Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Melbourne

Renting in Melbourne

Old May 26th 2014, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
Thanks.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit worried. We are cutting it short time wise, to find a house, secure it and move in. The pressure will be on.

Can I ask, did you time it so your belongings arrived roughly about the time you got the house?
Because we left in a real hurry (we only had 3 weeks notice that we were actually moving) we literally had the packers there on the day we were flying out (we dropped off the keys to the landlord on the way to the airport!) So that meant that the stuff didn't get here til quite a long time after we got there.
Try not to stress though - as others have said just plan to camp out for a bit - we got an inflatable bed, picnic plates etc and outdoor loungers, sofa bed that kind of stuff, hopefully you can use the stuff you buy for 'real' camping afterwards
If the stuff gets there before you do get somewhere then the removalists will be able to store it for you.
Old May 26th 2014, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Because we left in a real hurry (we only had 3 weeks notice that we were actually moving) we literally had the packers there on the day we were flying out (we dropped off the keys to the landlord on the way to the airport!) So that meant that the stuff didn't get here til quite a long time after we got there.
Try not to stress though - as others have said just plan to camp out for a bit - we got an inflatable bed, picnic plates etc and outdoor loungers, sofa bed that kind of stuff, hopefully you can use the stuff you buy for 'real' camping afterwards
If the stuff gets there before you do get somewhere then the removalists will be able to store it for you.

That's great! Thanks very much!

Are you liking it over there?
Old May 26th 2014, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Please could anyone tell me what the journey is like from Mornington to the CBD?

Is it a pain in the ass?

Can you get there by train or do you have to go by car?

And how long does it take roughly, that's to anyone who does it.

Thanks.
Old May 26th 2014, 9:11 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for all that info Paul, I did initially ring just one shipping company up, Crown, they are coming to see us early June. I tried to ring John Masons up today but no answer as it's bank holiday. ( I forgot )

By the way, can you remember a few months ago when I was just taking a Move Cube with my paintings and bikes in?
It's a good job I'm not moving near you, I'd have you all round helping me unpack!

Well B, I'm hoping to do my indoor camping at this side of the journey. At least that way, if I need anything I can just nip to my mums, because they certainly won't be any nipping to my mothers in Melbourne.
A movecube would have just been too easy

Allied Pickfords is another you could try. And the one with a name like an Aussie supermarket too - provided you're willing to watch their sticky-fingered packers like hawks
Old May 26th 2014, 9:57 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Renting in Melbourne

Please could anyone tell me what the journey is like from Mornington to the CBD?

Is it a pain in the ass?

Thanks.
In rush hour it would be over 90 mins door to door - I did this for a few weeks when we first moved and it definitely prompted our long term settling in Mordialloc. You have to get car/bus/bike to Frankston and then take the train. If you drive all the way not in rush hour you will probably do it in 60.

BB
Old May 26th 2014, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
A movecube would have just been too easy

Allied Pickfords is another you could try. And the one with a name like an Aussie supermarket too - provided you're willing to watch their sticky-fingered packers like hawks

I'll give Pickfords a ring too, thanks. Whats the other one called? Aldi?

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
In rush hour it would be over 90 mins door to door - I did this for a few weeks when we first moved and it definitely prompted our long term settling in Mordialloc. You have to get car/bus/bike to Frankston and then take the train. If you drive all the way not in rush hour you will probably do it in 60.

BB
Arrrrhhh that explains why the houses are cheap! Damn! I thought they had to be a catch! Tut. I was getting a bit excited too because I found some lovely houses there, with pools too! Hmmm OK, next plan.....

Thanks Buzzy!
Old May 26th 2014, 11:03 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a pain in the ass?

Thanks.
You can use the journey planner here to get an idea of public transport options to the CBD. I guess for CBD just put the destination as Flinders Street Station.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/journey#jpsear...5D=showPlanner

For Mornington public transport options come in at 90-100 minutes although as Buzzy said you would probably drive to Frankston.
Old May 26th 2014, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
You can use the journey planner here to get an idea of public transport options to the CBD. I guess for CBD just put the destination as Flinders Street Station.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/journey#jpsear...5D=showPlanner

For Mornington public transport options come in at 90-100 minutes although as Buzzy said you would probably drive to Frankston.
Cheers BC.
Old May 27th 2014, 1:46 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Renting in a hurry.

In December 1999 we moved from Brisbane to Adelaide. I was working overseas at the time so my wife packed up the rental house in Brisbane and had everything sent to Adelaide whilst she drove to Sydney to spend Christmas with her family. I flew in to Sydney just before Christmas and on Boxing day we drove to Adelaide, found a hotel for the night, and on the 27th started looking for a rental.
We had a deadline because if we didn't get our furniture etc out of store before the 3rd Jan we would not be able to get it until the 15th - and I had to fly out again on the 7th! We actually found a not bad property in our preferred area and had everything settled in time to get the furniture in before I flew out.

My next trip home was at Easter when in two weeks we managed to find the house we wanted to buy, arrange the finance and inspections, and get the contract signed before I flew out again! Had to leave my wife to do the move, but fortunately her two teenage sons were able to help her.
Old May 27th 2014, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Renting in a hurry.

In December 1999 we moved from Brisbane to Adelaide. I was working overseas at the time so my wife packed up the rental house in Brisbane and had everything sent to Adelaide whilst she drove to Sydney to spend Christmas with her family. I flew in to Sydney just before Christmas and on Boxing day we drove to Adelaide, found a hotel for the night, and on the 27th started looking for a rental.
We had a deadline because if we didn't get our furniture etc out of store before the 3rd Jan we would not be able to get it until the 15th - and I had to fly out again on the 7th! We actually found a not bad property in our preferred area and had everything settled in time to get the furniture in before I flew out.

My next trip home was at Easter when in two weeks we managed to find the house we wanted to buy, arrange the finance and inspections, and get the contract signed before I flew out again! Had to leave my wife to do the move, but fortunately her two teenage sons were able to help her.
Great story!

I have two teenage sons too, hopefully they will help me, if not they will be getting a kick up the backside!
Old May 27th 2014, 12:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Great story!

I have two teenage sons too, hopefully they will help me, if not they will be getting a kick up the backside!
In yer dreams, lass
Old May 27th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

That's great! Thanks very much!

Are you liking it over there?
No problem.
We did like it very much, (although it took a year or so just to adjust) we stayed for 7 1/2 years - we have now been relocated to the coldest city on the planet in Canada for hubby's work, but we did get citizenship before we left so hopefully we will be back to the sun sometime....
Old May 28th 2014, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paulry
In yer dreams, lass

Well yeah.......

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
No problem.
We did like it very much, (although it took a year or so just to adjust) we stayed for 7 1/2 years - we have now been relocated to the coldest city on the planet in Canada for hubby's work, but we did get citizenship before we left so hopefully we will be back to the sun sometime....
I'm glad you liked it. I bet Canada is nice too actually.
Old Jun 1st 2014, 7:41 am
what's not to like about

knav2013 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just wondered if it was possible securing a rental within a four week timescale ?

Has anyone managed to do this?
Don't go with the the websites where they are 'brokers' to the place where you are looking to stay at. They often have good marketing, 'flashy' websites.

Go for sites that have good reviews, and I am not talking about sites that have posted what some of their own customers say.
Old Jun 2nd 2014, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Molly - I've sent you a quick PM - hope you get it okay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.