Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Melbourne

Renting in Melbourne

Old May 22nd 2014, 9:43 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Melbourne

Molly, I'm a landlord, at the moment with my Melbourne properties I'm getting no gaps between tenants, but only one application per property, with about 7 viewers. So that would indicate to me that the applicant/vacancy ratio is about equal right now and you should have no trouble getting a house, depending of course on the area you choose.

BB
Old May 22nd 2014, 10:00 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle

Thanks.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit worried. We are cutting it short time wise, to find a house, secure it and move in. The pressure will be on.

Can I ask, did you time it so your belongings arrived roughly about the time you got the house?
Hey, don't worry too much about that, Molly. Check with your shipping agents but some of them include free/cheap storage for a few weeks on arrival (though, really, you'll be unlikely to need it). Plus if you create a rapport with the letting agents when you view and write up good covering letters together with proof of a good financial position, etc to accompany your application, you'll be snapped up pronto. It's been like that for each of the three houses we've rented this side. Just don't be too desperate by applying for a house that's not right for you. And make sure it has heating.

Last edited by paulry; May 22nd 2014 at 10:05 pm.
Old May 22nd 2014, 10:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of agents don't hand out application forms until you've viewed the property, however they usually give it a day or two after the viewing before they submit the to the landlord. And you can usually send your scanned applications by email. Which reminds me, our first purchase in Australia (on day two, I think) was a cheap printer/scanner/photocopier.
Old May 22nd 2014, 10:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

I'll be honest, I'm a bit worried. We are cutting it short time wise, to find a house, secure it and move in. The pressure will be on.

Can I ask, did you time it so your belongings arrived roughly about the time you got the house?
We tried to do that, but because of striking French dockers our furniture didn't arrive for six weeks after we moved in, so we were camping. I say "we" but my OH had to go to Japan for 2 of those weeks, staying in a posh hotel, whilst DD and I were left alone in a freezing cold house with nothing but what we had in our cases. Luckily the school that DD had just started had a boarding house and they lent us bedding, chairs, a table and plates etc. The parent's association scrambled round and lent us a double bed, TV and some oil heaters, and we went to K-mart and bought a very cheap microwave, blow up mattress for DD, toaster and kettle. (The oven in the rental was so disgusting that I had to get them back to clean it and make sure the rings worked, and that took weeks.)

Happy days- not!

Last edited by old.sparkles; May 22nd 2014 at 11:58 pm. Reason: fix quote
Old May 23rd 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Molly, I'm a landlord, at the moment with my Melbourne properties I'm getting no gaps between tenants, but only one application per property, with about 7 viewers. So that would indicate to me that the applicant/vacancy ratio is about equal right now and you should have no trouble getting a house, depending of course on the area you choose.

BB
That's very reassuring, thanks Buzzy

Originally Posted by paulry
Hey, don't worry too much about that, Molly. Check with your shipping agents but some of them include free/cheap storage for a few weeks on arrival (though, really, you'll be unlikely to need it). Plus if you create a rapport with the letting agents when you view and write up good covering letters together with proof of a good financial position, etc to accompany your application, you'll be snapped up pronto. It's been like that for each of the three houses we've rented this side. Just don't be too desperate by applying for a house that's not right for you. And make sure it has heating.
The shipping company have told us that it takes up to 14 weeks for our stuff to arrive, so we will be sending it pretty soon if we want it to arrive around about the time we hope to have a house...

Lots of agents don't hand out application forms until you've viewed the property, however they usually give it a day or two after the viewing before they submit the to the landlord. And you can usually send your scanned applications by email. Which reminds me, our first purchase in Australia (on day two, I think) was a cheap printer/scanner/photocopier.
Good idea to buy a scanner on arrival.

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
We tried to do that, but because of striking French dockers our furniture didn't arrive for six weeks after we moved in, so we were camping. I say "we" but my OH had to go to Japan for 2 of those weeks, staying in a posh hotel, whilst DD and I were left alone in a freezing cold house with nothing but what we had in our cases. Luckily the school that DD had just started had a boarding house and they lent us bedding, chairs, a table and plates etc. The parent's association scrambled round and lent us a double bed, TV and some oil heaters, and we went to K-mart and bought a very cheap microwave, blow up mattress for DD, toaster and kettle. (The oven in the rental was so disgusting that I had to get them back to clean it and make sure the rings worked, and that took weeks.)

Happy days- not!
How kind of the school to look after you like that.

Well Caroline stories like yours are what I don't want to happen to us.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

DanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond reputeDanSolihull has a reputation beyond repute

I managed to find a rental and move in within one week of landing in Melbourne.
Old May 23rd 2014, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DanSolihull
I managed to find a rental and move in within one week of landing in Melbourne.
Oh it happens then. Good.

I think it will be a mixture of timing, luck and having the right documents, lets hope its that easy for us.
Old May 24th 2014, 12:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

If we can move over, land on the 24th November, view stacks and actually buy a house and move in on the 21st December, I'm fairly sure you can find and move into a rental in the same period.

We sent our container over a month before we flew. This meant that any stuff we needed, we could borrow off friends, family and neighbours and then hand it back at the end. This also meant (we were seriously bloody lucky) that our container was delivered to our new house on the day we took ownership of it so no putting up with blow up mattresses etc.
Old May 24th 2014, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved back to Melbourne two years ago I started work a day after arriving, bought a car that night and managed to find a rental property a week later, so it's definitely do-able. A lot will depend on where you're looking, what you need/want and your budget. Do you have areas in mind Molly?
Old May 24th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If we can move over, land on the 24th November, view stacks and actually buy a house and move in on the 21st December, I'm fairly sure you can find and move into a rental in the same period.

