Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

restricted electrical licence Qld

restricted electrical licence Qld

Old Aug 9th 2008, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Fitterjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default restricted electrical licence Qld

How do I get my restricted electrical licence in Queensland? I have looked on the TAFE web site and things vary from collage to collage. Do you have to be working before I apply? Or can you enrol soon as you arrive in oz and do a crash course without having to do night school for 6 months.
Is there a quicker way?
Anyone got there restricted electrical licence

Any help much appreciated
Old Aug 9th 2008, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

leave_n_on_a_Jet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: restricted electrical licence Qld

Originally Posted by Fitterjo
How do I get my restricted electrical licence in Queensland? I have looked on the TAFE web site and things vary from collage to collage. Do you have to be working before I apply? Or can you enrol soon as you arrive in oz and do a crash course without having to do night school for 6 months.
Is there a quicker way?

there is a guy doing his electrical course at the tafe im at i think he said it was taking him 2 years for a full licence.

was told in Perth the Sparks are getting $100k a year on wages and $200 -$250 self employed.

James
Old Aug 10th 2008, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of

What trade to you need the restricted licence for?

Chris.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Hi Chris
I'm a maintenance fitter(disconnect and reconnect motors and gearbox for conveyors)

Sounds like I should get the full sparky licence if thats what they are paying.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 9:07 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fitterjo
Is there a quicker way?

have alook here mate

http://www.qet.edu.au/

or come into the electrical forum we dont bite
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Fitterjo;

unless you have qualifications from the UK for electrical & i mean an apprenticeship or 7 years experience then you wont be granted any certificate to do the A class license sorry to say.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

My apprenticeship was mechanical so I applied under this to get my visa and ARTC this was the only way for me. I do have a HNC in electrical and electronic engineering but I know its no good to me in OZ
I thought I could maximise my chances of getting a job with a restricted licence.
I want to do the best I can to get a decent job in OZ

Thanks for the info, I’ll contact the QET and see what they say.
See you on the electrical forum
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point

Fitter Jo,
You have a HNC? It is useful in OZ, you will need to have it checked out bu engineers australia. Depending when you achived your HNC you can get a covering letter from the Engineering Council UK (ECUK) which you can send to Engineers Australia, who will then grant you a letter of recognition. HNC is roughly equal to an Australian Advanced Diploma.

Cheers

Dom
Old Aug 13th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

Fitterjo;

you can do a couple of day course for disconnect & reconnect however thats restricting to very basic work, you would only be looking at basic maint work or installing things like Air Con even then you must have the air Con license ia real nightmare mate just getting a job that would suit your skills
Old Aug 13th 2008, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

The S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to beholdThe S's is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Domenic
Fitter Jo,
You have a HNC? It is useful in OZ, you will need to have it checked out bu engineers australia. Depending when you achived your HNC you can get a covering letter from the Engineering Council UK (ECUK) which you can send to Engineers Australia, who will then grant you a letter of recognition. HNC is roughly equal to an Australian Advanced Diploma.

Cheers

Dom
I have an HNC and nobody hAS EVER EVEN LOOKED AT MY QUALS SINCE i HAVE BEEN HERE. Only interested in experience. As for a restricted licence it aint that easy. You can't just enroll. You need your company to sponsor you along with a fully qualified QLD spark. You have to apply to enroll and give your reasons for doing so. It must not be to save the company money but must be beneficial in some other way. You can be turned down.Then you you must work along side the spark to gain experience as well as go to tafe. Was about to start mine until got made redundant. May have another go once company I am in finds a full time elec.
I too am a fitter and you can be assured there is lots of work here for you, some good some bad. Looking at around $30 ph with loads of over time.
Don't worry about the restricted licence till you get here, it is a good job clincher but theres little you can do until you get a job here.
Best of look

Sean
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

The S's;

well said mate, i do agree with most you propose to this person, in victoria even though he is a fitter im almost sure he can do a couple of days course to get the dis connect & re connect license, its a question of who you know at the Tafe's. but at the end of the day he can work in the fitting area for a company then get the restricted license if he likes, as i say in Victoria he can just enroll at Tafe im almost sure of that.