each year holidaying in wherever my daughter and her other half have been posted (both Australian army officers) just so that I can spend some time with my only grandchildren. So all I am doing now is reading and researching and gathering as much info as possible. Any helpful advice will be taken on board.
Old May 7th 2013, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Do not move to follow your children. What happens if they get relocated somewhere else?
My parents have a friend who did what you are considering - moved from UK to Aus to be with their only daughter. Within a month of arriving, the Son In Law was transferred to Melbourne (from Perth)... UK Parent had no claim on any Aus benefits and her partner got cancer...cost them a fortune in medical expenses and she has ultimately moved back to the UK, much poorer and on her own...
6 months here and 6 months works as quoll suggests...
Old May 8th 2013, 1:51 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mims
Just searching for some advice and pro's/cons of moving to Australia in retirement. Im a 58 yr old RN with a 63 yr old semi retired hubby. One of my two daughters has been in Aus for nearly 6 yrs and my other daughter is seriously planning to move within the next year or two. So that's it .... my two girls on the other side of the world. Hence the search for advice. Where do I begin (as the song goes)?
Do you have a visa to live in Australia? Do you qualify for one? If the answer to those questions is no, then the rest is moot.
Old May 8th 2013, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I think Quoll's idea of 6 months on 6 months off is outstanding. You could even shuffle the times a little.
Old May 8th 2013, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

If your daughter in Australia is a permanent resident then you would qualify for a parent visa. The best place to start is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/family/visa-options.htm

and here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm

The main two visas which you would qualify for are te 103 - which unfortunately now has a waiting list of around 15 years and so the only real option for most parents is the 173/143. This takes around 15-20 months to process, but is very expensive.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i/parent.htm

I do sympathise. We are in Australia and have one daughter here and our son is also looking at moving over. However, we are finding it very expensive and you need to be sure that you can support yourselves or have enough pension to be able to live here.
Old May 8th 2013, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your help and information. I think that perhaps 6 months here and 6 months there may be the way to go. Eldest daughter is now an Australian citizen and her and the two children have duel nationality... British/Australian. I think that trying to live in Australia with a UK income is going to really be a struggle having read the info posted. Which did confirm my initial thoughts. Having been to Australia several times, I have seen just how expensive this can be. My pension will be a final salary one so in terms of UK living shouldn't be too bad but I fear that it will go nowhere in Australia.
Old May 8th 2013, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your help and information. I think that perhaps 6 months here and 6 months there may be the way to go. Eldest daughter is now an Australian citizen and her and the two children have duel nationality... British/Australian. I think that trying to live in Australia with a UK income is going to really be a struggle having read the info posted. Which did confirm my initial thoughts. Having been to Australia several times, I have seen just how expensive this can be. My pension will be a final salary one so in terms of UK living shouldn't be too bad but I fear that it will go nowhere in Australia.
Its only expensive on the using pounds euros US dollars or any other deflated currency. That said the aussie dollar is dropping in value. Whether it continues to do so remains to be seen. I personally I hope not as the value of me being on Oz goes away. For you and many other foriegn retires its best it does drop
Old May 8th 2013, 9:11 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Its only expensive on the using pounds euros US dollars or any other deflated currency. That said the aussie dollar is dropping in value. Whether it continues to do so remains to be seen. I personally I hope not as the value of me being on Oz goes away. For you and many other foriegn retires its best it does drop
Most British retirees income will be in sterling....so it will be expensive
Old May 8th 2013, 11:11 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I sent you a PM.