Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Requesting Medical records??

Requesting Medical records??

Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Nic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura aboutNic&Jon has a spectacular aura about
Default Requesting Medical records??

Hi everyone

I was under the impression that you would need to request your medical records from your gp before leaving for Oz. I have just spoken to my GP who informed me that you dont take any records with you and that you just notify the surgery that you are leaving and they send the records to a central register where they stay in archives and any info the doctors need in OZ just contact them.

Is this correct??

many thanks

Nic
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:24 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Requesting Medical records??

Originally Posted by Nic&Jon
Hi everyone

I was under the impression that you would need to request your medical records from your gp before leaving for Oz. I have just spoken to my GP who informed me that you dont take any records with you and that you just notify the surgery that you are leaving and they send the records to a central register where they stay in archives and any info the doctors need in OZ just contact them.

Is this correct??

many thanks

Nic
Is your GP from MACKAY and on the run???

You are requested by Agent or DIMIA to get meds done by an accredited medicITION

Get them done pay ya fee and they generally send them off for you, OR get them off the practice and DHL them yourself.

Some ppl go and get meds done UNREQUESTED but theres a time implication that can affect the scenario.

Steve
Old Aug 30th 2005, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Is your GP from MACKAY and on the run???

You are requested by Agent or DIMIA to get meds done by an accredited medicITION

Get them done pay ya fee and they generally send them off for you, OR get them off the practice and DHL them yourself.

Some ppl go and get meds done UNREQUESTED but theres a time implication that can affect the scenario.

Steve
Steve - I think you've misunderstood the question, which was about medical records not medicals.

As far as I know everyone is entitled to see their medical records and to take any information on them that they see fit. Practices can (and I think usually) charge for this though there is a maximum fee set for it.

Try a search for medical records - I'm sure it's been asked before.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 11:26 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic&Jon
Hi everyone

Is this correct??

many thanks

Nic
You are entitled to a copy of your medical records (i.e., GP records, dental records, optician's records etc). If you want a copy, just drop the practice manager a line and ask for them. The can charge you a "reasonable fee" for copying the records for you (some people have written on the forum here that they were charged £80).

So, before you fork over lots of dosh, ask yourself if you really need the records. They may come in useful if you have a chronic condition and are on regular medication. Also, if you've had children and plan on having more, your pre-/post-natal notes may come in useful. And if you have children, it's a good idea to get their immunisation records (some people have reported that the schools in Oz asked for them).

If none of the above applies to you, then probably no need to pay for a copy of your records. In Oz you don't register with a doctor - you can choose wherever you want to go.

Gina
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

our doctor gave us the edited version of our records - the sort he would take on a home visit - these cost us nothing - no one has asked for them yet tho

hth

pootle26