Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rentals in south of perth

rentals in south of perth

Old Sep 17th 2005, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

sephy is on a distinguished road
Default rentals in south of perth

Hi has anyone any advice of short term accommodation rentals in the South of Perth?
Any advice would be helpful, we are going at the beginning of Nov and would like to look into booking as soon as we know are flight details. Cheers
Old Sep 17th 2005, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

suzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant futuresuzannepatricia has a brilliant future
Default Re: rentals in south of perth

Originally Posted by sephy
Hi has anyone any advice of short term accommodation rentals in the South of Perth?
Any advice would be helpful, we are going at the beginning of Nov and would like to look into booking as soon as we know are flight details. Cheers
Try www.realestate.co.au, and pick rentals. Also www.rossgalloway.com.au
Old Sep 19th 2005, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

sephy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that
Old Sep 19th 2005, 2:27 pm
Formerly Windsurfer UK

windsurfer WA is an unknown quantity at this point

We are just about to break our lease in Leeming South Perth, as we are buying a house now, the lease has 5 months to run.Can lease for another year after if you wish. We took the lease as 1min walk from really good school . 4 bed 2 bathroom plus study, games room , living room ect... plus large pool, big garden, cul de sac , really nice neighbours, respectable decent area, 340 aud a week, if you have kids , the school is the important thing. Moving out, mid Oct
If interested PM me.
Regards Windsurfer W A
Old Sep 19th 2005, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally Posted by windsurfer WA
We are just about to break our lease in Leeming South Perth, as we are buying a house now, the lease has 5 months to run.Can lease for another year after if you wish. We took the lease as 1min walk from really good school . 4 bed 2 bathroom plus study, games room , living room ect... plus large pool, big garden, cul de sac , really nice neighbours, respectable decent area, 340 aud a week, if you have kids , the school is the important thing. Moving out, mid Oct
If interested PM me.
Regards Windsurfer W A
Pardon my french but ***** me!! HOW MUCH??? no wonder you're breaking your lease!! $340 a WEEK??? they are having a laugh aren't they??!! :scared:

It depends on how rich you are obviously but anything that costs that much, you might as well buy..then just sell it if you hate the area!!...IMHO of course!

How short term are you looking? holiday/recce or just for when you first arrive? And how far south are you looking? one of the guys on here has this site: move to perth

love sophia xx
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:23 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sophia
Pardon my french but ***** me!! HOW MUCH??? no wonder you're breaking your lease!! $340 a WEEK??? they are having a laugh aren't they??!! :scared:

It depends on how rich you are obviously but anything that costs that much, you might as well buy..then just sell it if you hate the area!!...IMHO of course!

How short term are you looking? holiday/recce or just for when you first arrive? And how far south are you looking? one of the guys on here has this site: move to perth

love sophia xx

Hi Sophia,

I'm interested in what you say here because it throws up a wider issue which I'd like your opinion on.

When I read the decsription of the house I expected it to be in the region of $340 - $350. Your response has made me think again. In my experience of house hunting, anything north of the Leeming area or south of Carine atracts these kind of rental prices - certainly nominally (i.e advertised rentals).

And yet I've heard shock and horror from people like yourself when these rents are mentioned. Does this suggest that the advertised rent is actually way above what the landlord realistically expects to get?

We're about to look for unfurnished rental in these kind of areas - 4x2 and were thinking of $300 to $350 - because that's what they seem to be advertised at. Is it the norm to offer a lot below the asking rental?
Old Sep 20th 2005, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally Posted by NKSK
Hi Sophia,

I'm interested in what you say here because it throws up a wider issue which I'd like your opinion on.

When I read the decsription of the house I expected it to be in the region of $340 - $350. Your response has made me think again. In my experience of house hunting, anything north of the Leeming area or south of Carine atracts these kind of rental prices - certainly nominally (i.e advertised rentals).

And yet I've heard shock and horror from people like yourself when these rents are mentioned. Does this suggest that the advertised rent is actually way above what the landlord realistically expects to get?

