Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Retired and heading back to UK

Retired and heading back to UK

Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Bronson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Retired and heading back to UK

Hi new to the site. Have been retired for sometime and have decided to move back to UK to be near family etc.
Sold home in Aust but not ready to buy in UK wondering about how to maximise return on capital, which country to put money in. Interest rates seem appalling in UK & don't think I would be allowed to invest in ISA's as not taxpayer.
Interested to know if anyone has similar experience.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 1:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Retired and heading back to UK

Originally Posted by Bronson
Hi new to the site. Have been retired for sometime and have decided to move back to UK to be near family etc.
Sold home in Aust but not ready to buy in UK wondering about how to maximise return on capital, which country to put money in. Interest rates seem appalling in UK & don't think I would be allowed to invest in ISA's as not taxpayer.
I may be wrong here, but the UK banks have told me ISA's are based on residency.

Perhaps you could look at hedging your bets. Part UK part Oz.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, I will do some research.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 5:34 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bronson. Scouse and I have been discussing the same thing prior to a retirement move back to the UK, ie where best to keep our capital so we get the best return, and also the best investment method (real estate, term deposits etc).

After seemingly endless research ourselves, we've realized that the best way for us is to get professional advice from someone who's experienced in the taxation systems of both countries, and a good financial advisor. I'm not sure we'll be able to find one person to do both so I anticipate a bit of to-ing and fro-ing before we're finished. I think there are just too many risks in DIY, unless you're well across everything yourself. The pot has to last for the rest of our lives, after all. Good luck!
Old Mar 30th 2014, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

I like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to beholdI like tea is a splendid one to behold

I am also considering retiring back to the UK so have the same queries as you. I know if you own property ( as a non resident ) and rent it out in Oz you pay 30% tax on that income. The rate may have changed as my accountant informed me of this about 3 years ago.

If you find a good financial adviser who is familiar with both systems could you please pm me as I have had no such luck in this area. I live in Brisbane.

Thanks
Old Mar 30th 2014, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

yes there are numerous issues to consider - including preservation of capital - access to capital (hard to sell a house quickly if you need funds for example) taxation issues in both countries etc. You should seek professional advice in this regard including taxation and investment/retirement planning from both countries - and yes where you invest will impact returns etc. Pm if you wish a POC for advice etc in the UK.

cheers john
Old Mar 30th 2014, 6:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Alan Collett is a chartered accountant in both the UK and Australia and has offices in both countries I think
Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

+1 for Alan Collett

He regularly gives free general advise on here
Old Mar 30th 2014, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Seems as if this is not an unusual problem. I live in Brisbane too, and my accountant & financial advisor are just doom & gloom. It is something I have waited years to do & having dual citizenship I naively imagined it would not be too much of a issue.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Seems as if this is not an unusual problem. I live in Brisbane too, and my accountant & financial advisor are just doom & gloom. It is something I have waited years to do & having dual citizenship I naively imagined it would not be too much of a issue.
Why doom and gloom?......all you would be expected to pay is tax on any interest received....same as with any other income.

You would have to pay that regardlesss of where your money is invested.

You can hold foreign currency accounts up to $250000 which are not liable to tax if you declare them not to be as long as they are non interest accounts.

Maybe exchange rate gains will be worth more than the interest....but that is something which can not be predicted.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 3:38 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
+1 for Alan Collett

He regularly gives free general advise on here

Thanks for recommendations!

I'm available via a PM or email (preferred) - click on my name to the left of this posting.

Best regards.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

denzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond reputedenzil73 has a reputation beyond repute

From an exchange rate basis the UK pound has always been a strong currency and so is useful in getting the most when transferring into another currency.

as for interest rates, well that really depends how the economy of the country your savings are in is performing.

However, there are fairly safe options with bonds and other forms of trading that can yield good returns above the local interest rates.

also, NEVER use a bank to make an exchange cos their rates and fees are a rip off. TransferWise are a new UK lot and I've used XE for many years to good effect. The Swift exchange fee is always 25unit of the local currency so moving large amounts is more beneficial than small.

You could buy a few investment properties in Oz and use their income to live off. I know the tax breaks are good for people with a mortgage but unsure for those without. ask a financial adviser as could be a good form of revenue for you.
Old Mar 31st 2014, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

john in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond reputejohn in oz has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst we can help in certain areas - Alan has been around for a while and is a steady hand who has good knowledge of both tax systems - he should be your start point in relation to the tax affects on your decisions.... A good financial planner can assist with strategy and direction as well but they should work in close consultation with the tax adviser otherwise you will not achieve good outcomes for your personal circumstances.

So the important thing here is that whatever professionals you use you need to ensure they are talking to each other to achieve the best outcomes for you! if not they are wasting your time!!!

cheers john