Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting In Melbourne- a cautionary tale

Renting In Melbourne- a cautionary tale

Old Dec 26th 2004, 8:56 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting In Melbourne- a cautionary tale

I was advised recently of a issue I think any renter should be aware of.
When a property becomes available, the keys to the property are available at the real estate companies .
SOME people with social problems take these keys , copy them and then live at the flat/house for a while , usually arriving at night and leaving early .Candles and tin foil are the furniture.
So along you come and secure your rental property, move in and leave all your worldly goods in it .
It has been known for those socially challenged ,to return, use your key and remove your stuff.
So, when you secure that rental property, go to A DIY shop and buy a new lock and install it .When you leave you can replace the old lock and take your new one with you if you wish.
That's Life, That's Melbourne .Happy New Year !
Old Dec 26th 2004, 8:57 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting In Melbourne- a cautionary tale

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
When a property becomes available, the keys to the property are available at the real estate companies .
SOME people with social problems take these keys , copy them and then live at the flat/house for a while , usually arriving at night and leaving early .Candles and tin foil are the furniture.
So along you come and secure your rental property, move in and leave all your worldly goods in it .
It has been known for those socially challenged ,to return, use your key and remove your stuff.
So, when you secure that rental property, go to A DIY shop and buy a new lock and install it .When you leave you can replace the old lock and take your new one with you if you wish.
Thanks, thats cheered me up no end!
Old Dec 27th 2004, 1:00 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Originally Posted by melbournehelp
Whenever we have viewed a property the keys have been fixed to the door handle with a secure lock or the keys have been locked up at the agents. And more than likely the agents take you thru the property themselves to inspect. Cannot speak for all of them but the ones we have used take these measures and even viewing open for inspections you will be asked for ID and this would be noted down at the door before you step foot inside..

I think this problem would be few and far between and i wouldnt worry about this at all..
Old Dec 27th 2004, 3:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Im sure australia doesnt have socially challenged people does it

Seriously as a landlord/person whatever we are allowed to call it now, I can tell you one thing, the house we rent out is 15 years old, its always been rented out so has had dozens of lots of tenants, because of its location, (near a pub) it often has had young single tenants who come and go, say we let to 2 girls there may end up being three girls and 3 boyfriends with a key. As you can imagine this means hundreds of people over the years have had the opportunity to cut keys. We do not pay to change the locks, the back door lock is the very one the house had when it was built the front door has been changed after being busted in a burglary but when I dont know. Myself if renting I would be asking about new keys/locks for sure.
Old Dec 28th 2004, 9:22 pm
making your move easier

melbournehelp is an unknown quantity at this point

I have run many property viewing days for people and have yet to encounter more than a handful of agents who have the time and manpower or motivation to meet you there.
This isn't meant to be a doom and gloom post, just something you should be aware of as I would hate for you to lose your posessions.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Im sure australia doesnt have socially challenged people does it

Seriously as a landlord/person whatever we are allowed to call it now, I can tell you one thing, the house we rent out is 15 years old, its always been rented out so has had dozens of lots of tenants, because of its location, (near a pub) it often has had young single tenants who come and go, say we let to 2 girls there may end up being three girls and 3 boyfriends with a key. As you can imagine this means hundreds of people over the years have had the opportunity to cut keys. We do not pay to change the locks, the back door lock is the very one the house had when it was built the front door has been changed after being busted in a burglary but when I dont know. Myself if renting I would be asking about new keys/locks for sure.