We're about to look for unfurnished rental in these kind of areas - 4x2 and were thinking of $300 to $350 - because that's what they seem to be advertised at. Is it the norm to offer a lot below the asking rental?
hiya NKSK
Well of course, as I said, that is only my personal opinion. But I think the thing to look at is how much of a proportion of your wages is that going to be? As I said if I were looking at a WEEKLY rental of that much, I would be buying a place!! If you're only renting with your english cash then I guess it would be ok for a short time. Depending on what sort of work you're doing, most people tend to get much lower wages over here so $350 a week could be a massive chunk of your wages for a rental, but could be worth it for a mortgage. Again everything has to be taken into consideration...do you have children? if so, are you putting them into private education (cos that also costs big time) etc etc.

Also, I live south (Rockingham) where the rents are lower than up North, however, I knew one of the earlier posters on here rented in Hillarys and I'm certain that they didn't pay anything like that much in rent! But then I guess the rental market has probably accelerated like the purchasing market.

Obviously you've done your homework, but when we first arrived our rent was $180 per week for a 4x2 on a large plot in a pretty good location. AGain this was in Rockingham where the rents are much more reasonable. I don't have any first hand experience of renting up north, maybe one of the other regulars from up there could put in their two penneth worth?

Anyway, real estate has a good suburb profiler etc on it...check it out. The search I did in Leeming threw up some rentals for about $280 PW. But this depends on if you're wanting a flashy brand new home, or are happy with an established property. Horses for courses I guess. If we all wanted the same stuff, it would be no fun would it?!!!

Good luck anyway with your search!

love sophia xxx

PS I've lived here for 3 years now, so naturally I find everything expensive!!

Last edited by sophia; Sep 20th 2005 at 2:01 am. Reason: add a PS
Old Sep 20th 2005, 2:16 am

NKSK is an unknown quantity at this point

hiya NKSK
Well of course, as I said, that is only my personal opinion. But I think the thing to look at is how much of a proportion of your wages is that going to be? As I said if I were looking at a WEEKLY rental of that much, I would be buying a place!! If you're only renting with your english cash then I guess it would be ok for a short time. Depending on what sort of work you're doing, most people tend to get much lower wages over here so $350 a week could be a massive chunk of your wages for a rental, but could be worth it for a mortgage. Again everything has to be taken into consideration...do you have children? if so, are you putting them into private education (cos that also costs big time) etc etc.

Also, I live south (Rockingham) where the rents are lower than up North, however, I knew one of the earlier posters on here rented in Hillarys and I'm certain that they didn't pay anything like that much in rent! But then I guess the rental market has probably accelerated like the purchasing market.

Obviously you've done your homework, but when we first arrived our rent was $180 per week for a 4x2 on a large plot in a pretty good location. AGain this was in Rockingham where the rents are much more reasonable. I don't have any first hand experience of renting up north, maybe one of the other regulars from up there could put in their two penneth worth?

Anyway, real estate has a good suburb profiler etc on it...check it out. The search I did in Leeming threw up some rentals for about $280 PW. But this depends on if you're wanting a flashy brand new home, or are happy with an established property. Horses for courses I guess. If we all wanted the same stuff, it would be no fun would it?!!!

Good luck anyway with your search!

love sophia xxx

PS I've lived here for 3 years now, so naturally I find everything expensive!!
Thanks - yep no surprises in what you say. I sometimes wonder if an out of city location would better all things considered.
Old Sep 20th 2005, 2:23 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

love sophia xx
That didnt seem to bad a price to me
The rental cost should be relevant to the purchase price of the property, having a quick look around and similarily described propertys in Leeming would cost $450K plus.
As a rough equation when looking at somewhere to buy to rent out I would work on the weekly rental income in $ needing to be at least the same amount in hundreds of $'s eg a $300 per week rent should be expected from a $300K property. So given the property is probably worth around $450K the weekly rent would need to be around the $450 mark. (I would imagine the current owner paid nearer $300K when they bought it)
Rental incomes are generally to low in WA for anyone considering investing at the moment, generally its a lot cheaper to rent the same property than it is to buy it.
A 100% mortgage to own the place windsurfer WA is renting would cost double what he is paying in rent per week. (450K mortgage is roughly $700 per week to pay back)
So he'd need to have around $250K in equity to put into the same house to be able to buy it and pay the mortgage at the same rate as his rent.
Make's the rent seem a pretty good deal to me.
Steve
Old Sep 20th 2005, 2:29 am
Just Joined

