Reload this Page >

Renting without agent?

Renting without agent?

Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:51 am
Just Joined

kiky_tan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting without agent?

Hi all,
We are currently renting a house in Melbourne. We got this house by using an estate agent. One day, the landlord came to our place and offered us, saying that if we'd like to continue renting their house after our 12 month lease ends, they preferred not to use the agent anymore.... they said they could give us a better price and "both sides will be happier"....

Can anyone give us an advice on this? Anyone experienced this before / renting a house without using any agents?
We do want to continue renting this place...

Thanks in advance

Cheers,
Kiky
Old Nov 15th 2005, 10:55 am
Life is good

claire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to allclaire edwards is a name known to all
Default Re: Renting without agent?

Did you not sign a contract with the agent? I would look into this if I were you, I doubt it is as straight forward as the owners are letting on.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to beholdJensen Healey is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by claire edwards
Did you not sign a contract with the agent? I would look into this if I were you, I doubt it is as straight forward as the owners are letting on.
Don't know about in Oz, but in the UK any contract has to be demonstrably "fair". I'd think a contract for this sort of thing going over more than 12 months might be seen as a restrictive practice. As you say though - check the small print.

Also, if you do go without the agent, make sure any contract you sign direct with the owners is kosher...
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Phil-UK will become famous soon enough

They are probably paying a management fee to the agent which is usually around 10 - 12% of the rental income and are keen to do away with that, hence the better price for you and them. Probably split the difference half each or something.

Not sure about Oz but in the UK regardless of using an agent or not the landlord will still have legal responsibilities to you as the tenant.

You can get a new lease drawn up (or the landlord will) and make it all kosha. I wouldn't worry too much about it, after all, if something needs fixing and they don't respond just withhold rent until it's sorted.

At the end of the day this will unlikely happen as the landlord wants a trouble free tenant as much as you want a trouble free landlord.

Phil
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Quokka will become famous soon enoughQuokka will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kiky_tan
Hi all,
Can anyone give us an advice on this? Anyone experienced this before / renting a house without using any agents?
Kiky
Yes, I've done this in WA. Don't think you can lose as a tennant.
One thing to be careful of is the bond. In WA this has to put into a trust account, so that it can only be released by both parties.
Old Nov 16th 2005, 9:16 am
Just Joined

kiky_tan is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys, for all the replies

Yes Claire, we did sign a contract with the agent.
We also paid the bond, which is put into RTBA's account (government's).

Well, I think we shall reply to the landlord that we'll accept their offer then
Most probably the landlord will be the one who come out with a new lease drawn up.
BTW, our friend suggested we should have our own solicitor to read the new contract. Do you guys think it's necessary?

Thanks again...

rgds,
kiky