Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Respect for the sea and life Savers

Respect for the sea and life Savers

Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:08 pm
Sydneysider and lovin it!

Dinky is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Respect for the sea and life Savers

Mrs. Dinky and I were some of the people who were grateful to the fantastic Aussie Life Savers on Cronulla beach over the weekend. I understand that they pulled 30+ people from the beach and over 450 across the NSW coast, some were not so lucky.

We were swimming between the flags, me on a boogie board, Mrs. D just swimming. After going of to catch a couple of waves I came back to find her swimming just outside the flags and trying hard to get back between them (we’re talking 5-8 mtrs here). She was not making progress and was relieved to see me. I came along side her and told her to hang on to the board and I’d pull her in to shore, I could touch the bottom ok. However I realized why she was struggling to make progress and a strong rip was running through the area. Try as I might I could not pull her in. I decided that we should swim across the current and get out of the rip (this was my first experience of a rip, but I’ve heard of them). As soon as we made progress a big wave would come and knock Mrs. D back into the water, not good. After 10minutes of making no progress, but not loosing much ground, we signaled the lifeguards. Within 4-5 minutes they were with us and help Mrs. D back in while I surfed the waves in.
The guys were great and I can’t praise them enough. The scary thing was we were only just outside the flags and people 10 meters either side of us were swimming happily. The moral? Stay within the flags at all times and always respect the power of the sea. Rips really are a scary experience the first time you’re in one.

A slightly shaken Dinky
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:21 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Respect for the sea and life Savers

Glad to hear you came out safely.
Yes, respect to the SLSC people, they do a good job.
It is a pity that not everyone has the same respect for them or the sea. I do wonder what some people are thinking when they blatantly ignore the warnings. It's not only their life they might endanger then. It makes me mad.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:26 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Very glad you and wife are ok - the lifeguards are fantastic aren't they?

We were at MonaVale beach Northern Beaches Sydney on the Sunday, my son was skimboarding and I was sitting in the car reading a book cause it was peeing down. The warning horn went off to get everyone out cause the wind was whipping the sea and rain so the patrol obviously could not see anyone in the water. First time I have heard the horn though seen quite a few rescues. Obviously only the swimmers came out not the surfers or body boarders and there were hoards of them due to the wave size!

The thing was when reading the newspaper on Monday about the number of deaths in one weekend (five) I was amazed. I used to be afraid of the jelly fish and shark aspect of the sea but the sea itself is the biggest killer.

We all only ever swim between the flags and the kids have had surf and sea awareness lessons about the rips etc. My daughter had to be pulled from a rip on the Gold Coast just before Christmas at Surfers on a calm sunny day - she knew enough like you to try and swim to the edge of the rip and get her hand up and ask for help before she got too tired. So our only task was thanking the Guards profusely.

Sandra
Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:29 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Amen to that. I'm an avid surfer and strong rips are very scary. If you ever get caught remember to swim parallel to the beach until you're out of the current.

Old Jan 31st 2005, 10:45 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dinky
The guys were great and I can’t praise them enough. The scary thing was we were only just outside the flags and people 10 meters either side of us were swimming happily. The moral? Stay within the flags at all times and always respect the power of the sea. Rips really are a scary experience the first time you’re in one.

A slightly shaken Dinky
You did the right thing. As you found out swimming against a rip is futile and tiring. I once helped rescue a body boarder that had knackered himself fighting a rip. I just got him to lie on my surfboard and paddled him halfway back until the lifesavers could get back out. They were already rescuing 12 swimmers who couldn't be bothered swimming between the flags.

The waves at the weekend were powerful and the bigger the wave the stronger the rip.

If you are tired and caught in a rip wave your arms to catch the attention of the surf lifesavers. Try and conserve enough energy to tread water until they can make it out to you.

ABOVE ALL SWIM BETWEEN THE FLAGS

Snakes and spiders have nothing on the deadly power of the ocean.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:20 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

We have been here for 7 months now and as soon as the Junior Surf Lifesavers started in October...our two were there(8 and 9) they love it and have learned so much in the last few months......they dont panic anymore if they get taken out by a huge wave, u just see them pop up to the surface and off they go again......they know what all the flags mean etc, and know when u defo should not even go near the sea just by looking at it...not bad for just starting at nippers.

If you learn about and respect the ocean its the only way to go!!!!!

WELL DONE LIFESAVERS KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!!
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:38 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

One of the five who died this weekend

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...de/4224283.stm

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=36867

The unpatrolled beach was mentioned in the 2nd article.