Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Dunedin

Renting in Dunedin

Old Oct 30th 2003, 12:56 pm
Drowning Member

Surfer Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting in Dunedin

Trying to look for renting agents in Dunedin. Whenever I search the properties of agents that advertise they rent nothing comes up no matter what value I put in. Does anyone know of any agents that rent and advertise on the web? Or of any good agents whom I can email for advice?
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

chris hogan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting in Dunedin

Originally posted by Surfer Chick
Trying to look for renting agents in Dunedin. Whenever I search the properties of agents that advertise they rent nothing comes up no matter what value I put in. Does anyone know of any agents that rent and advertise on the web? Or of any good agents whom I can email for advice?
Thought I'd get it back to the top for you SC.Help needed somebody.
Old Oct 30th 2003, 9:27 pm
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried www.domain.com.au ?

I put in 'Dunedin' in the rent section, and it asked me which one:

Diamond Beach 2430 NSW Central & North Coasts, Newcastle & Hunter Valley / Mid-North Coast
Diamond Head 2443 NSW Central & North Coasts, Newcastle & Hunter Valley / Mid-North Coast
Dondingalong 2440 NSW Central & North Coasts, Newcastle & Hunter Valley / Mid-North Coast
Demondrille 2587 NSW Regional NSW / Central Tablelands
Dinton Vale 2360 NSW Regional NSW / Northern Tablelands
Diamond Head 4551 QLD South Eastern QLD / Sunshine Coast & Region
Dinmont 3249 VIC Melbourne / Geelong & Great Ocean Rd
Diamond Creek 3089 VIC Melbourne / Northern Melbourne
Dandenong 3175 VIC Melbourne / Outer South East & Gippsland
Dandenong North 3175 VIC Melbourne / Outer South East & Gippsland
Dandenong South 3175 VIC Melbourne / Outer South East & Gippsland
Dinant 3546 VIC North Western Victoria / Mallee
Diamond Gully 3450 VIC Northern Victoria / Greater Bendigo Region
Diamond Hill 3550 VIC Northern Victoria / Greater Bendigo Region
Dandongadale 3737 VIC Northern Victoria / North Eastern VIC
Dundonnell 3271 VIC South Western Victoria / Otway Ranges & Region

Maybe you can take it from there?
Old Oct 31st 2003, 6:48 am
Drowning Member

Maybe its a start
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:03 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you mean Dunedin, NZ?

Or a Dunedin is Aus somewhere?

In a small place like Dunedin (NZ) I would doubt you'd find many rentals on the web. The majority of them wouldn't make it on to the web. Dunedin is a large student town, so plenty of rental accomodation (not all you'd want to live though) - so there will be lots but just not advertised on the web that's all.

You could try looking on the UNiversity ot Otago website to see if they have any accomodation tips, or pretend you're an incoming student and email their accomodation office. They might point you in the right direction.

NB - it is the summer break at uni right now, so the students have left and this may free up the rental market slightly.

PS there's a popular surf beach in Dunedin - the water would be pretty cold in winter though! (and summer for that matter).
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:17 am
Drowning Member

Yes Dunedin, South Island, New Zealand, I hadn't had a proper look at what 'downunderpom' had sent ealier I was in a rush, but the thought counts.

Just how small is Dunedin? I've been told around 100,000 people, what size town would that be in the southern part of england?

This does concern me a little as Dunedin seems so right for us in many ways, but I need to find a job as an Architectural Technician or CAD Technician (will try when I'm out there which will help).
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:35 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

well I think Oxford is about 140000, but the big difference is that Oxfordshire is 600000, so any southern UK town has a lot more other population around it, and is never far from a really big city.

So there is more economic 'synergy' between towns.

Dunedin is at least a few hours from the next large town/city.

But it's a lovely place and is close to a gorgeous part of the country. It would definitely be on my shortlist of places to live in NZ (above Christchurch).

I don't really know about your job market, but I would guess you'd find something along those lines eventually. Might take a while though, and you may have get lucky/get your foot in door via contacts etc. There won't be a big selection advertised in the local paper I would have thought.

I could be completely wrong though.... the property market is booming so maybe your skills will be demand

The other thing in favour is that often young skilled professionals head for Wellington or Auckland or Sydney or London, so you may well be snapped up. My brother law worked as a property valuer in Wellington, but moved to Dunedin for lifestyle, and was snapped up. He then also made the move into database programming - so there are jobs.

Last edited by jandjuk; Oct 31st 2003 at 8:39 am.
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:39 am
Drowning Member

That was really helpful, thank you
Old Oct 31st 2003, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Try http://www.realenz.co.nz (Otago)

This will give you contacts of rental agents as well
Old Nov 1st 2003, 8:55 am
Drowning Member

Originally posted by newkiwi
Try http://www.realenz.co.nz (Otago)

This will give you contacts of rental agents as well

Yes! That worked, thanks
Old Nov 4th 2003, 5:29 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes! That worked, thanks
Agents - Hooker on Musselburgh Rise in Dunedin do rentals in a nice part of town.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:24 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

i read the Otago weekend paper which covers Dunedin too.Its a huge paper on a weekend and theres always about 10 page section of jobs.Well worth a look if you can get hold of a copy.(We got it mail order in Scotland albeit a few days late )The weekday paper is too thin to bother with.Very little of whats in the paper is on line i'm told!
Also in there is a rental section that is always a couple of pages long too.Thats the Otago Daily Times-Weekend Edition for those coming deep sarf
Old Nov 4th 2003, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by deedee
i read the Otago weekend paper which covers Dunedin too.Its a huge paper on a weekend and theres always about 10 page section of jobs.Well worth a look if you can get hold of a copy.(We got it mail order in Scotland albeit a few days late )
...or even better just read it online! www.odt.co.nz - you can go to back issues for the weekend edition, all the jobs etc are there, and probably rentals..

Gra..
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:25 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Gra.B
...or even better just read it online! www.odt.co.nz - you can go to back issues for the weekend edition, all the jobs etc are there, and probably rentals..

Gra..

We used Edinburgh Realty to get our rental place about 3 weeks ago. They seem to have one of the biggest selections along with Johnsons Realty.

Ph: 03 474 0444 and ask for Sandy or Nick.
www.realenz.net/weboffice.cfm?name=edinburgh&

Good luck!

Like Gra says keep checking Realenz and Odt websites. (paper probably has more rentals - particularly Sat and Wed)
Old Nov 7th 2003, 6:45 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Gra.B

Gra..
Ahhh,i don't worry now as it comes with my fish'n'chips in Queenstown