Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Repeat prescriptions?

Repeat prescriptions?

Old May 6th 2006, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute
Question Repeat prescriptions?

I do know it's the middle of the night in oz, but does anyone know if you can ring up doctors for repeat prescriptions, as i think there is a charge for every visit to see the doctor ( is that right? ) only with 3 of us with hayfever and 1 with eczema we'll be there all the time
Old May 6th 2006, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice
Default Re: Repeat prescriptions?

Originally Posted by curly
I do know it's the middle of the night in oz, but does anyone know if you can ring up doctors for repeat prescriptions, as i think there is a charge for every visit to see the doctor ( is that right? ) only with 3 of us with hayfever and 1 with eczema we'll be there all the time

Can only tell you what I've found out so far,as we've only been here 3 months My kids age 2 & 3 have been a few times,& the Doctors we use don't charge for appointments for under 5's. I went last week to register & get a blood test for a thyroid problem,the initial fee was $46,of which I can go to medicare & get $31 back. The blood tests were "bulk billed" so I didn't pay for that. I went back for the results & the receptionist was asking for another $46,when I querried it,she spoke to the Doctor who said it was ok to bulk bill that,so I didn't pay anything. I took the prescription to the chemist & it was $27 for 6 months of tablets,but the Doc had given me a repeat for after that,so she put it on their computer & said when I run out to go back in 6 months & get some more,but I will still have to pay another $27.
Hope this helps?
Old May 6th 2006, 11:46 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

In our case, once our GP got to know us (and after few pregnancies, deliveries, 6 yr old asthmatic, hubby astmatic, 4 yr old with a debilitating migraine he has got to know us really well), we can call the surgery no probs and get a repeat to be picked up later same day or following day. Our surgery says they would charge patients for that (I think it was $10 or near that) but in 7 years we've never been charged for that. Mind you, our GP is fantastic.
Old May 7th 2006, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

HeatherandTim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by curly

You will find that there are alot more drugs that you can buy over here than you can in the UK. When I was last back in England, twice I needed to get something from the chemist only to be told that I needed a script from the doctor. If it is medication that is only on prescription then usually when the Doctor knows you you can get one over the phone. My Doc charges $5. The cost of subsidised medication in NSW is $29.50 per item. Some things are not subsidised. If they are expensive (over $30) then you can claim them from your private health fund.
I work in pharmacy so if you have any more questions then just ask.
Old May 7th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Try and find a BULK BILLED DR, there must be one in your area somewhere. With Bulk Billing you pay no charges at all it is all charged direct to Medicare so makes things a lot easier. Our DR Bulk Bills everyone so we don't pay at all.

Yes they do repeat Scripts as they are called here. Hubby usually gets a prescription with 2 repeats on it when he goes to the DR. They give you a card with the reapeats on it and you just go back to the chemist when needed.

Medicines are quite expensive here and not everything is on the PBS - the pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme. If drugs are not on it you have to pay the actual price. However the DR will try and offer you a drug on the scheme if possible.
Old Jul 4th 2006, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

sharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the roughsharon45 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
You will find that there are alot more drugs that you can buy over here than you can in the UK. When I was last back in England, twice I needed to get something from the chemist only to be told that I needed a script from the doctor. If it is medication that is only on prescription then usually when the Doctor knows you you can get one over the phone. My Doc charges $5. The cost of subsidised medication in NSW is $29.50 per item. Some things are not subsidised. If they are expensive (over $30) then you can claim them from your private health fund.
I work in pharmacy so if you have any more questions then just ask.
I am on thyroxine as you know its for life i want to know what sort of charge ther be for this . is there any pre payment schemes etc