Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Sydney

Renting in Sydney

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 9:16 am
Sydneysider & loving it!!

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb Renting in Sydney

Hi All!

My girlfriend and I are moving out to Sydney on the 1st of June and were wondering...to rent an apartment, you normally need 2 references. Given that we probably won't have started work straight away, can you tell me if there is a way round this? E.g. can we bring UK references?

We are planning to spend the first couple of weeks in a serviced apartment, but given the cost, would like to find our own place ASAP.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:39 am
Merlot

Default Re: Renting in Sydney

Originally Posted by molloymj
Hi All!

My girlfriend and I are moving out to Sydney on the 1st of June and were wondering...to rent an apartment, you normally need 2 references. Given that we probably won't have started work straight away, can you tell me if there is a way round this? E.g. can we bring UK references?

We are planning to spend the first couple of weeks in a serviced apartment, but given the cost, would like to find our own place ASAP.

Thanks in advance.
Do a trawl on the net for Sydney Real Estate Agencies, it is possible with references from the UK.

Some agencies may charge you a bond of up to 6 months rent in advance - just depends. I'd e-mail them now for their advice.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

Hi All!

Thanks in advance.
Hi

We have been renting in Coogee for 2 months now. We applied for 2 apartments and got offered both. Basically we gave them as much info as poss. English bank statements, details of sale of property in UK, copy of passport and a covering letter regarding intentions of employment with an estimation of how much my husband thought he would be earning. The 1st agent said 'oh my god you didn't need to give us all that' and the 2nd said 'if only everyone was as thorough as you'.

Ange
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

Swaffy will become famous soon enoughSwaffy will become famous soon enough

We also offered to pay a few months rent in advance. But they weren't that bothered
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 12:32 pm
India-M'chester-Syd('05)

base_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant futurebase_sydney has a brilliant future

We called agencies in sydney and they said UK rental references would be good enough.

Last edited by base_sydney; Jan 23rd 2005 at 12:35 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 6:24 pm

molloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the roughmolloymj is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Renting in Sydney

BRILLIANT - THANKS ALL!!

I only found this forum yesterday and am already addicted.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 7:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All!

Thanks in advance.
And you should be able to negotiate the rent downwards. I've had no rent rise in the 2 years I have been here despite the press saying rents are on the up.
Old Jan 25th 2005, 7:07 am

Smile Re: Renting in Sydney

Originally Posted by bondipom
And you should be able to negotiate the rent downwards. I've had no rent rise in the 2 years I have been here despite the press saying rents are on the up.
This just gets better! Cheers Bondipom!