Reload this Page >

Retired parent visiting - options

Retired parent visiting - options

Old Oct 10th 2004, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retired parent visiting - options

Hi Folks,

We have been PR in Oz for about 18 months now and I would like my retired father in law to come for an extended 6 month visit, but the normal ETA visitor visa is only for 3 months and I do not believe that it is possible to apply for a new ETA while you are in Oz.

Ideally, we would like him to come out anytime, and stay for as long as he likes as his only grandson is here, but he doesn’t pass the “balance of family� test as he has a son and daughter in the UK.

He is 75 and retired with a modest pension, but it would be more than enough to sustain him over here while he stayed.

Also, he has been advised to get the Post Office T6 application to cover him while he is over here. Is that sufficient, or should he take out some additional medical insurance to cover him?

Any advice much appreciated.

Gordon
Old Oct 10th 2004, 9:09 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retired parent visiting - options

this DIMIA page should help

I thought there was a visa for 12mths but either I am mistaken or it has been withdrawn.

Have a look at the FAQs especially the bits relating to medical cert & insurance for the over 70s
Old Oct 10th 2004, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Hi, I believe the tourist visa is available for up to 12 months at a time (long stay visitors visa) - there's info on it on the DIMIA web site. Think you have to complete an application as opposed to the 3 month ETA.

Hope that helps,

HB x
Old Oct 11th 2004, 7:49 am
Just Joined

dazzyr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
I asked this question only yesterday at a seminar & it seems that when you have been in Oz for 2 years your dad will be able to come over as long as you are his sponsor. Basically as long as he is in good health - i.e doesn't require regular costly medical attention then he can come in after paying an amount of $26400 which roughly equates to 10 years medical coverage (they reckon an average Ozzie costs $2500 a year - don't know how!). You also have to put up a 10 year bond of $14000 - which is refundable and earns interest however this can fall in value if your father was to make too many medical claims.
Hope this helps
Darren
Old Oct 11th 2004, 9:41 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzyr
Hi
I asked this question only yesterday at a seminar & it seems that when you have been in Oz for 2 years your dad will be able to come over as long as you are his sponsor. Basically as long as he is in good health - i.e doesn't require regular costly medical attention then he can come in after paying an amount of $26400 which roughly equates to 10 years medical coverage (they reckon an average Ozzie costs $2500 a year - don't know how!). You also have to put up a 10 year bond of $14000 - which is refundable and earns interest however this can fall in value if your father was to make too many medical claims.
Hope this helps
Darren
You're talking about the Contributory Parent migration visa. The original question was talking about tourist visas - very different requirements.

Concerning the Contributory Parent visa:

- bear in mind the 'balance of family' test
- Medical costs are *not* deducted from the bond, but any recoverable welfare costs are. And if the bond is not enough, Centrelink can chase the assurer directly.

Plenty of information on the Contributory Parent visa is on the DIMIA website.

Jeremy