Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Melbourne

Renting in Melbourne

Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Melbourne

Originally Posted by paulry
We just need to get past the ingrained "need" to own our home. Oh and not have too much clutter so that we can move easily when circumstances and requirements dictate. Another big plus is not having to pay the massive EA, legal and stamp duty fees every time we move.

And blue half size baths!

I'm not sure I'd be so keen on the idea of staying with renting if I didn't own a property in the UK.

Which reminds me, don't forget to get landlord insurance on your UK house before you leave. I'm so glad we did because 6 months after we left our tenants had a pan fire that destroyed the kitchen. It cost over 30,000 pounds to replace.
Yeah, I think it is ingrained in us Brits to own our own home,
It's very easy though to get absorbed into wanting things that people perceive as necessities, when in actual fact they aren't really that necessary. Like owning our own house, owning a top of the range car, etc..We might all want to own them but we don't really need to own them, do we. I think we've become an obsessive society with regards to these things.

As I speak I'm sitting here in an empty house, furniture all gone, and you know what, it feels great! I am most certainly going for the de-clutter minimalist look in Oz.

sorry to hear about the pan fire! Not a great start for you....

Yep OH has sorted the insurance out etc. we will have a family member looking after our pad for us too, so that's helped relieve the stress a bit. Just a bit mind.....
Old Jul 16th 2014, 9:39 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Yeah, I think it is ingrained in us Brits to own our own home,
It's very easy though to get absorbed into wanting things that people perceive as necessities, when in actual fact they aren't really that necessary. Like owning our own house, owning a top of the range car, etc..We might all want to own them but we don't really need to own them, do we. I think we've become an obsessive society with regards to these things.

As I speak I'm sitting here in an empty house, furniture all gone, and you know what, it feels great! I am most certainly going for the de-clutter minimalist look in Oz.

sorry to hear about the pan fire! Not a great start for you....

Yep OH has sorted the insurance out etc. we will have a family member looking after our pad for us too, so that's helped relieve the stress a bit. Just a bit mind.....
That's a good point you made about our obsession to own our home. We tend to follow the herd - even when closer examination reveals that it's a folly. I think the renting lifestyle is probably easiest if we try to be minimalist (clutter free). ...I know, its easier said than done especially when we have kids/teenagers in the house.

It was a stress with the burnt out kitchen - especially since the insurers tried to wriggle out of their obligations. The lucky break I had back then was the letting agent who was fabulous. She helped me with taking photos and being my representative on the ground, supporting my arguments with the insurers. Then, when the insurers finally accepted liabilities she project managed, making sure everything was done properly and dealt with all the paperwork, etc that side. An absolute heroine

Go on, hoover your clutter free carpets of your empty house one more time, you know you want to!
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:27 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Molly, Some of the contents of this thread might be useful to you about now
Old Sep 4th 2014, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Hey Molly, Some of the contents of this thread might be useful to you about now

I've had a re-cap of this thread, cheers!

Been to look at a couple more houses today, there's a big, big difference style wise here in the Melbourne berbs. A real mix of houses and prices.

It's crazy that the people who are interested all go for the same 15 minute viewing slot. There were 10 family's viewing all at the same time in one of the houses and we were the only British family, which surprised me slightly, I thought that they might be a few more poms. I haven't met any other Brits yet, at all, anywhere here. Where as when we were up in Queensland they were ten a penny.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Been to look at a couple more houses today, there's a big, big difference style wise here in the Melbourne berbs. A real mix of houses and prices.

It's crazy that the people who are interested all go for the same 15 minute viewing slot. There were 10 family's viewing all at the same time in one of the houses and we were the only British family, which surprised me slightly, I thought that they might be a few more poms. I haven't met any other Brits yet, at all, anywhere here. Where as when we were up in Queensland they were ten a penny.
Where are you looking? Plenty in Bayside area - Hampton, sandringham and Beaumaris
Old Sep 4th 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hebe
Where are you looking? Plenty in Bayside area - Hampton, sandringham and Beaumaris
Thanks, I'll have a look.

So far we have done Williamstown, South Frankston, Altona and Brighton.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I can go for months and months without hearing a UK accent out and about in Coburg, there are plenty around, but much more thinly spread than lots of other places. I kind of enjoy the fact that I've got an out of the ordinary accent for these parts. People definitely seem to like it for the most part, I still get postive comments after all of these years.
Old Sep 4th 2014, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I can go for months and months without hearing a UK accent out and about in Coburg, there are plenty around, but much more thinly spread than lots of other places. I kind of enjoy the fact that I've got an out of the ordinary accent for these parts. People definitely seem to like it for the most part, I still get postive comments after all of these years.
I don't mind at all that there isn't any Brits, I just expected there to be for some reason.

I tell you what I do like, people can understand my accent here just fine where up North they struggled and I was constantly trying to speak 'proper' English so they could understand me, husbands noticed this too. I can speak 'reet' broad Northern and they know what I'm talking about. It's like being at home. It's great!
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, I'll have a look.

So far we have done Williamstown, South Frankston, Altona and Brighton.
Wow that's a large catchment area! I would now suggest you narrow that down considerably otherwise you will find it difficult to make a choice on rental as the areas you state vary considerably. Your budget will also determine the area
Old Sep 4th 2014, 9:55 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Renting in Melbourne

It's crazy that the people who are interested all go for the same 15 minute viewing slot. There were 10 family's viewing all at the same time in one of the houses
Hi Molly

Don't worry about the competition. I'm a landlord of a few properties, and believe me we are as concerned about getting a tenant who will pay the rent on time and look after the place as you are about getting a decent house.

Normally I find if 10 lots of people turn up to an inspection, I get one application. The others are neighbours, tyre kickers, and people whose rental history is very poor and who go to lots of open houses hoping they will find a property manager who will overlook this.

BB
Old Sep 5th 2014, 8:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Molly

Don't worry about the competition. I'm a landlord of a few properties, and believe me we are as concerned about getting a tenant who will pay the rent on time and look after the place as you are about getting a decent house.

Normally I find if 10 lots of people turn up to an inspection, I get one application. The others are neighbours, tyre kickers, and people whose rental history is very poor and who go to lots of open houses hoping they will find a property manager who will overlook this.

BB
Well said
Old Sep 7th 2014, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hebe
Wow that's a large catchment area! I would now suggest you narrow that down considerably otherwise you will find it difficult to make a choice on rental as the areas you state vary considerably. Your budget will also determine the area

Yeah, you are right, we have been doing some serious miles, driving here there and everywhere and like you said it's been difficult making a choice. So today we have decided today that we want to be close to a beach and the city, so that has helped pin point just a few areas that we can afford. Hopefully now we will be able to move forward quickly.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Molly

BB
That's good to know. Cheers BB.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

We got offered a house we applied for today. We have to go in the office tomorrow to sign up. We have just read the small print on the email and they want us to sign up for two years. Is this standard practice in Oz? It seems like a big commitment.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:23 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

We got offered a house we applied for today. We have to go in the office tomorrow to sign up. We have just read the small print on the email and they want us to sign up for two years. Is this standard practice in Oz? It seems like a big commitment.
I don't think 2 years is normal at all.
Old Sep 8th 2014, 10:59 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Normal is 1 year. Not heard of 2 ever.

I would ask if you can just sign for 1.

Which suburb is the house in?

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.