Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Resident Return Visa

Resident Return Visa

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all
Question Resident Return Visa

We are going back to the Uk for 4 weeks in May. We are permanent residents but will have only been here for 23 months when we go so we aren't eligibile for a 5 year RRV, only a 3mth one. What I am trying to find out is, if I go and get this RRV now will it be dated from today - in which case it will have expired before I even leave the country, or do they post date it to when I am leaving. Also, if this is the case and I have to wait until just before we go, is there a big possibility they won't let us have one, or is it usually standard to issue them. I have read and re-read the info on www.immi.gov.au but it doesn't seem to give much info re this, their main concern seems to be if you have left without an RRV and now want to come back.
Any help appreciated please.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:55 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Re: Resident Return Visa

Hi Welshgirl,

As PRs with valid visas (assuming I've not misunderstood and your visas will still be valid by the time you come back to Aus), surely you don't need an RRV when you return to the UK for a visit?

As far as I know you can come and go as you please before your PR visas expire.

I'm no expert though so hopefully someone else will confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.

Elaine M
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 8:57 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Elaine M
As PRs with valid visas (assuming I've not misunderstood and your visas will still be valid by the time you come back to Aus), surely you don't need an RRV when you return to the UK for a visit?

Thats how I read it too.

Old Feb 2nd 2005, 9:12 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Welshgirl,

I'm no expert though so hopefully someone else will confirm or correct me if I'm wrong.

Elaine M
And that's how I read it too. Three out of three can't be bad!

Happy travels!

Binbird
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 10:50 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshgirl
We are going back to the Uk for 4 weeks in May. We are permanent residents but will have only been here for 23 months when we go so we aren't eligibile for a 5 year RRV, only a 3mth one. What I am trying to find out is, if I go and get this RRV now will it be dated from today - in which case it will have expired before I even leave the country, or do they post date it to when I am leaving. Also, if this is the case and I have to wait until just before we go, is there a big possibility they won't let us have one, or is it usually standard to issue them. I have read and re-read the info on www.immi.gov.au but it doesn't seem to give much info re this, their main concern seems to be if you have left without an RRV and now want to come back.
Any help appreciated please.
Do you still have PR visas with a valid re-entry facility? If so, you don't need RRVs unless the re-entry facility will expire when you are overseas.

Look at your visas in your passports.

Jeremy
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

welshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to allwelshgirl is a name known to all

Aaah - just had a look at the visa and it says Granted 14 Mar 03 must not arrive after 14 Mar 08. Multiple travel.
So have I been getting stressed out for nothing?
This means I can go back and forth as many times as I want before 14 Mar 08 without getting an RRV? But obviously I will apply for citizenship after the 2 years have been completed so won't need to worry at all about RRVs - ever!

Thank you so much for your replies, it's greatly appreciated.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 12:17 am

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by welshgirl
Aaah - just had a look at the visa and it says Granted 14 Mar 03 must not arrive after 14 Mar 08. Multiple travel.
So have I been getting stressed out for nothing?
This means I can go back and forth as many times as I want before 14 Mar 08 without getting an RRV? But obviously I will apply for citizenship after the 2 years have been completed so won't need to worry at all about RRVs - ever!

Thank you so much for your replies, it's greatly appreciated.
That's right, you will be ok until March 2008.

In calculating your two years residency for citizenship purposes don't forget to exclude any time spent outside Australia.

Elaine M
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 1:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

That's right, you will be ok until March 2008.
Correct - if you become an Australian citizen within the 5 years then you never need to worry about the RRV.

In calculating your two years residency for citizenship purposes don't forget to exclude any time spent outside Australia.

Elaine M
There's a residence calculator online at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Jeremy
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:05 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Correct - if you become an Australian citizen within the 5 years then you never need to worry about the RRV.

There's a residence calculator online at http://www.citizenship.gov.au

Jeremy
I just had a look at the info & the residence calculator and it seems to imply that you have to spend a continuous period of 12 months in Oz, where you don't leave the country at all (or am I reading it wrong).

The problem is that, 12 months is a long time, & for those of us who have to make business trips abroad, or who have sick relatives in the UK that we need to go visit from time to time, it could be very difficult to meet that criterion. If this is the case - how on earth do people manage it??

Anya.
Old Feb 3rd 2005, 7:13 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by anya4oz
I just had a look at the info & the residence calculator and it seems to imply that you have to spend a continuous period of 12 months in Oz, where you don't leave the country at all (or am I reading it wrong).

The problem is that, 12 months is a long time, & for those of us who have to make business trips abroad, or who have sick relatives in the UK that we need to go visit from time to time, it could be very difficult to meet that criterion. If this is the case - how on earth do people manage it??

Anya.
The 12 months doesn't have to be continuous, just accumulated during the previous 24 months:
To apply for Australian citizenship you would need to have been in Australia for at least 2 years as a permanent resident in the last five years. This time must include a total of twelve months in the two years immediately before making your citizenship application. The twelve months does not need to be continuous.
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/faq.htm#faq4

Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:23 am
PommieLeague

Where does somebody like myself who is on a temporary 820 Spouse visa stand about travelling to the UK and returning back to Aus?
Ive been told that I may not even be allowed back in?
Would I need a RRV?
Thanks

Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lathlain
Where does somebody like myself who is on a temporary 820 Spouse visa stand about travelling to the UK and returning back to Aus?
Ive been told that I may not even be allowed back in?
Would I need a RRV?
Thanks
A Temp Spouse Visa covers your travel until the decision is made on PR. You can go to the UK on it and come back, no problem.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:32 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by Pollyana
A Temp Spouse Visa covers your travel until the decision is made on PR. You can go to the UK on it and come back, no problem.
You mean without a RRV? Really?

Old Feb 13th 2005, 9:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lathlain
You mean without a RRV? Really?
You will probably be issued with a sub class 100 PR visa when the decision is made. The 100 is valid for travel for 5 years. You can apply for an RRV when the 100 expires however I will be going for citizenship to avoid the potential hassles. I was on a 309 when I was issued a temp spouse visa which allowed for multiple entry and I had no hassle returning to Australia after overseas trips.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 10:01 am
PommieLeague

Originally Posted by bondipom
You will probably be issued with a sub class 100 PR visa when the decision is made. The 100 is valid for travel for 5 years. You can apply for an RRV when the 100 expires however I will be going for citizenship to avoid the potential hassles. I was on a 309 when I was issued a temp spouse visa which allowed for multiple entry and I had no hassle returning to Australia after overseas trips.
Thanks for that BP, be handy to have the 5 yr 'unlimited' travel visa conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.