We sent our container over a month before we flew. This meant that any stuff we needed, we could borrow off friends, family and neighbours and then hand it back at the end. This also meant (we were seriously bloody lucky) that our container was delivered to our new house on the day we took ownership of it so no putting up with blow up mattresses etc.

I can't believe you managed to find, buy and move into a house under a month, that's incredible!
You were seriously lucky there!

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
When we moved back to Melbourne two years ago I started work a day after arriving, bought a car that night and managed to find a rental property a week later, so it's definitely do-able. A lot will depend on where you're looking, what you need/want and your budget. Do you have areas in mind Molly?
That's good going!

The areas we are looking at are Williamstown and the surrounding areas and also McKinnon.
However we have never been to any of these places so this could all change once we have had a look around.
Old May 24th 2014, 10:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.

Four weeks will be no problem getting a rental, I think 3-4 weeks is average and a lot of people are saying that the market is not as competitive as it was. It was pretty competitive when we arrived nearly four years ago, we haven't moved since.

Don't offer to pay rent up front unless you find you have to. I read a story the other day of someone who paid up front and then the house got repossessed and they were in all kinds of strife!

Most people do indoor camping for the first few weeks. You mention 14 weeks as an estimate you have received, obviously there is a range but that seems like one of the more conservative estimates to me. I would have thought 10 -11 weeks was more average. We were pretty quick, 9 weeks door to door.
Old May 24th 2014, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Four weeks will be no problem getting a rental, I think 3-4 weeks is average and a lot of people are saying that the market is not as competitive as it was. It was pretty competitive when we arrived nearly four years ago, we haven't moved since.

Don't offer to pay rent up front unless you find you have to. I read a story the other day of someone who paid up front and then the house got repossessed and they were in all kinds of strife!

Most people do indoor camping for the first few weeks. You mention 14 weeks as an estimate you have received, obviously there is a range but that seems like one of the more conservative estimates to me. I would have thought 10 -11 weeks was more average. We were pretty quick, 9 weeks door to door.

Oh dear. Not a good story about the house getting repossessed, that never even entered my head. Thanks!

Regarding the shipping times, I think they are just trying to cover their backs there aren't they? This is for half a container, they said a full container is a lot quicker.
I'll know more when the bloke from the company comes and discusses all the ins and outs with us properly.
Old May 24th 2014, 10:40 pm
Banned

Regarding shipping, your timelines look a bit tight. The removal companies usually need a lead time to secure shipping space. I'm sure they'll be able to send in the packers and collect your stuff fairly quickly but I'd be surprised if you're able to get your stuff onto a ship to Aus before you leave. Anything's possible I guess if you pay enough but I'd plan for a few weeks of "camping" in a rental, you'd be surprised how liberating it feels. Lead times are definitely a question I'd add to the list to ask each of the removals companies when they visit you for quotes. And expect the quotes to vary wildly, so I recommend getting at least 3 or 4.

It's a pity the search capability on this site isn't up to much these days because if you could dig deep into the data you find tons of info.
Old May 25th 2014, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear. Not a good story about the house getting repossessed, that never even entered my head. Thanks!

Regarding the shipping times, I think they are just trying to cover their backs there aren't they? This is for half a container, they said a full container is a lot quicker.
I'll know more when the bloke from the company comes and discusses all the ins and outs with us properly.
Yes I think they are building in some slack to the timeline. I didn't realise it was half container though, then they will have to match it up with another half, whereas with the full container, it can be packed and on its way.

We indoor camped for about 4 weeks, I think it is a right of passage for the new migrant but boy, by then you are really grateful to see the container!

Old May 26th 2014, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Regarding shipping, your timelines look a bit tight. The removal companies usually need a lead time to secure shipping space. I'm sure they'll be able to send in the packers and collect your stuff fairly quickly but I'd be surprised if you're able to get your stuff onto a ship to Aus before you leave. Anything's possible I guess if you pay enough but I'd plan for a few weeks of "camping" in a rental, you'd be surprised how liberating it feels. Lead times are definitely a question I'd add to the list to ask each of the removals companies when they visit you for quotes. And expect the quotes to vary wildly, so I recommend getting at least 3 or 4.

It's a pity the search capability on this site isn't up to much these days because if you could dig deep into the data you find tons of info.
Cheers for all that info Paul, I did initially ring just one shipping company up, Crown, they are coming to see us early June. I tried to ring John Masons up today but no answer as it's bank holiday. ( I forgot )

By the way, can you remember a few months ago when I was just taking a Move Cube with my paintings and bikes in?
It's a good job I'm not moving near you, I'd have you all round helping me unpack!

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Yes I think they are building in some slack to the timeline. I didn't realise it was half container though, then they will have to match it up with another half, whereas with the full container, it can be packed and on its way.

We indoor camped for about 4 weeks, I think it is a right of passage for the new migrant but boy, by then you are really grateful to see the container!

Well B, I'm hoping to do my indoor camping at this side of the journey. At least that way, if I need anything I can just nip to my mums, because they certainly won't be any nipping to my mothers in Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.