Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renting with pets?

renting with pets?

Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:54 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renting with pets?

Just how easy is it to secure a rental with a dog? I will be looking sometime very soon, probably Brisbane Northside. It just dawned on me the other day

Alternatively, any good recipes I could use her for?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:58 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renting with pets?

When we rented orginally we didnt have a dog, we applied to the landlord for permission to get a dog, and as we were proba thought to be good tennents by then so it wasnt a problem for him to say yes, then rent kept increasing and we were forced to looked for anothe rental , with a dog in tow, it was a bloomin nightmare, i have lied through my teeth to get the rental we are in now with our little, quiet friendly dog! wont go into the details , but seems to me landlords and estate agents would rather rent to ANYONE exept people with dogs!

Am just hoping if we pay the rent on time and keep the bloody cream carpets clean (the dog is so small he leaves no marks on them, its us who make the marks!), then the dog will be overlooked or i could be out on my ear next month!

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 4th 2010 at 4:00 am.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Margaret3
When we rented orginally we didnt have a dog, then rent kept increasing and we looked for anothe rental , with a dog in tow, it was a bloomin nightmare, i have lied through my teeth to get the rental we are in now with our little, quiet friendly dog! wont go into the details , but seems to me landlords and estate agents would rather rent to ANYONE exept people with dogs!
Bollocks, kind of thought that! I will just have to lie then!!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:01 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

You'd find it easier to rent with a child murderer than with a dog I suspect.

My landlord accepts dogs. But then they were friends before landlords and are also dog-owners.

So good luck with that...
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jayr
You'd find it easier to rent with a child murderer than with a dog I suspect.

My landlord accepts dogs. But then they were friends before landlords and are also dog-owners.

So good luck with that...

lol, agree 100%
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:06 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Cant you say its a service dog because of your health.So if you take a funny turn he barks and alerts the neighbours.Mind you with your luck lately you could have the noise police on your doorstep.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
Bollocks, kind of thought that! I will just have to lie then!!
kporte try not to lie, i did and regretted it, started worrying a neighbour or someone would dob me in, so i went cap in hand to the estate agent before we moved in and came up with some cock'n'bull story, tuns out it was just as well i did, coz i neighbour did dob us in for (a) the dog, (b), claiming we left oil stains on the road (c) they didnt like the way we put our bin out, said the top was slightly ajar at times (d) claimed our visitors were driving dagerously (e), parking is tight and when i arrive home if someone had parked in our drive way , i parked on the visitors bays, some neighbour complained about this! Its a townhouse we live in , we are all squashed together!

I was so upset by this i asked the estate agent if we could break the rental agreement and move somewhere else, but i would lose out on quite a bit of money and i cand afford to do this. I retaliated with a letter back to 'these so-called neighbours', then got a half apology saying it wasnt just me.............yeah right!

If you breech your rental agreement in anyway (including a dog), i think you then get 14 days to vacate the premisis,

To be fair to estate agents on the whole i have found them fair and sympathetic, hope am still saying this in nxt month, lol!

Last edited by Margaret3; Mar 4th 2010 at 4:11 am.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by irishbloo
Cant you say its a service dog because of your health.So if you take a funny turn he barks and alerts the neighbours.Mind you with your luck lately you could have the noise police on your doorstep.
She's a Chihuahua, I can smuggle her in and out in my pocket!
I'll just buy a camper van or something, this will be just tedious i can see
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Margaret3
kporte try not to lie, i did and regretted it, started worrying a neighbour or someone would dob me in, so i went cap in hand to the estate agent before we moved in and came up with some cock'n'bull story, tuns out it was just as well i did, coz i neighbour did dob us in for (a) the dog, (b), claiming we left oil stains on the road (c) they didnt like the way we put our bin out, said the top was slightly ajar at times (d) claimed our visitors were driving dagerously (e), parking is tight and when i arrive home if someone had parked in our drive way , i parked on the visitors bays, some neighbour complained about this! Its a townhouse we live in , we are all squashed together!

If you breech your rental agreement in anyway (including a dog), i think you then get 14 days to vacate the premisis,

To be fair to estate agents on the whole i have found them fair and sympathetic, hope am still saying this in nxt month, lol!
Och, I'm a hopeless liar anyway. Thinking cap time eh?
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:15 am
Account Closed

Och, I'm a hopeless liar anyway. Thinking cap time eh?
goodluck, when applying write on a seperate bit of paper about the pet saying, that he is friendly , quiet, you will incur any damage he may cause (say you are confident to say this as you know he wont damage anything), offer a bit more on the bond front because of dog! and anything else you can think of!
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:17 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Put an anti-bark collar on so it doesn't upset the neighbours and they might not even know it is there.

Rentals here have regular inspections (6 monthly?) but they let you know some time in advance. Just remove all dog-evidence when an inspection is due.

On moving out you also have to prove the carpets have been cleaned professionsally so dog-hair and smell should not be an issue then.

Not that I'm encouraging you to lie. Just not to tell the truth.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

chelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to allchelly77 is a name known to all

We have just moved to Putney (Sydney area) with our little dog and had no problem finding a house that he was welcom in.

Mind you finding a house we liked was a challenge as the first couple were no more that sheads which were dirty and really needed to be knocked down!

Most landlords seem to be ok with pets but then we only looked at houses.

Hope this helps
Old Mar 4th 2010, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

We rented our house with a dog. They said 'pets on application' so I applied for it. The only thing they told us was that the dog was to remain outside at all times...don't know how that will work when my dog is an indoor one (we lived in Canada where she was used to being inside).
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

We have a Yorkshire terrier in our rental. When we applied we told the estate agent that he was 100% house trained, told him the breed (i.e small) and we would pay for any damage caused (as we knew there wouldn't be any)

The agent was pretty hot with inspections to begin with but then eased off when he saw that we looked after the house.

I'd say be truthful.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 6:30 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

She's a Chihuahua, I can smuggle her in and out in my pocket!
I'll just buy a camper van or something, this will be just tedious i can see
I'll pick you one out when I go and buy mine if ya like!

Em x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.