Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rentals in Wollongong area

Rentals in Wollongong area

Old May 11th 2010, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of
Default Rentals in Wollongong area

How hard is it to get a rental in the Wollongong area right now???

I spoke to Dougmals in Woonona last week and he says they are struggling to keep a decent number of properties on the books. They only ever have between 3 and 6 right now because they are moving so fast and if I see somewhere I want to rent I should apply on the spot!

Is anyone else having trouble getting a rental? Anyone got any tips?

PS Daughter doesn't know yet that we have to move so if you see me, mum's the word!

PPS If you hear of anyone wanting to rent out a 2 bed or more property for $350pw or less between Corrimal and Thirroul please let me know!
Old May 12th 2010, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rentals in Wollongong area

Hi there

I reckon you should turn up with at least two good references and i have always offered 3 months in advance, it seems to work the majority of the time. Like you have been told, if you like it, apply on the spot. As for the lack of decent rentals i think its is a country wide thing and to be honest i cant see it getting any better anytime soon, try this under real estate http://www.locationlowdown.com.au/se...NSW/Wollongong

Good luck

Bob
Old May 12th 2010, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

carzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud ofcarzinoz has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice Bob.

I went in to Dougmals again today and asked for a written reference but they said they only do phone references. They did give me a print out to show my payment history so that's good.

I was a bit horrified to see that there was a property on their printed rental list in the branch that hadn't been on the internet when I had checked only 20 minutes before and someone was standing at the counter applying for it! Looks like I will have to go in to the office daily if I want first dibs on anything.

When you suggested references did you mean from agents or personal references?

Thanks

Caroline
Old May 12th 2010, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

Bob Tonnor will become famous soon enoughBob Tonnor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by carzinoz
Thanks for the advice Bob.

I went in to Dougmals again today and asked for a written reference but they said they only do phone references. They did give me a print out to show my payment history so that's good.

I was a bit horrified to see that there was a property on their printed rental list in the branch that hadn't been on the internet when I had checked only 20 minutes before and someone was standing at the counter applying for it! Looks like I will have to go in to the office daily if I want first dibs on anything.

When you suggested references did you mean from agents or personal references?

Thanks

Caroline
Hi

yeah i was thinking of references from employers and past agents, if you have any. I would also try to set up an alert on your email so if any new properties come in you get notified immeadiately, you could maybe even ask about SMS alerts, it all helps. Id maybe sign myself up to email alerts from everything that looks like a real estate agent in the gong.

Good luck

Bob
Old May 13th 2010, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Bob,

I went in to Dougmals again today and got the agent chatting and after 5 minutes she remembered she's about to take on a new property, it's not ideal but a good compromise and she's promised to let me see it first before it even goes on the books. Fingers crossed

Caroline
Old May 13th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carzinoz
Thanks Bob,

I went in to Dougmals again today and got the agent chatting and after 5 minutes she remembered she's about to take on a new property, it's not ideal but a good compromise and she's promised to let me see it first before it even goes on the books. Fingers crossed

Caroline
Excellent!!

Good on yer

Bob