EarlyConvict is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: rentals in south of perth

Hi Sephy,

I know a great house 40km south of the Perth central, in the suburb of Rockingham. This house is available for short term stays and is competitively priced. 'Shoalwater House' is just 50 meters from the Indian Ocean and has truly awesome views of the Shoalwater Islands Marine Park.

The popular seaside Rockingham district is probably the most favoured destination for UK immigrants to Western Australia. It is just 45 minutes south of Perth by car with easy freeway access and a handy bus service.

Just follow the link below and you will see 10 photos of the house and a detailed description of the house and local attractions. Highly recommended!!!

http://www.stayz.com.au/15501
Old Sep 20th 2005, 4:08 am

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by steve99
That didnt seem to bad a price to me
Agreed. When I first read that post I thought $340/wk sounded like a bargain given the description of the house! Are rents really that much lower in Rockingham? I think I'll need to move...!
Old Sep 20th 2005, 4:22 am
LFC
Forum Regular

LFC is an unknown quantity at this point

Try www.emi-great.com for good quality fully furnished short term rentals in the Warnboro, Port Kennedy area!

LFC
Old Sep 20th 2005, 4:23 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saraliz
Agreed. When I first read that post I thought $340/wk sounded like a bargain given the description of the house! Are rents really that much lower in Rockingham? I think I'll need to move...!
I had a quick scan around and couldnt find a great deal in Rockingham that sounded comparable, the closest i got was at $240PW but had no pool.
Most things down there seem to be smaller and older, but can cost anything from about $150pw.
I guess its the fact that you are that much further away from the CBD and Perth and its surrounding suburbs.
What you dont pay in rent you can pay in petrol to get to work instead
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by steve99
I had a quick scan around and couldnt find a great deal in Rockingham that sounded comparable, the closest i got was at $240PW but had no pool.
Most things down there seem to be smaller and older, but can cost anything from about $150pw.
I guess its the fact that you are that much further away from the CBD and Perth and its surrounding suburbs.
What you dont pay in rent you can pay in petrol to get to work instead
hiya steve

I agree that Rockingham is an older, more established city so that means that there are not many McMansions down here...yet (although they are starting to spring up on the tiniest plots...that's down to the railway link thats currently under construction).

I don't want to fall out over this as I really couldn't care less one way or the other, I was just reacting to the amount of rent paid by the earlier poster!!...and to be honest your reasoning about the rental prices etc seem very logical. As I'm not in the rental game I really couldn't comment on it, I just know that living and working here, $340PW seems a lot.

Anyway, here are a couple of examples similar to what was described:

port kennedy

woodbridge And this one is near the new railway line...so it's not in a particularly good area at the moment for noise etc.

And just to show that we do have expensive stuff down here too : rocky foreshore

And as for the amount of petrol used to get to the city, again you are probably right, but not everyone needs to work in the city! So again as I said before it really does depend on your circumstances etc.

love sophia xx
Old Sep 20th 2005, 10:25 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK
Hi Sophia,

Hi,
when we first arrived we rented in Kensington which a good suburb just south of the river and only a few suburbs along from Leeming.

We had a 3x2 with a study which could be a 4th bedroom (just), medium sized garden and no pool, we were paying $320pw, so I think the rent windsurfer is paying is quite fair.

Its not normal to offer much below the asking price (unless the house has been unrented for some time) Generally what you find are the nice houses are snapped up quickly, so you dont have time to faff about negotiating lower rents cos there's always someone who will pay.

plus Perth has a system whereby all interested renter put their name in and then the landlord picks which tenant he wants, so if you put your name in with a condition stating a lower amount of rent then its unlikely you will get it, unless as I said earlier its been on the rental market for some time and there is no other interest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.