Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renting a house with a pool

renting a house with a pool

Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:48 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default renting a house with a pool

Hi,

wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to rent a house with a pool in Brisbane, I have been searching a couple of sites and most of the houses to rent do not have pools - does anyone know why this would be - as I was hoping to have access to a pool - and do you know the difference between a salt pool and other types
Thanks little miss diddy
Old Aug 3rd 2004, 11:59 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renting a house with a pool

Originally posted by diddy
Hi,

wondering if anyone knows how easy it is to rent a house with a pool in Brisbane, I have been searching a couple of sites and most of the houses to rent do not have pools - does anyone know why this would be - as I was hoping to have access to a pool - and do you know the difference between a salt pool and other types
Thanks little miss diddy

Hi ya Nik...

I got no idea on renting houses with pools hon, sorry.

But I have swum in a salt water pool and its alot nicer than the chlorine pools....It felt nicer not swimming with all the chemicals...and the water felt just as clean....perhaps cleaner....

Hels
xxx

PS: Check ya PM's
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:02 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Many houses wil have pools. It depends on the suburb and how much you will pay for rent.

Close to city suburbs are on smaller blocks with less space for pools. About 5KM out and you start to get them, some suburbs I'd say half the houses have pools.

For rentals, you are unlikey to get a pool for less than $300 a week.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:05 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good looking one for $330/week, about 8km from CBD in 'posh' suburb.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=
Old Aug 4th 2004, 12:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure you factor in the cost of pool maintenance, or the time factor if you do it yourself.

They don't stay all clean and sparkly if left unattended, and the local pool maintenance blokes will have plenty of horror stories to tell ...

Jeremy

Originally posted by jayr
Here's a good looking one for $330/week, about 8km from CBD in 'posh' suburb.

http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin...=&fmt=&header=
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Hi,

Thanks little miss diddy
Diddy.
I have been here nearly 6 months renting and I can tell you that unless you don't mind paying in excess of A$400 a week ( which is prretty high really for renting in Brisbane), you will be very very lucky if you can find a property with a pool.
Problem is and others have mentioned this....but any decent properties rarely make it onto the real estate websites. Most agents have a weekly list in their stores that properties go on first and someyimes they don't even get on that first because someone who knows someone has already snapped it up.

To be honest with you ( and anybody else), you would be better looking for a rental in the first few weeks that you are here. Bear in mind also that if you are trying to find a rental from the UK with the web that some of the property photosn are .....old! I have seem some decidely dodgy places that looked ok on the website ...until you actually went there and looked at the place, the neighbours, the street. Website picture won't tell you about the four dogs next door that are left out all the time!....
Oh at thats another thing to bear in mind......people do leave their dogs outside in their back yards...sometimes all night
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:18 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by Sharpy67
I have seem some decidely dodgy places that looked ok on the website ...until you actually went there and looked at the place, the neighbours, the street. Website picture won't tell you about the four dogs next door that are left out all the time!....

True, only a trained eye can tell that what might look like Paradise to a pom is some 30 yr old house which is going to have a crappy kitchen and bathroom and no a/c and some dodgy tiling
Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:24 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Ok....from the horses mouth so to speak

I came to Brisbane 4 weeks ago and have rented a house with a pool for $250 AUD per week...

The house is a 3 bed bungalow

Clean

Large rooms

Near to schools

Near to shopping Malls

Near train station

15/20 mins drive from Brisbane central

45 mins train journey from Brisbane central station

And.......its in a nice enough area........well nice to me anyway....and I believe I have high standards and good taste....ask the hubby

Re chlorine pool upkeep [which is more expensive to run than salt water apparently]; The owners of the property have paid to have it cleaned / serviced when we moved in even though it was checked and was OK!.....and running costs are as follows;

Acid =$8.50 AUD for 5 litres [use 500ml per week]
Chlorine = $11 AUD 20 litres [use 500/750ml per day]

We are EXTREMELY happy with the house and pool..........and the real estate guy was more than helpful...I can give you his name and telephone number if you'd like it and I'm sure he'd be happy to help.

Just PM me to ask and I'll PM you back with details

Good luck mate.......and welcome to the lucky country

Old Aug 4th 2004, 4:56 am
Karma Comedian

Originally posted by Phoenixuk2oz

I came to Brisbane 4 weeks ago and have rented a house with a pool for $250 AUD per week...
Well I think you've done very well there. I've just had a trawl through realestate.com and there were a handful of pool available for $250 and I hadn't heard of the suburbs. Are you N,W,E or S?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:07 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Shes over near me Jayr, I can vouch that the house is quite respectable & clean & very handy to everything, although the kitchen is a bit dated. But if you can overlook the look of the kitchen (its actually very functional & heaps of room & cupboards, just the wrong colour ), the house is excellent value!
Old Aug 4th 2004, 5:22 am
Karma Comedian

I think I'll have to move bayside! Occasionally one or two come up near me for under $300 but none at the moment, I'd quite like to reduce my $410 rent when my lease expires but am fairly tied location wise due to schooling.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks little miss diddy
I'd guess time of year, summer coming on houses with pools are going to be in high demand, probably much easier to find in Winter when nobody wants the upkeep of a pool you cant use.

Salt water pools are still chlorinated, the salt makes the cholorine tho, older pools will generally be tip in liquid chlorine, very harsh if not done correctly, I dont think anyone builds this type nowdays. Both require weekly maintence or like today windy, leaves from trees daily maintenence.
Old Aug 4th 2004, 6:05 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally posted by jad n rich
I'd guess time of year, summer coming on houses with pools are going to be in high demand, probably much easier to find in Winter when nobody wants the upkeep of a pool you cant use.

Salt water pools are still chlorinated, the salt makes the cholorine tho, older pools will generally be tip in liquid chlorine, very harsh if not done correctly, I dont think anyone builds this type nowdays. Both require weekly maintence or like today windy, leaves from trees daily maintenence.

Knew there was a benefit of having no trees - think our filter is down to min run time at the moment and the pool is barely touched. Thats changes to the other end of the scale in the hotter months!!!

Diddy - what areas are you looking at?
Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:18 am
rudo1ph

Originally posted by Hels
Hi ya Nik...

I got no idea on renting houses with pools hon, sorry.

But I have swum in a salt water pool and its alot nicer than the chlorine pools....It felt nicer not swimming with all the chemicals...and the water felt just as clean....perhaps cleaner....

Hels
xxx

PS: Check ya PM's

But Salt water pools just convert the salt into chlorine........so yes, you put salt in but then it gets pumped through a chlorinator to create the chlorine to keep to pool clean.......

Old Aug 4th 2004, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Neil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really niceNeil S is just really nice

If you go to the www.domain.com.au website, after you specify the regions in Brisbane you are interested in, you can enter the word 'pool' in the keywords box and it comes up currently with 184 listings for the whole of the city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.