renting and credit referenced

Wikiposts

renting and credit referenced

Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

CornishPasty is on a distinguished road
Default renting and credit referenced

Hi All,

I am moving to Oz soon, initially this will be on a working holiday visa until my PR comes thru hopefully Sept/Oct time. I am also on a sabatical from my work which stipulates I am unable to work in order to keep benefits such as share options.

So, if I dont work, what is the situation with getting accomodation etc? I will be moving in with my Aussie g/f but she is just about to start uni so her earnings will be albut zero.

I do have equity, and investments though outside of Oz. However I am intending on transferring a sizeable amount into an account over there.

Will I still be able to rent a place ok? If not, could I place a larger deposit or pay rent 3, 6 months in advance? Can i get a mobie phone and things like that?

I intend to do some charitable work or perhaps take a risk as I cant imagine not doing anything, but I intend to rent as soon as i get there and for sure I intend to chill for a month...or two...or study myself.

thanks
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:39 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi

i came over 5 years ago on WMV... i had quite a bit of money in an australian bank account....

that should help you get a place.. remember most places here are unfurnised...

you may find it easier to rent a room and share - you dont often sign a lease then as most agents push for you to sign a 12 month contract which is a bit tying when your on a WHV....

mobile phone - until PR comes through i think you're only allowed pay as you go.....

im doing the opposite to you - coming to edinburgh - can you tell me what its like there... was thinking of stockbridge or leith to live in?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks,

I intend to get a place for just the g/f and I, so wont be sharing. My stuff is shipping so will have some furniture, the rest is being left to the g/f who is out there now having fun window shopping!

Looks like we are swapping places! Well, i love Edinburgh. i have lived here for 14 months but been coming up here for work for about 4. Its really changed in the past 2 years, lots of nice bars and restaurants opened up, however shopping is still terrible, you need to go to Glasgow really for clothes shopping.

I live in the Newtown, on the outskirts and right next to Stock bridge. Obviously it depends on cost, but I would defo choose Newtown or Stockbridge to live in. Both are close to the town and also have some nice bars close by. I pay £650/month for a basement flat, however its quite big and has 2 bedrooms you can find much cheaper 1 beds and of course sharing.

If you have any more specific questions, fire away

Originally posted by jat
hi

i came over 5 years ago on WMV... i had quite a bit of money in an australian bank account....

that should help you get a place.. remember most places here are unfurnised...

you may find it easier to rent a room and share - you dont often sign a lease then as most agents push for you to sign a 12 month contract which is a bit tying when your on a WHV....

mobile phone - until PR comes through i think you're only allowed pay as you go.....

im doing the opposite to you - coming to edinburgh - can you tell me what its like there... was thinking of stockbridge or leith to live in?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:55 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
thanks for the info.......

where in oz are you coming too?

i lived in edinburgh 89-91 - changed so much since then! and i was a student then so differenet lifestyle....

stockbridge/newtown is my preference - ive been checking webs for property - if you know of any websites/estate agents - it would be great....

the only real questions i have is social life and wheres the best place for bars and restaurants etc...

i was at leith last year for the day and i wasnt too impressed but maybe i hadnt seen it at its best... so i wasnt too keen on moving there but people keep raving about it.... so interested in your thoughts....

agree on shopping - lived in glasgow for 6 years - so that part hasnt changed...

any more questions on oz ?
Old Feb 26th 2004, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Moving to Brisbane, I dont have that many questions about the area as I have been with a brissy girl for a number of years now so she is my knowledge bank. Generally I have a million and one questions on moving/shipping/visas though I think I am albut there now, I cant say how useful this place has been to me.

I used www.lettingservice.com have never been a problem with them and always been easy to get hold of.

Leith is a strange one, most areas are awful, then you have this nice area all of a sudden, nice bars, restaurant all along the river. bit strange. You would need to choose carefully where you live if you choise there, but I have had some good nights out down there.

Bars, Well comes down to taste. I have always liked the Basement fot its laid back student approach....like i am still holding on, just! Iguana, Bar Kohl, pivo. You know I just go where the locals take me. I hit gold as a few friends know the owners of quite a few bars and clubs and so I have been feeling quite important recently with no queues, charges and getting into VIP areas! it wont last!

Originally posted by jat
hi
thanks for the info.......

where in oz are you coming too?

i lived in edinburgh 89-91 - changed so much since then! and i was a student then so differenet lifestyle....

stockbridge/newtown is my preference - ive been checking webs for property - if you know of any websites/estate agents - it would be great....

the only real questions i have is social life and wheres the best place for bars and restaurants etc...

i was at leith last year for the day and i wasnt too impressed but maybe i hadnt seen it at its best... so i wasnt too keen on moving there but people keep raving about it.... so interested in your thoughts....

agree on shopping - lived in glasgow for 6 years - so that part hasnt changed...

any more questions on oz ?
Old Feb 26th 2004, 3:37 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: renting and credit referenced

Originally posted by CornishPasty
Hi All,

I am moving to Oz soon, initially this will be on a working holiday visa until my PR comes thru hopefully Sept/Oct time. I am also on a sabatical from my work which stipulates I am unable to work in order to keep benefits such as share options.

So, if I dont work, what is the situation with getting accomodation etc? I will be moving in with my Aussie g/f but she is just about to start uni so her earnings will be albut zero.

I do have equity, and investments though outside of Oz. However I am intending on transferring a sizeable amount into an account over there.

Will I still be able to rent a place ok? If not, could I place a larger deposit or pay rent 3, 6 months in advance? Can i get a mobie phone and things like that?

I intend to do some charitable work or perhaps take a risk as I cant imagine not doing anything, but I intend to rent as soon as i get there and for sure I intend to chill for a month...or two...or study myself.

thanks
If you do not have a job - but a sizable bank balance - ask the bank to do the reference, and put down an extra four weeks. It is a renters market at the moment so just ask the requirements off the agencies...get them to do leg work prior to viewing places.

A lot of the time all the agencies do is advertise the place and then submit your details for approval to the landlord. So it is worth asking at the agency for what they expect.

Mobiles - just buy pay as you go to start and look around for the best deal that suits you after that. We had UK phones and just used $50 start up with communicate - includes $50 calls.....a year plus ago, but they all the details at local phone shops

DO NOT TAKE A RISK........aus migration is awful if they catch you...and you will be out and not back in for three years min - charity work is a great idea, when you can work all those contacts will stand you in great stead

Have fun
Old Feb 26th 2004, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

CP, I rented a place in Melbourne with one of the big agencies and they did not want to see references or advanced rent. All we had to do was pay one month's rent value for the tenancy bond and one month rent in advance. I even offered them bank staements and they said not to bother. Neither of us had jobs either. I think it just depends where you go/what agency. Someone said the other day they had a nightmare in Adelaide with agencies wanting references.

I got a Vodafone sim-only deal on pre-pay - $30 which included 20 bucks worth of calls - just put the sim in my UK nokia.

There are often volunteer jobs on www.seek.com.au
What sort of sector are you looking for volunteer work in?