repossed help

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Beppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really nice
Default Re: repossed help

Originally Posted by Sandra
If they reposess the house and then sell it at a forced auction you could still be liable for the debt owing being the price difference between what they sell at and what you owe. And they will not care about the price they sell at really they want to get rid of the property not sort out your debt to your best advantage.

That may be an awful lot of hassle trying to sort that one out from Australia.

Please go and see someone to talk this through now. The people telling you to wait and ride it out are your friends. Citizens advice should have some leads about the best people to talk this through.

You do not know if Australia is going to be the answer for you and your family and like some people you may find the need to return to the uk. Don't burn bridges on your way out however desperate it may seem now.

I understand the frustration and the feeling that the solution is on the horizon in the form of emigration but you really will just take your problems with you in some form or other.

Wishing you the best of luck
I second this post.

You are far better selling your house yourself than letting the bank do it for you and then chasing you for the difference between the debt and the sale price.

Unfortunately, it isn't a simple case of handing back the keys and the matter is closed.

Investigate whether or not your local housing authority is willing to buy your house from you.

Good luck. The quicker and more decisively you act the better.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:17 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sonny & Lynne
Mmm an interesting, if pedantic observation,, but aren't most cars and TV's also bought on credit. just look at the panic that sets in when there is an interest rate rise!!

any asset, product or service is only worth what the market demands given the supply. that is not to say that you wont find it cheaper or that you will not pay over the odds! there are millions of distortions within any market.

within the context of the thread however JAJ's remark is spot on!
Yes, pedantic - guilty as charged.

But I stand by the comment: we *have* to have houses, and they cost far more than the cash most of us have as well as lasting many decades during which they are paid off.

Cars and TVs are discretionary items, cost far less and a loan is not virtually mandatory.

A large part of the current credit crisis is due to people not appreciating this difference.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Wol
Yes, pedantic - guilty as charged.

But I stand by the comment: we *have* to have houses, and they cost far more than the cash most of us have as well as lasting many decades during which they are paid off.

Cars and TVs are discretionary items, cost far less and a loan is not virtually mandatory.

A large part of the current credit crisis is due to people not appreciating this difference.
Some one said earlier that "At least if the bank get it they MUST sell it at market value" I am pretty sure this is not true.

I bought my first house as a reposession, the bank had took it from the previous owner and advertised it in the local estate agents. Houses in the are where going for around £32k at the time however I got this from the bank at £14750 as they wanted rid of it ASAP.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by philnorris
Some one said earlier that "At least if the bank get it they MUST sell it at market value" I am pretty sure this is not true.

I bought my first house as a reposession, the bank had took it from the previous owner and advertised it in the local estate agents. Houses in the are where going for around £32k at the time however I got this from the bank at £14750 as they wanted rid of it ASAP.
I don't think that they have to sell it at market value, they want to recover what they have lent and the costs they will have incurred. This might be less than the property's full value.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 9:57 am
Just Joined

leese2504 has a brilliant futureleese2504 has a brilliant futureleese2504 has a brilliant futureleese2504 has a brilliant futureleese2504 has a brilliant futureleese2504 has a brilliant future

Not sure where you are at with this, but could you not consider asking your mortgage lender for interest only until you sell your house? or maybe spreading your payments over a longer period?
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

Beppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really nice

Seem to recall that there is an agreed code of conduct that they must take reasonable steps to achieve the best price possible. However, “reasonable” is open to interpretation and can be as simple as advertising in an auction catalogue. They will sell it at whatever price someone is willing to pay for it on the day.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

RenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond reputeRenShen has a reputation beyond repute

To the op, is there any chance you could convert your mortgage to interest only and rent the house out until the market picks up? I agree with the other posters who suggest anything is better than reposession.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

It won’t affect your credit in Australia or being able to get a house in Australia.

But DONT DO IT, it will cause so many problems than it’s worth, what if it doesn’t work out in Oz and you have to go back? It will be full of so many problems for you.

