Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Resale value of imported BMW

Resale value of imported BMW

Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:15 pm
Melbourne bound

paul_d will become famous soon enoughpaul_d will become famous soon enough
Default Resale value of imported BMW

Has anyone managed to resell an imported car?
I've got a 1998 328i SE (E46) that I am struggling to sell before I leave in 10 days (something to do with it being christmas?). So I am thinking about importing it to OZ, but I would probably want to sell it or trade it in after a while.
The total cost to me for the car (UK value + import costs) will be about $23k, and a locally supplied equivalent car sells for about $33k. So I reckon I should be able to get $23k back on it, but has anyone actually managed to sell an import like this? Some people reckon there is no market for them and you have to run it till it stops?

Paul.
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Resale value of imported BMW

Originally Posted by paul_d
I've got a 1998 328i SE (E46) that I am struggling to sell before I leave in 10 days (something to do with it being christmas?). So I am thinking about importing it to OZ, but I would probably want to sell it or trade it in after a while.
The total cost to me for the car (UK value + import costs) will be about $23k, and a locally supplied equivalent car sells for about $33k. So I reckon I should be able to get $23k back on it, but has anyone actually managed to sell an import like this? Some people reckon there is no market for them and you have to run it till it stops?

Paul.
you don't see many beemers on the road here, there is the high luxury car tax that is attracted when they are imported. For 33k you can get alot of car here brand new so I can understand why there wouldn't be much of a market for them at that sort of price.

Do you have anyone in the UK that can sell it for you and forward you the money?
Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:44 pm
ABCDiamond

1998 BMW 328I

E46 Sedan 4dr SA 5sp 2.8i
Prices based on km 70,000 - 130,000
Trade in price guide* $26,100 - $29,900
National average price - private sale* $30,300 - $35,100
Price when new (RRP) $86,800

Close to 18,000 of the previous model E36 318i sedans were sold in Australia from 1991 to July 1998. So they do seem pretty popular.

However....... would local buyers be reluctant to buy an imported model ? Would they "think" it may have different parts, difficult to obtain ? Whether it does or not, is not the point though, it is what the potential buyer may "Think".

Old Dec 29th 2005, 11:48 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

Paul.
you could always put it through an auction
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:51 am
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Auction?

Surely the local car dealers would take it off your hands? May not get as much but at least have the money in your 'sky rocket'.

Think, would you buy an imported aussie car here? Probably not as you would think parts are hard to find, servicing, etc.

Shaun
Old Dec 30th 2005, 8:53 am
Melbourne bound

paul_d will become famous soon enoughpaul_d will become famous soon enough

I can leave it with my Dad to sell, and I would expect buyers to resurface in January. I have been gradually dropping the price over the last few weeks, but the new low price coincides with christmas and new year, so I'll have to wait another week or two to see if there are buyres now.
Thanks to everyone for responding. I really like the car, but it seems like an awful lot of hassle to bring it with me.

Paul.
Old Dec 30th 2005, 7:29 pm
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on how you price it.
Sold my Nov 1999 323i Se with all the sport options, 1 owner, full service history for £4000.
It did have 120,000 miles on it so was glad to only advertise it verbally and someone bought it straight away.
Cheap but at least the money is in the bank.

My Audi goes on Monday week to a mate for the same price the local dealer offered me for it.
Again a bargain but no hassle and gone when I need it to be.

Kevin
Old Dec 30th 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jjonboy
you could always put it through an auction

Or you could give it to me

beth
Old Dec 30th 2005, 10:58 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.
I'd be tempted to bring it. It depends on how attached to it you are. I've seen quite a few older BMWs driving around here in Perth, so I guess there is a market for them. Good european cars tend to really keep their value, one of the reasons I went for a Golf.