Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Melbourne

Renting in Melbourne

Old Jun 2nd 2014, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Melbourne

Originally Posted by knav2013
Don't go with the the websites where they are 'brokers' to the place where you are looking to stay at. They often have good marketing, 'flashy' websites.

Go for sites that have good reviews, and I am not talking about sites that have posted what some of their own customers say.
Thanks for that knav.
Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi Molly - I've sent you a quick PM - hope you get it okay

Just got it. Thank you.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Don't go with the the websites where they are 'brokers' to the place where you are looking to stay at. They often have good marketing, 'flashy' websites.

Go for sites that have good reviews, and I am not talking about sites that have posted what some of their own customers say.
I honestly don't know what means. I thought people mainly used domain.com.au or real estate.com.au. Is that who you mean? Who are you recommending instead?
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 9:01 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

I think they mean settlement brokers (or whatever they're known as). Companies that hold new migrants hands - providing advice and assistance with things like selecting properties to buy/rent, enrolling their kids in schools, the purchasing of cars, yadda yadda.
Old Jun 3rd 2014, 1:19 am
what's not to like about

knav2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I honestly don't know what means. I thought people mainly used domain.com.au or real estate.com.au. Is that who you mean? Who are you recommending instead?
Not used domain.com.au or realestate.com.au, but I was recommended one of these by a trusted source. I reckon these are more for non-furnished properties.

I am talking about the websites that do package "deals". Something like what Pauly is saying. If you are not aware of domain.com.au or realestate.com.au, or are looking for a furnished apartment, where you just need a suitecase to "move-in", you can easily get tempted into a package "deal".
Old Jun 4th 2014, 12:33 am
what's not to like about

Originally Posted by paulry
I think they mean settlement brokers (or whatever they're known as). Companies that hold new migrants hands - providing advice and assistance with things like selecting properties to buy/rent, enrolling their kids in schools, the purchasing of cars, yadda yadda.
Are you sure these "settlement brokers" (or whoever we cannot seem to come-up with a definite name for) only "cast the net", so to speak, for migrants.

I think some offer properties for a minimum of seven nights, a non-migrant could also book if they were attending a conference, training program, on business....If only there was a rating scheme for these "settlement brokers" or there were more reviews done by the likes of choice.com.au. Choice.com.au does offer reviews on holiday home rentals. But have to jump through some hoops to get to them..I mean, you click, on 'Travel' ---> 'general travel' ---> 'airline travel' ---> 'hotel booking sites and other options', and you then get 'top tips'.

There you get more options, 'hotel booking' sites, 'house swapping', (it is 'house' not wife/husband), 'holiday letting'...and so on..

didn't know these settlement brokers (or similar, whatever they are called) also handled enrolling children at schools, advice on buying cars. Is that all together?, or do they just do enrolling children at school or the buying cars.

From what I can make out, domain.com.au gives you the properties with the estate agent (realtor) name, contact details, so you are dealing with the estate agent (realtor). The websites I said dont usually deal with estate agents, they are more holiday/business rentals.
Old Jun 4th 2014, 10:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure these "settlement brokers" (or whoever we cannot seem to come-up with a definite name for) only "cast the net", so to speak, for migrants.

I think some offer properties for a minimum of seven nights, a non-migrant could also book if they were attending a conference, training program, on business....If only there was a rating scheme for these "settlement brokers" or there were more reviews done by the likes of choice.com.au. Choice.com.au does offer reviews on holiday home rentals. But have to jump through some hoops to get to them..I mean, you click, on 'Travel' ---> 'general travel' ---> 'airline travel' ---> 'hotel booking sites and other options', and you then get 'top tips'.

There you get more options, 'hotel booking' sites, 'house swapping', (it is 'house' not wife/husband), 'holiday letting'...and so on..

didn't know these settlement brokers (or similar, whatever they are called) also handled enrolling children at schools, advice on buying cars. Is that all together?, or do they just do enrolling children at school or the buying cars.

From what I can make out, domain.com.au gives you the properties with the estate agent (realtor) name, contact details, so you are dealing with the estate agent (realtor). The websites I said dont usually deal with estate agents, they are more holiday/business rentals.
Do you mean like HomeAway, Stayz or Airbnb?
Old Jun 5th 2014, 12:22 am
what's not to like about

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Do you mean like HomeAway, Stayz or Airbnb?
Similar to those..although personally not booked through the ones you say. Interesting that with stayz, once you search for places to stay, you can book activities and car hire also. One of the service providers I booked with, the website is actually identical to stayz. You cant hire a car though, just links to car hire and dating websites.