Why not try rent it out while you are gone?

Mikey
Old Sep 4th 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really niceSonny & Lynne is just really nice

IT IS TRUE.
In laymans terms The mortgage conduct of business rules which came into effect in 2003/4 basically prohibits lenders from selling repossessions below the fair market value merley to recoup any capital loss and loss of interest.

On the one hand (when the market is depressed) this makes the lender more reluctant to repossess. On the other it increases the potential liabilities of the borrower because the borrower remains liable for the loan repayments until a 3rd party sale is agreed at afair market value.

The lender will try to exploit this. and who could blame them, they are in business to make money. However the raft of legislation and guidance that dictates what lenders should do in repossession cases in vast and genrally tries to protect the borrower in so far as is reasonably practicable.

Belive it or not lenders do not like to repossess (particularly when the market is depressed) If,,,,and its a big If,,,, the law and guidance is applied and adhered to properly its not that proffitable for them to repossess peoples homes.

Good legal advice on the matter will save a repossessee a good deal of unfair charges and penalties which the lender will try to collect. And if advice is sought early enough will often buy the potentail repossessee a considerable ammount of time to resolve the matter.

If a lender is forced down the repossession route they will attempt to levy as many charges and penalties as they can because repossesions cost them time and money. most of these charges and penalties are unfair and unenforcable in the eyes of the courts. Lenders rely on the fact that most people when in an untennable situation will belive everything that the lender tells them because most borroweres do not know how to get proper independent legal advice. Dont belive the lender. Get independant Legal Advice from a suitablly qualifed advisor.

To the OP i would say get qualified legal advice from as many sources as you possibly can, avoiding repossession is not that difficult if you act quickly with qualified assistance. And, Qualified assistance will save you a lot of money in unfair penalties and charges if the worst comes to the worst.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 4:58 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Could you validate your visas and then you will have another 4 years to enter Australia? (If on a PR visa).

Also see if you can change your mortgage to an 'interest only' mortgage.......may reduce your new payment in Jan to what you are paying now again. Usually free of charge and a simple form to fill in or done over the phone. Only downside is you will owe the full amount that is on your mortgage balance when you sell as you are not slowly decreasing it every month.

We are in a very similar position to yourselves........and are still waiting to sell after 15 months on the market

Beth x x
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:44 pm
Just Joined

rjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nice

My wife is an Australian with a large family in Oz and both our child are Australian Citizens by decent so they are all just waiting 4 me
and the thought of not seein my wife & kids each day is killin me

our mortgage is intrest only already and jumps to just under £1k a month :curse:

at this point we should be looking forward to the future , but with this hangin over our heads its becomin very stressful, and making myself snappy towards my family , but this isnt their fault

Decisions Decisions
Old Sep 4th 2008, 6:55 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rjt3
My wife is an Australian with a large family in Oz and both our child are Australian Citizens by decent so they are all just waiting 4 me

our mortgage is intrest only already and jumps to just under £1k a month :curse:

at this point we should be looking forward to the future , but with this hangin over our heads its becomin very stressful, and making myself snappy towards my family , but this isnt their fault

Decisions Decisions
pm'd you
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

rjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nicerjt3 is just really nice

ok cheers
Old Sep 4th 2008, 7:47 pm
Just Joined

Rachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura aboutRachel... has a spectacular aura about

Pm'in you

Last edited by Rachel...; Sep 4th 2008 at 7:54 pm.
Old Sep 5th 2008, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

tasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of lighttasmas is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rjt3

Decisions Decisions
We're in the same boat. Mortgage is already on interest only because we're trying to sell. I've been ill so am now on half pay. Mortgage company said they can let us pay half for 2 months but then we'd have to catch up the 2 months after that. What help is that?
Things are tight, we're on agreements with credit cards etc but if i lose my job then i think we'll just be posting the keys to mortgage company. Which is the last thing we want to do. But there's no buyers and we can only keep reducing the price in the hope that the right person comes along.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.