Reload this Page >

Renting application forms; and making it stand out

Renting application forms; and making it stand out

Old Jul 10th 2011, 5:59 am
Wanderrrrer

EasyTyler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting application forms; and making it stand out

Hey all,

I've recently relocated from the UK into my girlfriends place in Melbourne. It's pretty small but took her ages to secure because of all the challenges of renting - it's certainly different from the UK where the application + acceptance process seems a lot easier.

We've been looking for a larger place and found one that my gf has fallen in love with. It's spacious and in a great location, but has a horrid bathtub that has cracks allover the floor and ideally needs replacing.

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on making an attractive application? The cover letter, application by me with no Aussie (or UK) rental history etc.

2) To "sweeten" the application ourselves we have decided to offer some money towards the replacement of the bath - we love the place as somewhere to live, but the bath is ultimately a bit of a showstopper. It's 500 bucks which ultimately pulled out of nowhere... doe you think this would get their attention?

TIA for your help!
~Tyler
Old Jul 10th 2011, 6:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting application forms; and making it stand out

Originally Posted by EasyTyler
Hey all,

I've recently relocated from the UK into my girlfriends place in Melbourne. It's pretty small but took her ages to secure because of all the challenges of renting - it's certainly different from the UK where the application + acceptance process seems a lot easier.

We've been looking for a larger place and found one that my gf has fallen in love with. It's spacious and in a great location, but has a horrid bathtub that has cracks allover the floor and ideally needs replacing.

1) Does anyone have any suggestions on making an attractive application? The cover letter, application by me with no Aussie (or UK) rental history etc.

2) To "sweeten" the application ourselves we have decided to offer some money towards the replacement of the bath - we love the place as somewhere to live, but the bath is ultimately a bit of a showstopper. It's 500 bucks which ultimately pulled out of nowhere... doe you think this would get their attention?

TIA for your help!
~Tyler
The landlord could buy a tub for $130 which is tax deductible, if he wont fix a basic facility pre lease I'd hate to think what he wouldn't fix after you've moved in.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 8:24 am
Wanderrrrer

Originally Posted by jad n rich
The landlord could buy a tub for $130 which is tax deductible, if he wont fix a basic facility pre lease I'd hate to think what he wouldn't fix after you've moved in.
True - the place is empty at the moment so they could fix it right now if they were that inclined... perhaps they just want someone to rent as-is. (The floorboards also need replacing though, which we're not that worried about).

130 sounds pretty cheap compared to what I paid back in the UK - especially plus labour. I should perhaps visit bunnings and ask.
Old Jul 10th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

the rental market in Melbourne seems to have dropped off in recent months.

We had a place up for rent which was empty for 3 months- would have been unheard of last year.
So unless it is a spectacular place/amazing location/cheap rent, don't split a gut as there are definitely more vacant properties around. (this is based on agent feedback)
Old Jul 11th 2011, 12:05 pm
Wanderrrrer

Originally Posted by Pomster
the rental market in Melbourne seems to have dropped off in recent months.

We had a place up for rent which was empty for 3 months- would have been unheard of last year.
So unless it is a spectacular place/amazing location/cheap rent, don't split a gut as there are definitely more vacant properties around. (this is based on agent feedback)
No wonder - we've been inundated with calls from all the places we saw over the weekend - I think you've summed it up. Good news for most of us I guess!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 4:55 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

If you can afford it offer 3- 6 months rent upfront. This worked for us. 4 couples after the one we got, 1 st application and we got it!
Old Jul 12th 2011, 11:54 am
Wanderrrrer

Good news - we got the place!

Thanks to everyone for replying to the thread! Other renters take heed!