The other service provider I used, you can book a car rental and purchase travel insurance. Also, you are able to book a chauffeur driven limousine to pick you up from the airport. Dont really know what these services are like. I only booked a studio apartment through these chaps.

Anyway, not naming any names. I can rate them but cannot recommend.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

For short term accommodation I've been looking at Airbnb and whilst we are in our short term accommodation we will check properties out with the local estate agents, I think that is going to be the best way.
Old Jun 5th 2014, 4:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

There was a woman several years ago on "wanted down under" who ran a business as a "settlement broker" (or whatever they were called) - she was somewhere on the QLD coast if I remember correctly. But that was in the days when cashed up poms were arriving here thick and fast. Most arrive on a tight budget these days.

But to be honest, doing it yourself is half the fun and challenge.
Old Jun 6th 2014, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Topical article on creative renting in Melbourne:

http://theage.domain.com.au/real-est...606-39ncj.html
Old Jun 7th 2014, 3:38 am
what's not to like about

There was a woman several years ago on "wanted down under" who ran a business as a "settlement broker" (or whatever they were called) - she was somewhere on the QLD coast if I remember correctly. But that was in the days when cashed up poms were arriving here thick and fast. Most arrive on a tight budget these days.

But to be honest, doing it yourself is half the fun and challenge.
You get more smileys on here than facebook. ...I'm impressed.

"But that was in the days when cashed up poms were arriving here thick and fast. Most arrive on a tight budget these days."

also works the other way..you got entrepreneurs like Richard Farleigh, who made it big in Britain in the 90's beginning of the 2000's, used to appeared on the Brit Dragon's Den. (I think this program is common to both Aussies and Poms..Aussies have their own version). I reckon he was one of the best dragon's.

Someones gonno have to do really well to pull the wool over his eyes.
Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:49 am
Banned

An interesting and thought provoking article. These days buying your own home means you are signing up to a life of debt slavery - especially in Australia.

The RBA says you're probably better off renting
Old Jul 15th 2014, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting and thought provoking article. These days buying your own home means you are signing up to a life of debt slavery - especially in Australia.

I fully agree, I probably pay 1/2 what I'd be paying for a mortgage in the property I'm in. I'd also rather have the lifestyle and freedom that comes with that. (Bunnings, DIY, gardening etc give me chills)
Old Jul 15th 2014, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Interesting article.

I can't ever see us buying in Australia, I don't think we will be there forever but who knows. Never say never.

The only thing that will really annoy me about renting is not being able to have the house how I would like it regarding colour scheme etc.
I suppose I will just have to shut up and put up or try and find a house that's to my taste. Which unfortunately reminds me, If I come across another yellow kitchen on the Ozzie rental site............:Argghhhhh! I've never seen so many yellow kitchens in one place!
Old Jul 15th 2014, 8:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by sr71
I fully agree, I probably pay 1/2 what I'd be paying for a mortgage in the property I'm in. I'd also rather have the lifestyle and freedom that comes with that. (Bunnings, DIY, gardening etc give me chills)
We just need to get past the ingrained "need" to own our home. Oh and not have too much clutter so that we can move easily when circumstances and requirements dictate. Another big plus is not having to pay the massive EA, legal and stamp duty fees every time we move.

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Interesting article.

I can't ever see us buying in Australia, I don't think we will be there forever but who knows. Never say never.

The only thing that will really annoy me about renting is not being able to have the house how I would like it regarding colour scheme etc.
I suppose I will just have to shut up and put up or try and find a house that's to my taste. Which unfortunately reminds me, If I come across another yellow kitchen on the Ozzie rental site............:Argghhhhh! I've never seen so many yellow kitchens in one place!
And blue half size baths!

I'm not sure I'd be so keen on the idea of staying with renting if I didn't own a property in the UK.

Which reminds me, don't forget to get landlord insurance on your UK house before you leave. I'm so glad we did because 6 months after we left our tenants had a pan fire that destroyed the kitchen. It cost over 30,000 pounds to replace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.