Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting accommodation from abroad - how to avoid con men?

Renting accommodation from abroad - how to avoid con men?

Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:03 am
Just Joined

Gargoyle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting accommodation from abroad - how to avoid con men?

Hello,

I am moving to Australia soon (in May), so I started to look for short/long term accommodation in Sydney. After I posted my advertisement on a flatmate search website I got a couple of responses within 15 minutes or so. All of them were obvious fraud.

Now, I keep getting some responses that don't look suspicious on the first glance. But maybe I fail to see it because I am not experienced in Australian rental market. I am afraid of being conned and on my arrival day to find out that I both lost my money and don't have accommodation.

So, is anybody here has the experience of renting a room in Australia from abroad? What is the standard procedure? How do I sign the contract, lodge bond money, etc? How can I be sure that the person who lets a room is genuine? What question should I ask before I agree to rent?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by Gargoyle; Mar 16th 2010 at 6:06 am.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting accommodation from abroad - how to avoid con men?

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I am afraid of being conned and on my arrival day to find out that I both lost my money and don't have accommodation.

So, is anybody here has the experience of renting a room in Australia from abroad? What is the standard procedure? How do I sign the contract, lodge bond money, etc? How can I be sure that the person who lets a room is genuine? What question should I ask before I agree to rent?
The only way you can be sure the person is genuine is if you rent from a reputable estate agent (easy enough to check).

If you only want to rent a room, then you can't rent from an estate agent. In that case: book yourself into a hotel, motel, cheap bed & breakfast for a couple of weeks. Then look for a room to rent while you are here in Australia. You can then meet the person and check out the room, meet the other flat mates - that way you'll know it's genuine.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
If you only want to rent a room, then you can't rent from an estate agent. In that case: book yourself into a hotel, motel, cheap bed & breakfast for a couple of weeks.
Well, this is what I tried to do. However, these "cheap" hotels are insanely expensive (like starting from $150 per day and getting much higher quite quickly). I have no problem living in a hostel for a couple of weeks, but I can't see anything within reasonable budget in Sydney. I need something up to $250 per week. Is it realistic? Do you have any of such motels in mind?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:32 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Are you serious? I am willing to be proved wrong but I wouldn't think there is anything for $250/week.

I need something up to $250 per week. Is it realistic? Do you have any of such motels in mind?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Well, this is what I tried to do. However, these "cheap" hotels are insanely expensive (like starting from $150 per day and getting much higher quite quickly). I have no problem living in a hostel for a couple of weeks, but I can't see anything within reasonable budget in Sydney. I need something up to $250 per week. Is it realistic? Do you have any of such motels in mind?
Have a look at the hostels on www.hostelworld.com

For around $35 a night ($250/week) you may be able to live in a shared dorm. If you are going to stay somewhere for more than a week you're probably better off contacting the hostel directly and ask them if they have special rates.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 6:57 am
Just Joined

chikala is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone recommend decent short-term accomodation in Brisbane?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jayr
Are you serious? I am willing to be proved wrong but I wouldn't think there is anything for $250/week.
Well, that's why I am asking these questions here to figure out how reasonable I am.

Actually, I don't know. I am browsing sites like Gumtree ot Craiglist and I can see that people offer fully furnished rooms in shared appartments/houses (all bills included + internet) for 200AUD and often even less. So, 250AUD per week sounds not that bad.

I don't need anything fancy. Just a bed with a shower and internet connection for a couple of weeks (maybe month) until I settle down properly.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 8:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
Have a look at the hostels on www.hostelworld.com
Hi Deutschmaster, thanks a lot for this link!
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:36 am
Just Joined

Kat_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Try this domain.com.au they do shared houses by estate agents for example. http://www.domain.com.au/Property/Fo.../?adid=6294042

Hope this helps and good luck
Kat
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kat_uk
Try this domain.com.au they do shared houses by estate agents for example. http://www.domain.com.au/Property/Fo.../?adid=6294042
Hi Kat, thanks for the link. Frankly, this ad looks too good to be true. I don't understand why there is such huge difference in prices. For example, backpackers hostel with 4 persons in a room charges about $250 per week. Now I can see this fabulous appartment for $200-220 per week. Or is it per day?
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Bond_32 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chikala
Can anyone recommend decent short-term accomodation in Brisbane?
This might help:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=658319
Old Mar 16th 2010, 9:59 pm
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in a share house you pay your rent ($200 per week) plus electricity (maybe $10 per week), gas ($10 maybe), internet etc. Plus you are doing the cleaning etc.

In a hostel - it is bills inclusive and they do the cleaning!

They also make a profit.

I wouldn't expect to pay more than $200 per week for a house share. I also wouldn't EVER rent a room without first a) seeing the room/house b) meeting my co-tenants and c) making sure it was in an area suitable for me.

You're better off to book a hostel for a couple of weeks and then find a house/flat share.

Good luck.
Old Mar 16th 2010, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tking
In a hostel - it is bills inclusive and they do the cleaning!
They may do the cleaning, but most of the time they don't do it well. Also, in a hostel I need to share a bathroom with a bunch of dirty backpackers and they are partying/shagging around the clock. Not the most relaxing environment, to put it mildly. I don't mind cleaning after myself, BTW.

Yes, there is always the risk to end up with wackos when renting over the internet. Other points are correct, too. Though with Google maps and street views one can get the vague impression of the place.

Good luck.
Thanks. I definitely will need it.