British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Repeat prescriptions? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/repeat-prescriptions-371904/)

curly May 6th 2006 4:20 pm

Repeat prescriptions?

I do know it's the middle of the night in oz, but does anyone know if you can ring up doctors for repeat prescriptions, as i think there is a charge for every visit to see the doctor ( is that right? ) only with 3 of us with hayfever and 1 with eczema we'll be there all the time :(

woogle May 6th 2006 10:12 pm

Re: Repeat prescriptions?

Originally Posted by curly
I do know it's the middle of the night in oz, but does anyone know if you can ring up doctors for repeat prescriptions, as i think there is a charge for every visit to see the doctor ( is that right? ) only with 3 of us with hayfever and 1 with eczema we'll be there all the time :(

Can only tell you what I've found out so far,as we've only been here 3 months :) My kids age 2 & 3 have been a few times,& the Doctors we use don't charge for appointments for under 5's. I went last week to register & get a blood test for a thyroid problem,the initial fee was $46,of which I can go to medicare & get $31 back. The blood tests were "bulk billed" so I didn't pay for that. I went back for the results & the receptionist was asking for another $46,when I querried it,she spoke to the Doctor who said it was ok to bulk bill that,so I didn't pay anything. I took the prescription to the chemist & it was $27 for 6 months of tablets,but the Doc had given me a repeat for after that,so she put it on their computer & said when I run out to go back in 6 months & get some more,but I will still have to pay another $27.
Hope this helps?

teza May 6th 2006 10:46 pm

In our case, once our GP got to know us (and after few pregnancies, deliveries, 6 yr old asthmatic, hubby astmatic, 4 yr old with a debilitating migraine he has got to know us really well), we can call the surgery no probs and get a repeat to be picked up later same day or following day. Our surgery says they would charge patients for that (I think it was $10 or near that) but in 7 years we've never been charged for that. Mind you, our GP is fantastic.

HeatherandTim May 6th 2006 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by curly

You will find that there are alot more drugs that you can buy over here than you can in the UK. When I was last back in England, twice I needed to get something from the chemist only to be told that I needed a script from the doctor. If it is medication that is only on prescription then usually when the Doctor knows you you can get one over the phone. My Doc charges $5. The cost of subsidised medication in NSW is $29.50 per item. Some things are not subsidised. If they are expensive (over $30) then you can claim them from your private health fund.
I work in pharmacy so if you have any more questions then just ask.

tinaj May 6th 2006 11:33 pm

Try and find a BULK BILLED DR, there must be one in your area somewhere. With Bulk Billing you pay no charges at all it is all charged direct to Medicare so makes things a lot easier. Our DR Bulk Bills everyone so we don't pay at all. :) :)

Yes they do repeat Scripts as they are called here. Hubby usually gets a prescription with 2 repeats on it when he goes to the DR. They give you a card with the reapeats on it and you just go back to the chemist when needed.

Medicines are quite expensive here and not everything is on the PBS - the pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme. If drugs are not on it you have to pay the actual price. However the DR will try and offer you a drug on the scheme if possible.

sharon45 Jul 4th 2006 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by HeatherandTim
You will find that there are alot more drugs that you can buy over here than you can in the UK. When I was last back in England, twice I needed to get something from the chemist only to be told that I needed a script from the doctor. If it is medication that is only on prescription then usually when the Doctor knows you you can get one over the phone. My Doc charges $5. The cost of subsidised medication in NSW is $29.50 per item. Some things are not subsidised. If they are expensive (over $30) then you can claim them from your private health fund.
I work in pharmacy so if you have any more questions then just ask.

I am on thyroxine as you know its for life i want to know what sort of charge ther be for this . is there any pre payment schemes etc