Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting In Australia- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

Renting In Australia- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:32 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting In Australia- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
On the other side of the coin........

The Bond Money isn't enough !!!!

We have just had to evict a tenant, for non payment of rent. We had to go to court: The court said, allow them 4 weeks to pay up, they didn't pay, so back to court etc.

End result....... 3 months of non paid rent, and then we are allowed to evict them. Whether we can afford pay the mortgage on the property, without incoming rent, is immaterial to the court.

Now we have to go bacjk to court to try to get them to pay, if we can find them !!

Can you tell I'm not very happy with tenants at the moment
We'll be your new tenants when we get over! Hope you get it sorted. My sister had problems with one of her tenants. Got it sorted eventually but sailed close to the wind with the mortgage!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to alljonjon is a name known to all

As indicated I was advised pictures or video of the accommodation the day you move in with the date function on the camera and especially any problems, damage or stains.

Then to burn this down to a cd or dvd with date function on and give one copy to the agent or land lord and keep the second copy for you.

If there is an argument in the future both parties have a copy of the condition when you moved in
Old Jan 13th 2006, 7:41 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonjon
As indicated I was advised pictures or video of the accommodation the day you move in with the date function on the camera and especially any problems, damage or stains.

Then to burn this down to a cd or dvd with date function on and give one copy to the agent or land lord and keep the second copy for you.

If there is an argument in the future both parties have a copy of the condition when you moved in

theres a lot of good info being given in this thread

thanks guys
Old Jan 13th 2006, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nanci
I would back goldcoastblue on this 100%, make sure you have everything in writing in particular, because telephone conversations can be disputed and cover your back at all times.

Landlords and agents are a breed apart and are only interested in your money. The tenants association are brilliant and we found them very helpful more than once during our tenancy.

I'm sure not everyone has bad experiences, but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

I was certainly relieved when we got our bond money back!
fab advice, we actually took pictures and some camcorder evidence and presented them to the landlord with our entry report. I think they were really shocked that we were so thorough and organised! We got all of our bond back!
Old Jan 13th 2006, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread, we had so much hassle with the agents, I won't go into details right now (although I wrote quite a few frustrated threads at the time!) but I would just add to get *everything* signed for e.g. letters of complaint, your version of the property report etc - take 2 copies of the document and get them to sign on your copy, make sure it's dated.

Be aware that the property report will list such things as the driveway (are there petrol stains from the previous tenant?), lawn weeds, cracked tiles, overgrown trees, broken fence panels as well as the more obvious indoor things such as carpets, cupboards, light fittings etc... so make sure yours is very thorough, have a good look round and take digital photos of any damage, or you could get stung for the extra cash or have loads of clean up to do on vacating the property. Incidentally, our agents tried to pass off a condition report from the 90s, stupidly they has left the date on and apparently the place was in immaculate condition! Fortunately we had submitted our own detailed report after discovering on the 2nd night that we were infested with cockroaches... but that's another story!