Reload this Page >

renting with dogs

renting with dogs

Old May 20th 2003, 5:31 pm
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renting with dogs

hi,has anyone out there had problems renting a house with big dogs?We want to take our rottie out with us to perth in aug but my sister who lives out there has said we will have difficulties in finding a place or be left with dumps to look at...im at my wits end at what to do!!!! any info please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 20th 2003, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

You may have problems, because I know when we had rental properties in Australia we always specified that we would not rent to anyone with pets or people who smoked. A big dog will put some owner's off, because no-one wants to get their yard trashed.
Old May 20th 2003, 8:06 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

what dya reckon my chances of renting with a jack russell are then???..hmmph

:scared:
Old May 20th 2003, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by yvsie
what dya reckon my chances of renting with a jack russell are then???..hmmph

:scared:
Don't narrow your chances, keep an eye out for poodles or spaniels too!
Old May 20th 2003, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: renting with dogs

Shellypuss in Adelaide also had difficulty initially, but found one after 3 weeks I think...
No idea what make of dog, sorry.

Mash..

Originally posted by tia
hi,has anyone out there had problems renting a house with big dogs?We want to take our rottie out with us to perth in aug but my sister who lives out there has said we will have difficulties in finding a place or be left with dumps to look at...im at my wits end at what to do!!!! any info please!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 20th 2003, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

My sister rents in Adelaide and they have two small dogs and 3 cats. So it is not impossible to get a house, it just reduces what will be available to you.
Old May 20th 2003, 9:07 pm
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, just going to have to make a decision either way!as i havnt got long to sort things out.......
Old May 20th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are there any restrictions on snarling wives ?

Just been look at property rentals and there are quite a few that say pets OK. But as already pointed out, choice is limited.
Old May 21st 2003, 3:18 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by tia
You will find it a tiny bit more difficult to find a place with animals, but you will find one!
I have cats, and I'd say about 60 to 75% of landlords do not want pets.

If you look through the rental listings, some say pets OK, or no pets allowed. The listings which do not mention pets are usually "open" for negotiation. The house I'm in now , I just asked the landlord as the listing for this house did not mention pets. A good idea is, if you are renting now in the UK with your dogs ask your landlord for a written reference for your dogs, just to say he/she has had no probs with them - and they've been very good "puppies" .

You should find a rental, it just narrows it down a wee bit when you have animals that's all.

cheers
Old May 21st 2003, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

We have rented to tenants with dogs, providing the dog is kept outside. In OZ when you leave a property you have to have the carpets cleaned as part of the lease, so our tenants also agreed to have the house pest controlled in case the odd flea got in. It is possible although as Ceri said, it may reduce your overall choice but as its only for a while thats probably not a big problem.
Old May 21st 2003, 3:43 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tia

Your best chance is private rental , and tell the landlord you will put up a Pet bond most will take the cash.

Old May 21st 2003, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by tia
Thanks guys, just going to have to make a decision either way!as i havnt got long to sort things out.......
It not only reduces your chances of renting, it reduces your choice of places to buy. A lot of new home are built with a body corporate, to run the common areas, and a lot of these have a no pets policy.

My house is in a body corporate of 10 houses, and a couple of owners have applied to keep dogs in there own property but it's always been voted down.

In fact the one property that has resold in the complex, one sale fell through because the new owners wanted permission to keep a dog, and it got voted down so the sale fell through. The seller couldn't complain because he voted everytime against animals when he lived their, but he resold within a week.

With a freehold property you wouldn't have this problem.
Old May 21st 2003, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Pets are often not allowed to be kept in Units & Flats, and some multi occupancy townhouses. However this is NOT a problem if you are buying a house. Most councils allow up to 2 dogs, and you register them our dog costs $15 a year.

I have only heard of one housing estate here that was Pet Free, to be honest I have heard of more that are Kid Free, but they are for the over 55,s usually.

Buying a house if you have a dog or cat is not going to be a problem.

Remember in OZ you need to give Heartworm Tablets and use a Monthly Tick Treatment. Both of these are available from your vet, some from the supermarket, and take about 10 seconds a month to apply.

Millions of people have dogs and cats in OZ without any problem whatsoever.
Old May 21st 2003, 6:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dotty
Buying a house if you have a dog or cat is not going to be a problem.

Have to disagree with you their Dotty, my complex consits of 8 free standing houses and 2 semi detached houses with their own private gardens, and it has a management company running the common areas and the maintenance.

All owners have a right to vote on any changes to the Body Corp rules, and one rule states no pets. We also have to get BC agreement to any external changes to the houses ( fitted airconditioners, external window screens, etc).

This sort of complex seems to be comming more and more common in the cities.
Old May 21st 2003, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul you actually disagree with everything I say even to the point of emaling me, emails which I do not open.

I have already stated the key here is MULTI OCCUPANCY. Where some common ground would be shared by people/body corporate rules etc.

As you know the MAJORITY of houses in OZ are freehold, and are NOT affected by these laws.

Most people emigrating here are looking for the dream, detached house on freehold land so would not be affected by these laws.

If you have a dog you generally are looking for a house with its own garden, which is 99% of the time going to be freehold.

Why encourage people to leave their pets in the UK when we all know bloody well dogs do not cause a housing problem here and are the most popular form of pet in OZ.

Are you a pet hater?, perhaps with that $50.00 a week food budget you cant stand the thought of all those doggys and cattys eating better than you do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.